General Discussion Race Reports! » Redondo Beach Super Bowl Sunday 10K Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Redondo Beach Super Bowl Sunday 10K - Run10k

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Redondo Beach, California
United States
Redondo Beach Chamber of Commerce
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 55m 43s
Overall Rank = 1398/3620
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 182/327
Pre-race routine:

This was my first 10k, and first pure running race. The run legs at the last 2 sprints were my only other running experience, so I was a touch apprehensive about this one. I woke up at about 6 a.m. and had a bowl of cereal and banana, and got my stuff together. My wife woke up shortly thereafter and we loaded everyone in the car and were out the door on time.
Event warmup:

I arrived with some time to spare and just checked in and milled about. It became quickly apparent that I wouldn't find my family again until the race started - we'd split up when we arrived. The crowd was bigger than I'd expected. I sipped Gatorade and took it in. As the race time closed in, I took a spot in the mid/back of the pack and just tried to get loose.
Run
  • 55m 43s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

I started off in the pack, and it didn't feel much different than a swim start. Of course, it wasn't rough, but there was a sardine can feeling to it all. Just penned in for about the first mile and a half. That dominated my thinking early on. At the time, I was frustrated because I felt it was holding me back. Later on, I reconsidered, thinking maybe it saved me from some irrational exuberance. The first mile was a 9:25 pace.

About half way through mile 2, things opened up a bit, and I started to settle in. My plan going into the race was to start with a steady first 3 miles and then build from there. I'd never run greater than 6 miles before a several weeks ago, so was worried about falling apart on the back end. As things opened up, so did my pace, which was 8:54 for mile 2.

I really caught my stride in the middle two miles, and besides starting to feel a bit hot (I was wearing 2 shirts because I couldn't find my wife before the start to give her one), I felt good. Steady breathing, strong legs, no side stitch. Nice. Miles 3 and 4 were 8:33 and 8:34 respectively.

Getting into mile 5 there was a slight incline, and I felt myself tiring. My HR, which was around the high 170's and just over 180, started to creep up into the mid 180's. I started to worry I'd bonk. Part of endurance sports I need to work on is the mental side. 50 some minutes is a lot of time to think. I began to see people walking and had to talk myself out of some negative thoughts. I told myself going in that I wouldn't walk (as I did during the run on the Turkey Tri) as my minimum goal, and steeled my resolve somewhat. Mile 5 was my second slowest at 8:56.

Mile 6 and the finish was interesting. I was starting to wear down more and my body wanted to close out a training run. My mind had to remind me that it's supposed to hurt -- it's an f'n race. In retrospect, I had more in the tank here, and was afraid to use it. Got to fix that. At the tail end of mile 6 is a steep, but short, incline. It took a lot out of me. Fortunately, I recovered after a couple hundred feet on top and was able to pick things up down the home stretch. I saw my family at the last turn- which was wonderful. Crossed the tape within a minute of what McMillan's calculator said I would. Final mile was 8:46.
What would you do differently?:

I'd begin the race a bit closer to the front, maybe 1/3 back instead of 2/3's back. I also only need one shirt. I didn't drink during the race, and that was fine given the moderate conditions.

More fundamentally, I just need to train more and gain confidence. It was a good learning experience. I need more of this. I'm sure this will help my Oly in early March- now I know the distance is no biggie at all. I just need to HTFU mentally and get after it training wise.
Post race
Warm down:

Just grabbed a drink and found the family, who were playing on a grassy hillside.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Experience, lack of mental toughness, and limited run training.

Last updated: 2008-12-24 12:00 AM
Running
00:55:43 | 06.21 miles | 08m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 182/327
Overall: 1398/3620
Performance: Average
Course:
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3