Sarasota YMCA
45F / 7C
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 47/162
Age Group = 50-55
Age Group Rank = 2/6
Pre-race routine:

Well - since this was my 1st TRI I can't qualify this as routine. However, this is what I did. Did have a little race anxiety the night before. Took awhile to get to sleep. But eventually I did and I didn't need the alarm clock in the morning. Woke up around 5:30AM. Had my morning diet of Greek Yogurt and fruit (today it was a banana). Not really hungry so I didn't finish it. The car was loaded and ready to go so I was off around 6:30AM. Got to the event around 6:45AM, unloaded the bike, setup my transition area and checked in.
Event warmup:

Folks it was COLD out there this morning. I know I'm a Florida wimp but it was 40 degrees. As I was pulling into the parking lot the lights surrounding the pool were on and there was this plume of steam hovering over the pool. A welcome site. Anyway, prior to the start of the race I was able to do my 1/2 mile fast walk as a warm up. Got the heart pumping a little bit (HR around 108).
Swim
  • 08m 56s
  • 400 meters
  • 02m 14s / 100 meters
Comments:

I didn't do badly given my current swim technique and training. I felt strong the first 150 meters but I knew I was going a little too fast for me. I did freestyle the entire swim and didn't rest at any of the walls. I did 3 stroke breathing for about 40% of race, 2 stroke the remainder of the race (sorry Gordo - I'm working on breaking that habit). The girl behind me passed me at about 60 meters (she was flying-at least in my mind). Prior to the swim start she mentioned that she finished her last 400 meter TRI in 11 minutes but it was in open water. I did managed to pass 3 people during the swim. One pass was a little tough because 2 people where side by side and I had to split them in the middle of the lane. Kind of tight. I probably expended more energy on that pass than I should have but you live and learn.
What would you do differently?:

Gordo warned me that it would be hard to relax in the water during your 1st race. He was right on. I just didn't swim as relaxed as I have in my latest workouts. When I got out of the water my HR was at 158. I'm thinking holy crap - what did I just do. Way over my ZONE. I know I have got a ton of work to do on my swim technique going forward. But you know what - 3 months ago I could not finish 50 meters without holding onto a wall for 2 minutes. So I have come a long, long way.
Transition 1
  • 02m 24s
Comments:

Seeing that my HR was at 158 after getting out of the pool I knew that I needed to relax a bit during T1 transition. So I took my time. Dried off, got dressed, had a casual conversion with my lovely wife and I was off.

I forgot to put my frickin sunglasses on. It was cool outside and my eyes are sensitive so my eyes were watering for the 1st half of the bike. Stupid. Where does the mind wonder when your in a race?
Bike
  • 46m 19s
  • 12 miles
  • 15.55 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike portion of the race went very well. I knew that I had to bring my HR down so I didn't slam it out of the gate. In fact, I was so concerned with my HR that I was constantly checking it early during the bike. This screwed up my race stop watch (which is also my HR monitor). Somehow while checking my HR I managed to pause my stop watch. I'm not entirely sure when it happened but it was early during the bike. Crap!!! I restarted the stop watch once I discovered that I paused it. So, I'm not sure what my overall bike time was. I'm also not sure what my overall race time was. I guess I'll have to wait for the organization that runs the race to post it. O'well - it happens. Back to the bike - about half way thru the bike I was able to settle my HR back into my biking ZONE. A couple people (maybe 3) passed me during the bike and I passed maybe a dozen people. I love being on the bike and it felt really, really good.

Pay more attention to my watch when checking my HR. Also, I wonder how much of a difference a real bike would make? I'm riding this old mountain bike now. I like it - but that doesn't stop me from wondering!!!!
Transition 2
  • 00m 40s
Comments:

I was out of T2 pretty fast. Of course I didn't have to do much. Took off my helmet, put on my sunglasses (that I forgot to put on in T1). My transition area was right next to where the biking course stopped and the running course began - so with some rookie luck I was off to the run in less than 1 minute.

Nothing.
Run
  • 20m 6s
  • 2.2 miles
  • 09m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

The run felt really super. One person passed me during the run and I passed about 15 people. That little hill that I mentioned was placed perfectly for my run/walk protocol. I hit the hill at 11 minutes into the race, walked it in around 15 seconds and then I was back on the run. My run pace was super for me. My HR was maybe 6-8 beats higher than normal (nothing to sweat). I could of gone much further and despite the fact that my HR was spiked after the swim, I adjusted and saved plenty for the running portion of the race.

Not really much. I probably could have used a drink of water before the run started but it was cool outside and I was well hydrated before the race.
Post race
Warm down:

Met the family, chatted, and had some Gatorade, strawberries, and bananas. That was followed up with a nice Starbuck's latte (the 1st I have had since the training started).

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing. I'm right where I need to be given that I'm 50, weighed 250 lbs 12 months ago, spent the last 15 years on the couch, and am 3 months into TRI training stuff. I don't have a pressing need to go faster at this point in time. That will come naturally if I'm consistent and patient with my training. I've been told by a very wise person that if I have a need to go faster I should start hanging out with slower people. :)

Event comments:

You know what - I'm totally satisfied with my performance today. I'm three months into this journey and I exceeded my expectations. I'm not sure what my overall race time is going to be. I know it took me at least 1:09:36. My guess is that I come in between 1:15:00 and 1:20:00. My thoughts prior to the race were to come in under 1:30:00. So I'm happy.

To my fellow G-Man mentoree's - your day is coming. I can't wait to cheer you on. You going to love the experience. THANKS for all the support.

To the G-Man himself - THANK YOU. You said you were going to help get to my Superbowl. You did that and so much more.

Last updated: 2008-11-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:56 | 400 meters | 02m 14s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/6
Overall: 0/162
Performance: Below average
Suit: Speedo
Course: Sarasota YMCA Potter Park. 50 meter pool with 8 lanes so you did 1 lap in each lane. The race was staggered by your projected finish time. So I was number 124 out of 200 people. They did a 10 second stagger between each athlete. In my case numbers 122 and 123 did not show up so there was a 30 second gap between myself and the person in front of me. The girl behind me started 10 seconds after I did.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:24
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:46:19 | 12 miles | 15.55 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: On local roads. There was car traffic but the roads had a biking lane so cars were not a concern. However, there were a couple stop signs/lights on the course and we had to obey the traffic laws (there were volunteers at these intersections that directed us). I was pretty lucky and only had to slow down at one intersection during the race (for maybe 40 seconds).
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:40
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:20:06 | 02.2 miles | 09m 08s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: It was a winding course that ran thru the "wilderness" behind the YMCA. Very little of the course was run on a road surface. Most of it was on the ground. There was one really tiny hill (well it was an embankment - but that qualifies as a hill in Sarasota, FL!!!). They did have people on the course directing the runners but I did manage to get a little confused at one section and started down the wrong course for about 20 seconds. I corrected that and got back on course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-02-01 3:14 PM

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL
Subject: Superbowl Y-Tri

2009-02-02 3:56 AM
in reply to: #1940061

User image

Regular
Essex, England
Subject: RE: Superbowl Y-Tri

Awesome Jeff well done on a strong race.

Sounds like you are overall happy with your performance and have been bitten by the tri bug. Onwards to the next race then. I would say a road/tri bike will make a big difference to your time but wont necessarily raise your enjoyment level. I borrowed one from a mate until I bought myself a new one but my MTB was a downhill one so useless for road races.

Anyway many congratulations on completing your first triathlon

2009-02-02 8:08 AM

User image

Champion

OH MY OH MY OH MY.  jeff.  im soooo excited for you!  what fun to read your race report. thanks for sharing your journey

and WHAT A JOURNEY IT WAS.  WHAT A JOURNEY ITS BEEN....

to think of where you 'came from' to where you are now - AMAZING.

but then to think of where you are headed - that is INCREDIBLY EXCITING.

your execution was flawless, in spite of the HR, the glasses, your watch et al.

most importantly, you remained relaxed and focused. 

even w that high HR after the swim, you were self-aware, then focused.  you were able to recover and get yourself back 'in the zone' quickly.  thats the sign of a TRUE athlete, jeff...no panic, just do what you had to do to get to where you needed to be to be able to finish the way you wanted to....

you trusted your training, and most importantly TRUSTED YOURSELF 

you even managed to learn some lessons along the way that you can take into your next race.

and what about that STRONG FINISH.  WOW.  SUPERB.

OFF TO A GREAT START.  MADE ADJUSTMENTS.  STAYED RELAXED.  FOCUSED.  FINISHED STRONG.

id say, cant get much better than that. 

you said,  'I'm totally satisfied with my performance today. I'm three months into this journey and I exceeded my expectations.' 

you have every reason to be TOTALLY SATISFIED, jeff.   

savor the moment, celebrate your accomplishment (what you just accomplished is HUGE) and then look to the horizon my friend. 

your tri-future is very, very BRIGHT.

onwardandupward

stacieb

ps - how bout them Steelers?

Edited by skrtrnr 2009-02-02 8:13 AM
2009-02-02 8:30 AM

Illinois

Jeff,

Congrats!  That was a great race.  Nice race report.  Can't wait to read the one after your next race.

2009-02-02 11:52 AM

User image

New York

Jeff,

Congrats!  Sounds like you had a great race.  Keep it going!

Doug G 

2009-02-02 1:06 PM

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member

Nice job!

I've been stalking you guys in Gordo's thread. (Not in the weird creepy sense, though, so don't be alarmed...)

Impressive! Keep up the good work.  Laughing

2009-02-02 1:16 PM

User image

Regular
Right on! Great insight. I'm going to read this one again before my first Tri in April. You inspire me!
2009-02-02 3:39 PM

User image

Master
Central, IL

Like the great song says --"That's what it's all about!"

Nice!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Superbowl Y-Tri Rss Feed