General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Essential Week-By-Week OR BT 24 Week IM? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-01-30 7:32 AM

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
Subject: Essential Week-By-Week OR BT 24 Week IM?

I bought the book, Essential Week-By-Week Training Guide and am looking at the level 1 plan for an IM in 2010. (I know, how early can you be!)  I am looking now so I can compare my training this year to what I will have to commit to for next year.

Any recommendations on whether to use the Essential one or the BT plan?  Pros and cons of each if you know? Is the level one enough training to finish an IM under 15 hours?  Would the BT plan be better since I log all my workouts on the site? I like to train by time, not distance since I travel a lot and don't always know route distances I am running or biking on.

Any advice is appreciated!

Edited by Gregkl 2009-01-30 7:34 AM

2009-01-30 10:46 AM
in reply to: #1937015

User image

Expert
Mt. Morris, IL
Subject: RE: Essential Week-By-Week OR BT 24 Week IM?

For my first IM I used one of the BT plans and it worked out fine.  For my second IM I used the level 6 plan form Essential week-by-week and it worked out very well.  If it is your first IM I don't think the plans will matter all that much.  You just need to do your best to follow what ever plan you do decide to go with. 

I love the Essential Week-by-Week guide because you have a ton of plans to pick from depending on your goals and time to train.  If I remember correctly, other then the swim it is all time based.  My plan was also easy enough to modify based on my race schedule and shuffle some weeks around. 

Use the one that fits your schedule best (as to avoid moving workouts within the week around).

2009-01-30 12:59 PM
in reply to: #1937428

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Here is my basic reason I like the BT plans over the WBW plans.  The BT plans offer more variaty.  Period.  The WBW plans are just really repetitive week to week.  Training for a IM is a grind no matter what, so it helps to at least mix it up a little.  Weeks are not just repeats of the previous week (except for workout length).

I DIDN'T like the begginer BT IM plan because of the several SUPER long weeks (20+ hours).  Plus a lot of long runs on Thursdays (tough to get done after work for me), AND weeks  you have a long bike on a Sat. followed by a long run on Sun.  Too hard on me.

The advanced BT IM plan was just too hard.

I ended up using the BT Int IM plan and I really liked it.  It was a great balance of workouts and time per week.  Only about 15 hours per week, and no recovery weeks, per say (I didn't seem to  need them).  They would alternate long bikes and long runs every weekend.  It got me through the race and I felt great.  I would use it again.

HOWEVER, If I wanted to get through another IM, I would stongly consider the WBW level 1 plan - especially if you just want the minimum amount of time needed.  I'm REALLY considering this plan if I choose to do Silverman again and not be really concerned with going faster than last time.

I may add, I also just like the ease that the BT plans load up and can be manipulated...

Edited by Aikidoman 2009-01-30 1:02 PM
2009-01-30 3:12 PM

User image

Expert
Newton, MA
I did the beginner BT IM plan. It had more biking than the intermediate. If it's your first and you just want to finish then it probably doesn't matter which one you choose. Ramp up your swimming biking and running to high levels, then race. If you're trying to KQ, you probably want a coach and/or already know what you need to work on.
2009-01-30 3:19 PM
in reply to: #1937767

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
Aikidoman - 2009-01-30 12:59 PM

Here is my basic reason I like the BT plans over the WBW plans.  The BT plans offer more variaty.  Period.  I like variety. The WBW plans are just really repetitive week to week.  Training for a IM is a grind no matter what, so it helps to at least mix it up a little.  Weeks are not just repeats of the previous week (except for workout length).

I DIDN'T like the begginer BT IM plan because of the several SUPER long weeks (20+ hours).  That would be tough for me to find that kind of time. Plus a lot of long runs on Thursdays (tough to get done after work for me)Same here, AND weeks  you have a long bike on a Sat. followed by a long run on Sun.  Too hard on me.

The advanced BT IM plan was just too hard.

I ended up using the BT Int IM plan and I really liked it.  It was a great balance of workouts and time per week.  Only about 15 hours per week, and no recovery weeks, per say (I didn't seem to  need them).  They would alternate long bikes and long runs every weekend.  It got me through the race and I felt great.  I would use it again. This sounds good!

HOWEVER, If I wanted to get through another IM, I would stongly consider the WBW level 1 plan - especially if you just want the minimum amount of time needed.  I'm REALLY considering this plan if I choose to do Silverman again and not be really concerned with going faster than last time. This will be my first and though my goal is to finish, my deep down stretch goal is to finish under 14 hours.  Is this plan less hours than the int BT im plan?

I may add, I also just like the ease that the BT plans load up and can be manipulated... like this too!

2009-02-02 12:29 PM

Extreme Veteran

I spent quite a bit of time analysing the WBW book (you have to with all those codes) so I got quite familiar with it and felt I liked the structure and level of training (L6 IM plan).

I still think it is great and hs worked well for me. However in hindsight, the small fee for BT would have been well worth it in the coaching support and opportunities to ask questions.

Most plans are well thought out and will work for most people. So the added bonus of having support available is worth far more than what you might think is the "best plan".

Gerrard

2009-02-02 12:56 PM
in reply to: #1938061

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Gregkl - 2009-01-30 1:19 PM

HOWEVER, If I wanted to get through another IM, I would stongly consider the WBW level 1 plan - especially if you just want the minimum amount of time needed.  I'm REALLY considering this plan if I choose to do Silverman again and not be really concerned with going faster than last time. This will be my first and though my goal is to finish, my deep down stretch goal is to finish under 14 hours.  Is this plan less hours than the int BT im plan?

I

I'm not sure, to be honest.  I would look at the peak week (week 21, I think) and add up the hours.  I want to say that the PEAK week is about 18, but every other week would be less than that.

I look at three things.  I make sure that the starting volume is comfortable.  If it starts too hard, than I probably won't be able to keep up as it progresses.  That's probably one of the biggest things I look at.

The second, I find the peak week and determine the length, and see what the average week consists of (time wise) and see if I'm up for it.

Third, I look at long bikes and long runs.  THE most important part of an IM plan IMO.  I want to know when, how long, how often, and see if it works with my life.

Only after meeting those three requirements, do I start looking at the week by week details to see if I like they layout.

I'm guessing I would do one of two things when I do my next one.  Go with a WBW level 1-4 to just survive, OR, if I want to be a little more competitive, go with the BT advanced plan.

BTW, I also like the BT plans because they include weight training.  You could always add it to the WBW plans, but the BT has it incorporated, and can be downloaded into the logs.

2009-02-02 2:43 PM
in reply to: #1937767

User image

Expert
Mt. Morris, IL

Aikidoman - 2009-01-30 11:59 AM

Here is my basic reason I like the BT plans over the WBW plans.  The BT plans offer more variaty.  Period.  The WBW plans are just really repetitive week to week.  Training for a IM is a grind no matter what, so it helps to at least mix it up a little.  Weeks are not just repeats of the previous week (except for workout length).

One of the things I liked was that I knew what I was going to get each week.  I think that it helped that I know what days I was going to do intervals and what days were going to be slower.  It made life easy once I established a routine.

Edited by nccgrap 2009-02-02 2:46 PM
2009-02-02 6:32 PM
in reply to: #1941471

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
Aikidoman - 2009-02-02 12:56 PM
Gregkl - 2009-01-30 1:19 PM

I

I'm not sure, to be honest.  I would look at the peak week (week 21, I think) and add up the hours.  I want to say that the PEAK week is about 18, but every other week would be less than that.

I look at three things.  I make sure that the starting volume is comfortable.  If it starts too hard, than I probably won't be able to keep up as it progresses.  That's probably one of the biggest things I look at.

The second, I find the peak week and determine the length, and see what the average week consists of (time wise) and see if I'm up for it.

Third, I look at long bikes and long runs.  THE most important part of an IM plan IMO.  I want to know when, how long, how often, and see if it works with my life.

Only after meeting those three requirements, do I start looking at the week by week details to see if I like they layout.

I'm guessing I would do one of two things when I do my next one.  Go with a WBW level 1-4 to just survive, OR, if I want to be a little more competitive, go with the BT advanced plan.

BTW, I also like the BT plans because they include weight training.  You could always add it to the WBW plans, but the BT has it incorporated, and can be downloaded into the logs.

Thanks!  If I go with a Gold plan, would I be able to ask a "coach" how to adjust the plan for a spring mary and a summer century?  I am thinking about doing a HIM plan this year to prep for the Muncie Endurathon in July, and fill in with other events for practice without altering my training or tapering for the event. 

Edited by Gregkl 2009-02-02 6:34 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Essential Week-By-Week OR BT 24 Week IM? Rss Feed