North Coast Tri Club
25C / 77F
Sunny
Total Time = 47m 24s
Overall Rank = 81/110
Age Group = 30 - 34
Age Group Rank = 1/2
Pre-race routine:

Worked all day, and was all excited about the Aquathlon early in the day, the closer it got the more tired I got and the less interested I was in actually doing it.
I just couldn't be bothered. its a bit of a big ask doing a race on a Fri arvo!

anyway drove up to sorrento and was there on time to register and set up the tiny transition that I needed. I loved the whole not packing bike gear etc. swim and run gear is nice and easy.
Event warmup:

No warm up. I just tried to psych myself into having some kind of energy and get rid of the can't be bothered attitude.

Looking at the big chop in the ocean and htinking what on earth am I doing this for.

The race is actually 500m swim 2.4k run 500m swim 2.4k run will adjust the race report accordingly
Run
  • 12m 55s
  • 2.4 kms
  • 05m 23s  min/km
Comments:

running with wet sandy feet in my sneakers is not a good idea, I had to settle and get my breath back on the first lap but then tried to run a bit faster on the second two laps. I felt like I was running on my limits so was pretty happy to be pushing myself a bit
What would you do differently?:

run faster, maybe get a bit more sand off my feet first.
Transition 1
  • 00m 35s
Comments:

I'd already taken off the cap and goggles running up the beach so just threw on the sneakers sand and all and off I went

maybe get a bit more of the sand off my feet
Swim
  • 20m
  • 1000 meters
  • 02m / 100 meters
Comments:

Swim 1 9.11m 500ms
The swell and chop were huge so I knew this was going to be a fun/challenging swim. the start was a bit average I'm wary of sprinting into the water and diving and off I go as I'm wary about my calf. So I trotted into the water dolphin dived a few times and I was away. it was a bit rough and tumble heading out to the first buoy.

I could not see the first buoy at all the waves were just too big, but I had a great time swimming over and under the waves. at one stage neither my legs or arms were in the water!
luckily there was an IRB on the first turn around buoy so I used that to sight off. rounded it and started getting hammered and clobbered by the wave of guys behind! I'm not used to getting caught by the wave behind. super fast guys were poudning over the top of me. managed to swing wide a little to avoid them.

after the first buoy I started using the current/swell to help me get back into the shore faster. jumped out and tried to sprint up the beach but it probably looked more like jogging to any spectators.

This swim was alot tougher then the first, I could not see the buoy to sight at all on the way out. I struggled sighting as a result of the waves. I managed to get past the breakers pretty well and just kept swimming out to sea hoping that the closer I got to the buoy that I might glimpse it.

I had to stop and defog my goggles 2 times which slowed me down a bit. but just swam on through the chop and swell and tried to use it to my advantage as best I could

swim faster ;)
Transition 2
  • 00m 35s
Comments:

again quick transitions shoes came off very quickly after the first run, and shoes went back on just as quickly after the second swim

get more sand off my feet
Run
  • 12m 41s
  • 4.8 kms
  • 02m 38s  min/km
Comments:

The second run felt alot harder the nthe first one. I was just running along in my own little dreamworld, thinking that even though 2.4k is very short when you think about it. when you are actually trying to run it fast its actually quite long. (thats my logic when I'm racing anyway)

On my second lap a girl went running past me, and I passed a volunteer who I know, he said come on Mel sprint, which was just the encouragement I needed at that point. I came otu of my dreamworld and actually picked up the pace and pushed it a bit harder.
I managed to pass t he girl back and then passed another 3 girls. I really had to surge to pass each of the girls. on the way back in on the last lap I was very proud that I pushed it hard and passed people. only to find out the last girl I passed still had an extra lap to do as I was finishing so I was already in front of her. hehe how funny!

run faster
Post race
Warm down:

I ran into Shaun (Try-athlete) afterwards we have decided we are the male female equivalent of each other. our race times were within seconds of each other.

I tucked into an awesome sausage sizzle and a beer that went down very nicely waiting for the presentations. and was blown away to find out I had won my age group! How hilarious its an awesome race and not many people actually compete I just lucked out that there was only 2 people in my age group I beat her by a few seconds!

hehe picking races with low numbers does come in handy. I am now State champ aquathlete in my age group haha! And I got a lovely Medal to prove it!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

my level of abilities ;)

Last updated: 2009-01-27 12:00 AM
Running
00:12:55 | 02.4 kms | 05m 23s  min/km
Age Group: 2/2
Overall: 95/110
Performance: Good
Course: 3* 800m laps on the grass and paths
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
T1
Time:  00:35
Overall: Good
Putting on cap, goggles and wetsuit:
Getting out of shoes:
Swimming
00:20:00 | 1000 meters | 02m / 100meters
Age Group: 1/2
Overall: 60/110
Performance: Average
Suit: trisuit
Course: U shaped course, out from the shore right turn at a buoy, 200m's parallel to shore right turn at buoy and back into the shore.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 24C / 75F Current: High
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding:
T1
Time:  00:35
Overall:
Removing cap, goggles and wetsuit:
Getting into shoes:
Running
00:12:41 | 04.8 kms | 02m 38s  min/km
Age Group: 1/2
Overall: 81/110
Performance: Good
Course: same as first run
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2009-02-01 9:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Perth, Oz
Subject: State Aquathlon Championships

2009-02-02 6:23 AM
in reply to: #1940475

User image

Perth, WA
Subject: RE: State Aquathlon Championships

Maybe I need a sex change so I can join your category!

Nice swim times, especially with the swell as big as it was.

I rode past there yesterday (Sunday) and it was dead flat, how ironic!

2009-02-03 7:24 PM

User image

Expert
Herndon VA

Hey Mel,

Congrats on the hardware!  That sounded like a hard race.  You did really well.

Ernie

2009-02-04 3:55 PM

User image

Champion
Sydney

Woo hoo!!! Hardware!!!

Congratulations State Champ!!!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » State Aquathlon Championships Rss Feed