General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Starting training program next week...question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-03-17 4:46 AM

Veteran
Littleton, NH
Subject: Starting training program next week...question
I have another newbie question. I currently workout at the gym for about 1 1/2 hours M-F. Monday I'm starting the 16 week 3X program. In the first week, is it ok for me to do additional excersizes like my weight training, additional swimming or additional cardio (I could keep it low impact) or should I wait until I'm a few weeks into the program? I don't want my cardio endurance to slip on some of these early days where I'm only running 12 minutes in a day's workout, plus I still need to lose some pounds and need my cardio for that.

2005-03-17 9:27 AM
in reply to: #130899

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CO
Subject: RE: Starting training program next week...question

By all means, keep your weight training.  That will help you lose fat (by keeping your metabolism higher), which will help the endurance and speed.  The programs posted here are not etched in stone; they are guidelines to get you across the finish line.  If you want to do more, I say go for it.  Ron's happy that we finish a race, it's up to us to determine how FAST we want to finish! 

One thing to remember, if you add extra cardio work: ACCEPT THE TAPER WEEKS!  Allow your body to acclimate to the additional stresses you've put on it, give it the rest it will need, and you'll be able to hit it harder after the rest.

2005-03-18 8:39 PM
in reply to: #130899

User image

Champion
Gold member
Subject: RE: Starting training program next week...question

sounds like you have an excellant base mon-fri for 1.5 hours...not sure how much cardio your actually doing now...if your running or biking or swimming more than the tri program, why dont you just hold whatever duration your currently used to until you 'catch up' to that sport in the program.

so if your running 25minutes now...keep doing that until you catch your swim and bike up accourding to the plan...then proceed ahead with all 3.

hope that wasnt too confusing.

good luck!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Starting training program next week...question Rss Feed