HUNTINGTON BEACH, California
United States
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 47m 26s
Overall Rank = 1187/1953
Age Group = M 40-44
Age Group Rank = 129/178
Pre-race routine:

As usual, not a great nights sleep before the race but was ready when the alarm went off. Everything was pretty much setup from the night before so just got dressed and made a PBJ sandwich. Drove to Mike's and then off to the race. I figured with the 1/2 marathon having most of the participants and that race going off an hour after the full, getting there 30 minutes before the race would be sufficient... Wrong!
Event warmup:

I believe we came down Beach and traffic was not good, it was drastically different from last year when we got there and parked in the lots right on the beach with no problem. When we hit PCH, I jumped out, grabbed my stuff and with a quick bathroom stop on the way, headed to the starting line. I’ve been listening to Tears for Fears on the iPod for some runs lately but I had gone into iTunes and made up a playlist for the race. Unfortunately right when I turned it on, I realized I have not synched the playlist so it was going to be a lot of TTF today. Another thing I noticed was it was taking the Garmin a long time to do its thing with locating the satellites so now I am starting to think this might not be my day however by the time I hit the starting line, it was up and ready.
Run
  • 4h 47m 26s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 10m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

Oct-Nov- Dec were pretty good in terms of total miles and I was feeling pretty good due to the Sunday morning long runs with Mike. However the motivation was low and Jan was a different story. There were a few weeks the long run was the only run for the week and about ½ of the long runs I seemed to really struggle with. My goal going in was 4:30 but confidence wasn’t high so I figured I’d try something new. I’d picked up one of Galloway’s books on marathons a while back and figured I’d try and stick to a plan of run eight minutes and walk 1. I figured if I’d run the 8 minutes at a 10 min mile pace, I’d still be able to hit my goal.

The race started up PCH and I felt really good. I have to admit I felt odd walking after 8 minutes as people were running by me and I am thinking these people must think I am nuts if I can’t make it a mile on a 26+ mile race but then it hit me these people are dealing with their own demons today. Around 2 miles, the course turned off of PCH and headed inland and at this point I was fighting my pace. I really knew I needed to stay around 10 min pace and kept looking and seeing me around 9 min pace and having to ease back. About mile 4 I noticed I was running with a rather large fellow. I’d just catch-up to him on the run and then he’d pass me on the run. While I am not small, I just couldn’t believe he’d finish ahead of me. I just kept thinking I just needed to stick to the plan and hopefully I’ll still be going steady when other people are starting to fade. For the next 2 miles this leap frog thing was going on and finally around mile 6 or 7 I passed him and never saw him again. Around mile 9 the course turned back onto PCH and I was really feeling good. I decided not to fight my pace and just tried to run easy and relaxed. The next 7 miles was pretty uneventful, just tried to take in as much fluid as I could and maintain a comfortable pace. I started to really feel fatigued around mile 17-18 and I have to admit, taking things in 8 minute segments made the race more manageable, especially from a mental standpoint. Instead of thinking I have 10 or 15 miles to go, I really just focused on the next 8 minutes. At the mile 20 turnaround, there was a tent with food probably some running group and the thing that caught my eye was a tub of red vines. I really wanted to go beg for one but turned and start back towards the finish line. Just after mile 22, I was done. From there it was a struggle to finish. I was able to run but the running segments were less frequent and shorter in duration. The end actually has an up and back stretch before returning on to PCH and then into the finish and I was able to manage running the final ½ mile into the finish.
What would you do differently?:

Not sure there is much I would have done different in the race. I probably could have run more and walked less after the 22 mile mark but I was pretty beat up both mentally and physically. While my goal was 4:30, my previous marathon PR was 4:58 so the 4:47 probably represents a more realistic finish that overall, I am very happy with.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked down the line and out the chute. Met up with Mike and went through the food tent so he could grab something then to the shuttle line. While I didn't appreciate the walk, it was probably good to keep moving because I really just wanted to sit but knew I wouldn't want to get back up.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

3 Things: 1) Lose weight which is probably the single biggest factor in not finishing faster. 2) Building into longer runs leading up to the race. Most of the long runs were between 10-12 miles with 2 16 mile runs. Need to build into a few 20+ miles runs. 3) Better discipline in January. I put too much work and effort into the 3 months leading up to lose focus and start slipping back.

Event comments:

I really have nothing negative to say about this race. Well organized, good course, well staffed aid stations. The traffic was rough but this was my fault. Based on last year, I thought I'd have plenty of time. Ended up working out but will plan better next year as I will be back.

Last updated: 2008-10-17 12:00 AM
Running
04:47:26 | 26.2 miles | 10m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 129/178
Overall: 1187/1953
Performance: Good
3 mile 30:39 - 10:13 6 mile 1:00:01 - 10:02 12.2 mile 2:01:54 - 10:00 20 mile 3:24:52 - 10:15
Course:
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-02-02 2:01 PM

User image

Regular
So. Cal.
Subject: Surf City USA Marathon

2009-02-02 6:05 PM
in reply to: #1941646

User image

New user

Holland
Subject: RE: Surf City USA Marathon

Good job on the PR.

Like you, my goal was 4:30, but fell apart at about the 21 mile mark.  I missed my PR by 53 seconds. I should have hit it but lost my mind on the course.

Good Job!

2009-02-02 7:57 PM

User image

Master
Santa Clarita

Nice RR and Well done  with the PR .

I tried the run walk too and  used  the aid stations as guides.    

2009-02-06 3:12 PM

User image

Expert
NW Suburbs, Illinois
Great job on the PR! 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Surf City USA Marathon Rss Feed