Triahtlon NSW
38C / 100F
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 52m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

So here is the thing... this race wasnt about me... it was about the 13 other women that were doing their very first triathlon today because I asked them to...

At 5am they started to knock on my door, we had planned to eat breakfast together and pool our food resources. It was also a really good chance to ask any last minute questions! We were all still waking up!

Driving to the race event we learnt lesson #1 of the day...do NOT EVER put me in charge of navigation. The girls in the first race only just made it in time for their registration!!! I was both stressed and embarrassed but apparently the shot of adrenaline was good for racing ;)
Event warmup:

So from our 6:30am arrival to when my race started about 4 hours later I was moving around, cheering the women through their races, giving out hugs to them after they finished, chatting, getting hot and sweaty in the sunshine (it was HOT) - basically NOT doing the things you are supposed to do pre race.

I did not sit quietly in the shade, I did not stay off my feet and I did not relax! Ooops... I did try to stay hydrated but that as about the only thing I did right! And I had such a BLAST hanging out and cheering on the others Id gone to the race with I wouldnt change any of the pre race activities for anything... it was about THEM!!!

Apparently in the lead up to my event I got very quiet... to quote a colleague 'Ive never seen you so still and quiet'... I started to think about the race, and how hard the run was going to be..and how all these people were going to see me fail... ooops! I felt a lot of pressure to be good after getting them all out there to race...
Swim
  • 11h 24m
  • 500 meters
  • 2h 16m 48s / 100 meters
Comments:

What an amazing swim!!! The best part of the race... I was 31/127 which was phenomenal to me :)

Deep water start seeded myself in the second row just out to the side of my wave. The other two girls I was racing with were next to me and I checked they were good... in the hands of the starter... and GO!!!

I went straight into a comfortable pace and held it. Found some feet to follow which helped with my terrible navigation too! Until someone else swam into me and kicked me a few times... OW!!!

Oh well changed my line and kept going... found some more feet later on - actually did some spotting - woo hoo! The swim was over much sooner than I expected too!

Came up to the buoy - spotted and realised I had come in narrow, thankfully the life guards were gesturing where I was heading when I put my head up to spot and pointed me in the right direction...still thumped my arm on the buoy (a metal barrel) on the way round and headed to the exit where I went up a little rise and came across the timing mat to head to transition.
What would you do differently?:

Not a thing! This was my best triathlon swim ever... no panics, no nerves, no breathlessness and I pretty much stayed on course!
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

NB: Transition times are included in the bike so I have NO idea how long I took.

Jogged towards transition and saw a couple of the support crew heading over - yelled out 'hello'! They didnt expect to see me so soon! So no photos of me coming out of the water... how lucky am I?? :)

Headed to transition - Team shirt on, sunnies on, shoes on, helmet, grab bike...walk tenatively in cleats to the mount line and off I go!

Not much... I have 3 strap cycle shoes that I LOVE and are pretty easy to get on... I am terrible walking in cleats but a flying mount is not high on my list of things to learn right now!!!
Bike
  • 53h 29m
  • 20 kms
  • 0.37 km/hr
Comments:

Mounted my bike, clipped in first time (woo hoo! first time for that in a race) and let out a MASSIVE yell as I took off... I knew doing this ride in 40 mins should be a cinch.. ummm... well thats what I was thinking...

Headed over the bridge and on to the course and something didnt feel right... my legs didnt have it... switched into the BCR as planned and they said NO! hmmm...back to the SCR and spun my legs over... ok that feelsa bit better.. lets play here for a bit.. I was panting heavily and couldnt work out what was going there either - very unusual for me on a bike!

Hmmm ok Im holding my spot mostly in the line so just keep moving...the back of our shirts said '...My story is about commitment' and I got many comments on how great they were as later in the ride my legs just died...

Instead of racing around the course in the BCR as planned with about 7-8k to go I was riding slower than I have in a LONG time... and struggling BIG TIME. I was desparate for a drink too... I really need to master the drink and ride thing...

I finished the ride a bit confused as to WHY my legs had given up on me... and my legs all toasted too... hmmm ....

Not sure... more time in the BCR? Learn to drink and ride? Practice swim to bike transitions? Less running around pre race?

I had trained the bike HARD and knew 40 minutes should have been a really easy goal to hit based on all my training but no luck...
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

NB: Transition times are included in the bike

One of the girls came into transition as I was changing shoes and i started chatting to her...as she left I realised I was supposed to be running too... ooops...

Couldnt get socks on easily so I just left them... then stumbled out of transition

Find a way to get socks on sweaty feet... not get distracted by others in transition. But honestly this was pretty efficient.
Run
  • 46h 37m
  • 5 kms
  • 9h 19m 24s  min/km
Comments:

Well as I stumbled out of transition the nausea I had been fighting on the run hit me... mmm this is gonna be fun... went past the aid station and drak some water while someone else poured it on me... nice...and off I headed...

Jogged stumbled for the first little bit then started alternating my slow stumble jog style with walking... wasnt happy and my tummy wasnt either. Made the first turn around and managed to jog almost all the way back to the aid station with onlyone walk break... hmmm...

But I was miserable and wanted to stop... oh well... hit the little grassy hill up to the aid station and my legs YELLED at me... LOUDLY... forced my way up realising at this point I was starting to drop back towards the back of the field... made the aid station where I paused and let them drench me in water... didnt think of the fact that my shoes were getting SOAKED until I started moving again and I was squelching... hmmm.this isnt good...

My feet started to blister and rip in the moisture with no socks... oops! And I passed the second girl in our group who was out racing coming the other direction heading for the aid station... making an executive decision I said to her something along the lines of 'Im walking mostly.. catch me up and we will finish together'...

She is a better runner than me and lookeda bit fresher (and a lot less nauseous) so I continued my stumble walk and spent my time telling the others on their way back from the turnaround to the finish line to smile, and keep going and how great they were doing!

I got a lot out of encouraging the others and engaging in the banter that I stopped caring I was near he back of the field... and it took my mind off the tummy...

My friend caught me just before the turnaround for home together we jogged a few cones, walked a few, chatted and encouraged each other! I wouldnt trade that last quarter of the run for anything... it was just great to be out there sharing the experience with her... as we came towards the finish they were playing 'Let Me Entertain You' which I sung aong to for a bit before we grabbed each others hand and raised them above our heads to finish!

Ive been relearning how to run... because of all my injuries and I finished the race with my knees happy and no shin splints so mission accomplished as far as Im concerned.

Yes I lost MANY positions on the run BUT... I didnt get heat stroke, I didnt get hurt, I didnt break down and although I was having negative thoughts about pulling out at times it was no way as bad as I have been in the past.

It wasnt my heart rate or my lungs forcing me to walk but my legs which just arent used to this kind of thing yet... and I can take that as a good thing.

But being able to finish with a good friend of mine and share the experience of finishing her first race with her is something I wouldnt change for all the world! I feel so lucky to share that with her and am SO lucky to have someone like that to keep my own spirits up while I was out there :)

So while I could do a lot of things to loose less time... I wouldnt change that finish for anything in the world!
Post race
Warm down:

Drunk lots of water, the three of us took photos together for having finished the 'big race' of the day. Said good bye to the last of the people who has stayed to offer suport and sat through the presentations.

My friend I finished with won a spot prize too!!!

We then cleared our stuff out of transition and walked back around the lake to the cars... packed up the car, sat in the drivers seat and my car wouldnt start.... and it wouldnt start... we both tried it.

Hopped in her car and went back to transition where one of the guys offered to come around and have a look at it for me so we both headed back to my car, put down my blanket and ate party mix under a tree until he came...

It took the three of us and some brute strength to get the car going!!!

Said good bye to my friend an hour after we had packed up the cars and drove home. My phone rang a few times and beeped as girls rang to find out how I had finishes up and to say thanks for a great day...

I got home and contacted everyone single one to congratulate them...as well as our support crew to say thank you. Was asleep a few hours later...sunburnt, tired and very very happy!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The heat, my tummy, the conservative run training I have been doing to accomodate the learning to run process. My mental state in psyching myself out and my 4 hours in the heat pre-race.

But right now Im so happy I wouldnt change a thing! This race wasnt about me... it wasabout introducing all of my friends to a fantastic sport and the sense of achievement that comes with it! They were all AWESOME :)

Last updated: 2009-01-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
11:24:00 | 500 meters | 2h 16m 48s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 31/
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Man made lake swim at the regatta centre. The water is warm - no wetsuits allowed and there is lots of weed etc in the lake. Straight course with a right hand turn round a buoy to the exit.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
53:29:00 | 20 kms | 0.37 km/hr
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some
Course: Reasonably flat looped course with just a couple of small bridges to climb. 5k loops to ride
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
46:37:00 | 05 kms | 9h 19m 24s  min/km
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Course: Up and back all in direct heat... grassy hill to go up at the turnaround for the second lap
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-02-02 3:13 AM

User image

Champion
Sydney
Subject: Trishave Women's Enticer

2009-02-02 3:21 AM
in reply to: #1940624

User image

Champion
Sydney
Subject: RE: Trishave Women's Enticer
2009-02-02 4:24 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brisbane QLD

What a phenomenal run effort.  Well done Cat!

by the way you swim was brilliant too but I know how much effort you put into this run.  You made it to the finish line, you overcome so much crap to be there and you did it! 

PROUD of you.

MadS

2009-02-02 5:29 AM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Your work organzing the ladies and cheering them on was awesome. 
Hanging in there to finish strong was priceless.

Congratulations on introducing the ladies to a great sport and a strong finish!  Geat job hanging in there with the difficulties on the bike and run!

2009-02-02 8:02 AM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
Congrats Cat! Great race and great story... It's all about commitment! Proud of you!
2009-02-02 8:37 AM

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York

What a wonderful and inspiring report Cat!  You have put so much effort and caring into building the group of gals that did the tri and it is awesome to see it come to fruition!

You showed true determination and commitment by gutting out the race even though you weren't 'feeling' it!

2009-02-02 8:58 AM

User image

Champion
MA

Congratulations on so much finishing your first tri in a few year and introducing your friends to this sport, and having the right attitude about racing and accepting your body's limitations.

Super job...I'm so happy that you were able to finish with a friend.

You gave a precious gift to 13 women!

2009-02-02 9:26 AM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA
So awesome that you raced with a huge group of women. Sounds like a fun race. I agree with Kathy, you gave a bunch of women a gift they will always remember.
2009-02-02 9:53 AM

User image

Champion
Calgary
Sounds like a really fun day. Great job on the swim.
2009-02-02 10:52 AM

User image

Master
Portland, Oregon

Cat, that's SO AWESOME!!! It's all about being out there and the joy of helping others do their best and doing your best. You totally did that. GREAT JOB!!! Your pic of (nearly) everyone makes me smile. I'm really proud of you.

2009-02-02 1:23 PM

User image

Master
ALSAGER, CHESHIRE. UK

Tom's proud of you girl. Well done. Now get some rest.

2009-02-02 6:10 PM

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
Yay for Cat! Way to lead and finish positive. You handled what race day brought you with class and style

2009-02-02 6:13 PM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids
sounds like you were OUT STANDING! If only I could recruit 13 people to do there first tri. Heck, I would take recruiting just one right now
2009-02-02 6:13 PM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids
sounds like you were OUT STANDING! If only I could recruit 13 people to do there first tri. Heck, I would take recruiting just one right now
2009-02-02 7:28 PM

User image

Expert
Eltham North, Victoria
Way cool, Cat. What an inspiring race. Keep the ball rolling.
2009-02-02 8:06 PM

User image

MotoQueen
Super Cat once again has a great race! You are an inspiration to getting to the finish line no matter what the obstacles are. Great job on inspiring the other "gals" to race their first TRI. Way to Go CAT!

2009-02-02 10:06 PM

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
Great job, Cat!  Sounds like a bit of a suffer-fest with the heat and the tummy but you stuck it out and finished strong.  And it looks like all the gals had a great time - maybe you created a few new tri addicts!
2009-02-02 10:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
Great report Cat and an awesome effort, not only inspiring and encouraging so many others, but getting through a tough race and finishing with a smile. Proud of you, indeed!
2009-02-02 10:39 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-02-03 11:41 AM

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
Gosh - do I really have to follow Spokes? I can't say it any better than him. CONGRATS, Cat! You rock!
2009-02-03 11:45 AM

Elite
Renton, Washington
Way to go Cat!!!!! 

2009-02-03 7:12 PM

Champion
Sydney

Thanks everyone! This was one of those once in a lifetime experiences.... and now a couple of the guys at work are looking at attempting the upcoming enticer.. Im going to race too I think...

Im really hopeful this is the start of something excellent!!!

But I dont think I will EVER beat the experience of finishing with one of my favourite people in the world:

(2 Race_finish.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
2 Race_finish.JPG (24KB - 50 downloads)
2009-02-04 4:13 PM

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut

You and this race report reek of AWESOMENESS!!!!!!  I love reading reports like this, i felt like i was there!!!  Way to go SUPER CAT!!!!!!!

Edited by Rudedog55 2009-02-04 4:14 PM
2009-02-05 6:17 AM

Expert
London, UK

Great stuff Cat!

To do all that cheerleading and organizing and still pulling a good race out of the hat took some doing. Well done you!!!!!!

2009-02-05 1:05 PM

Master
Kauai, Hawaii

I have chicken skin...

smiling ear to ear for you! Thanks for sharing that is a great story of motivation and accomplishment!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Trishave Women's Enticer Rss Feed  

of 2