United States
20F / -7C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 35m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = Beginner Male
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 7:00, ate some breakfast, got the kids breakfast and headed out to Leesburg
Event warmup:

Putting a ton of clothes on to warm up.
Bike
  • 1h 35m
  • 15 miles
  • 9.47 mile/hr
Comments:

This was my first ever mountain bike race. I woke up and looked at weather.com said it was 20 degrees out with a windchill of 12. I heard plenty of people talk before the race started about how everyone was going to fall because of the conditions. Race started, and a few people fell within 10 feet of the start.

Because of the conditions I couldn't take my hands off the bars to start my watch which didn't really matter because you couldn't ride at your own pace if you wanted to. It was almost all single track and where there was room to pass was deeper snow and more ice, so I just hung behind whoever was in front of me at the time.

It was very pretty riding through the farmland into the trees. There was ice evewhere on the course. People were flying off into the woods left and right. Unfortunately that was really the only option for me to pass, wait for the person in front to fall, make sure they were ok then take off.

I definitely was out of control a few times. I couldn't ever get my shoes clipped in since I was wearing the neoprene boots which I think was actually a good thing. Whenever I started to get out of control I could put my foot down, on a tree, on a rock, or whatever to push me back on line.

I was very proud of my 10 year old, abused, too small for me hard tail stumpjumper. We were able to climb stuff that I saw quite a few others have to get off and push. Some of the log piles were a bit tough as I had to try to bunny hop them to keep from grinding my big ring on them. I did slam the family jewels once but was able to hang on and get back on track.

Funny I had trouble keeping up on some of the down hill sections but was able to pass/hang with everyone on the up hill or technical sections.

I did have to get off the bike 2x because my hands were so numb that I couldn't grab the brake. Eventually they got acclimated but that cost me some time and positions as when I had to hop off I was with a pretty fast group that probably finished near the front of the pack.

All and all it was a very fun day, seriously challenging conditions, especially for me since I am such a cold wimp and hadn't really tested my gloves on the bike in the cold.
What would you do differently?:

Make sure I had enough clothes on to stay warm.
Post race
Warm down:

Hopped in the car and drove to McDonalds for some hot coffee.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

First ever mtn bike race, not sure if I could have done much better, I was able to keep it upright when others wern't and still hold a pretty decent pace.

Event comments:

Fun race, would be fun to try it without the ice and snow.

Last updated: 2009-01-01 12:00 AM
Biking
01:35:00 | 15 miles | 9.47 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: 90% single track through forest and farmland. Most of the ground was covered with snow or ice. On the 2nd lap there was a bit of mud.
Road: Rough  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Drinks:
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-01-31 12:44 PM

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Subject: Snotcycle

2009-02-02 8:53 AM
in reply to: #1938926

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
Subject: RE: Snotcycle
Okay, I'm the slow one today. The 10 year old is the bike right?  I read and re-read that so many times trying to figure it out, but I think I got it.  Glad you had fun out there. Sounds like it would have been a challanging race even in good conditions so you should be very proud. 
2009-02-02 12:32 PM
in reply to: #1938926

User image

Extreme Veteran
shenandoah valley
NIce job on your first mountain bike race. I would've like to have done this race, especially considering the conditions. htfu and all that, and I like the Plum Grove guys.
2009-02-02 12:38 PM
in reply to: #1940866

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete

Great job Dale!  I started out way to fast, I was confident in the flats.  Didn't realize how gnarly some of the trail would be.  I had fun, including having to jump off my bike to avoid eating bark!  Totally different effort than my slow and steady for triathlon & marathon training.  I am sure that I was in zone 4 most of the race, with a little 3 and 5 mixed in.

No time for daydreaming, either, ehhh?  Almost dropped my bike another 6 or so times.

I was riding a bright yellow "Hummer" bike (Actually the Montague paratrooper  pictured below.  Built for speed of assembly and durability.  Not speed of travel, though!

Edited by pga_mike 2009-02-02 12:39 PM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Snotcycle Rss Feed