General Discussion Race Reports! » Surf City USA 5K (Pacific Shoreline) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Surf City USA 5K (Pacific Shoreline) - Run5k

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Huntington Beach, California
United States
Kinane Events
Overcast
Total Time = 24m 29s
Overall Rank = 205/2508
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 15/102
Event warmup:

The mile and a half walk from the parking lot to the race, one cup of coffee.
Run
  • 24m 29s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

Overcast morning that turned into fog really fast! Chilly out, so I kept on a light jacket and knit cap. I decided that I'd get into the first wave and try to keep up with the fast group, and I hung with the back of the pack for most of the way, overtaking some at the end. Good run, but I probably went too fast in the beginning trying to pace the group, because I was tired the last mile.

Also, I felt really old because was basically "racing" a couple of kids about 11 or 12 years old the whole way. I beat them both. Barely :)
What would you do differently?:

Probably should have paced better to start and found my speed at the end, instead of the other way around.
Post race
Warm down:

Walk back to the car.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My cousin's 40th b-day party the night before! Only one beer all night, but I was out until 1:00am ... my wife *wasn't* racing and wanted to dance.

Event comments:

First, my bib was missing when I went to pick it up ... they probably gave it to someone else. No problem for me, I was able to get a new number, but whomever got my number by mistake got screwed because that bib number now shows up as "unknown runner" and his or her time won't count. It was a good time, too ... better than mine.

Second, none of the young volunteers could direct me to the start of the 5k, which is not the same start as the marathon and half. One guy actually sent me the wrong way and after walking a half mile, I started to follow all the 5k bibs heading the other direction. No big deal as I had plenty of time.

Parking was a nightmare, buut it was a big event so that's to be expected.

Overall, though, I thought it was a great experience and a really well-run event. Nice staff (but clueless volunteers), great expo, very organized ... well done.

Last updated: 2008-12-03 12:00 AM
Running
00:24:29 | 03.11 miles | 07m 52s  min/mile
Age Group: 15/102
Overall: 205/2508
Performance:
Course: Flat as can be! A simple up and back down Pacific Coast Highway through Huntington Beach.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-02-01 4:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carlsbad, CA
Subject: Surf City USA 5K (Pacific Shoreline)

2009-02-01 6:31 PM
in reply to: #1940148

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Subject: RE: Surf City USA 5K (Pacific Shoreline)
Great job! I was looking for your (original) number at the finish...never saw it...probably just as well...I'd have been yelling "Go, Morgan!" at someone who wasn't you.
2009-02-02 12:58 PM

User image

Master
Long Beach, CA
Great job Morgan! Super fast time out there! It was a little chilly, but once I got moving it felt great. I wish I could have met you. Maybe another time!
2009-02-02 10:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Great job out there! Good time and good race
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Surf City USA 5K (Pacific Shoreline) Rss Feed