General Discussion Triathlon Talk » yes......another IT band question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2009-03-28 12:33 AM
in reply to: #1943237

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2009-03-31 7:32 PM

Extreme Veteran
Webster, Ma
Subject: RE: yes......another IT band question

Patrick, I went through the majority of the routine in that article you wrote, it felt great (in a good, painful way) lol. I didnt do a couple of the exercises that needed the bands but substituted some air squats, and used a long sock for the stretches lol.

Should I do the routine on both legs, or just the injured leg? I have been doing the same for both legs as kind of a preventative maintenance on the un-injured one, does that make any sense?

2009-03-31 7:46 PM
in reply to: #2052521

Regular
staylor36 - 2009-03-31 6:32 PM

Patrick, I went through the majority of the routine in that article you wrote, it felt great (in a good, painful way) lol. I didnt do a couple of the exercises that needed the bands but substituted some air squats, and used a long sock for the stretches lol.

Should I do the routine on both legs, or just the injured leg? I have been doing the same for both legs as kind of a preventative maintenance on the un-injured one, does that make any sense?

Glad to hear you enjoyed the routine.

I would do it on both legs as a preventative method for the asymptomatic knee (like you suggested).

The only time I do anything asymmetrical in someones training program is if following my movement assessment, I find that they have an asymmetry that needs to be addressed with specific program design.

Patrick

2009-03-31 7:52 PM
in reply to: #2045311

Regular

Paulettejo - 2009-03-27 11:33 PM Wow Patrick, your article is about the most in-depth thing I've ever seen.  I'm beginning to think I am biomechanically F*cked.  I've literally been in every shoe type known to man.  My left foot slightly pronates, while I run slightly on the outside of my right foot.  I'm obsessed with paying attention to my running stride now, and it seems as though my right foot - when tired or not paying attention - lands a little left of center, there's actually times when I kick myself in the shin...I've also been known to trip myself doing this.  I'd also preface this by saying I'm an ulta runner, so I run anywhere between 100 and 200 miles a month, and no this isn't an all of a sudden build.  I'm also developing a mild pain on the inside of my left shin.  At this point I really don't have the money to go back to the PT or Chiro.  They've helped in the past, but only really masked the pain slightly.  Usually give it a good 2-3 months and I'm back in pain.  I'm going to seriously begin you regiment, and hopefully see some improvement!!

Have you been checked for a leg length discrepancy?  A lot of time people will have one foot that pronates more while the other foot is either neutral or supinated greater.  Sometimes this can be a structural leg length problem and other times it can be a functional leg length problem (created by pelvic alignment).

We aware of which side of the street you run on and make sure you switch.  Streets are typically slanted slightly to allow for run-off when it rains (slanted towards the curb/gutter).  So, the leg which is closest the the curb will end up supinating more and the leg on the outside will end up pronating more as a way for the body to maintain balance between both limbs when faced with an uneven surface.

Shin splints, or medial shin pain, can develop on the side with greater pronation, so you want to start working on that hip strength and stability now to enhance alignment before it becomes a problem.

Patrick

2009-03-31 8:11 PM
in reply to: #2052571

Extreme Veteran
Webster, Ma

Good, thats what I figured. I need to get myself some resistance bands, and maybe some of those elsta-loops or whatever theyre called. I am going to check ebay and just google it but any sites you prefer?

I did a very easy 1 mile run Sunday after about a month off, I had some soreness Monday and went to my 8th PT visit after work. We did the normal routine, with some soft tissue work(forearm/elbow to IT Band) and I did 20 mins on the Arc Trainer after. I had some  pain in the lower IT/Knee area where I experienced it originally which was new, that machine had never bothered me.

I have gone to 8 PT visits and dont really feel like I have made much progress. I have used my alloted 8 visits and now I have to wait until the Ins. co. reviews my file to see if they will pay for more visits. If they do I was thinking of going to either a PT who does Graston, or an ART/Chiro person, not really sure which one to go for? I am REALLY hoping that they approve more visits as I do NOT want to have to pay out of pocket for the treatment!

Do you think cycling all along has hindered my rehab? I didnt take a break from that at all. I did 300 miles this month.

Edited by staylor36 2009-03-31 8:14 PM
2009-03-31 8:22 PM
in reply to: #2052692

Regular
staylor36 - 2009-03-31 7:11 PM

Good, thats what I figured. I need to get myself some resistance bands, and maybe some of those elsta-loops or whatever theyre called. I am going to check ebay and just google it but any sites you prefer?

I did a very easy 1 mile run Sunday after about a month off, I had some soreness Monday and went to my 8th PT visit after work. We did the normal routine, with some soft tissue work(forearm/elbow to IT Band) and I did 20 mins on the Arc Trainer after. I had some  pain in the lower IT/Knee area where I experienced it originally which was new, that machine had never bothered me.

I have gone to 8 PT visits and dont really feel like I have made much progress. I have used my alloted 8 visits and now I have to wait until the Ins. co. reviews my file to see if they will pay for more visits. If they do I was thinking of going to either a PT who does Graston, or an ART/Chiro person, not really sure which one to go for? I am REALLY hoping that they approve more visits as I do NOT want to have to pay out of pocket for the treatment!

Do you think cycling all along has hindered my rehab? I didnt take a break from that at all. I did 300 miles this month.

Cycling may have hindered your rehab.  Hard to tell without knowing much about you.  I have had some people come in with IT-Band problems and cycling doesn't bother them and I can still get them well.  Cycling can put some extra strain on that structure though as the knee flexes and extends.

What other soft tissue work is the PT doing besides the elbow to the IT-band?  The IT-band is an extremely dense piece of tissue that doesn't really change.  You need to address the muscles which affect that tissue - Glute max, glute med. TFL - as that is where the real therapeutic gain is made.  The PT should be concentrating their efforts up there and then teaching you appropriate hip strengthening exercises.  The right soft tissue work is the key element though!

As for the bands, I buy my stuff from perform better.

Patrick

2009-03-31 8:58 PM

Extreme Veteran
Webster, Ma

That is really all he does for soft tissue work. He did pay some attention to the glute/tfl area on my 7th visit but that was it. I will give you a rundown of what I do.

-Warmup on Arc Trainer 15mins on resistance 50.

-Bridging and Marching on the ball, Bosu squats, air squats, jumping around in the "plyo box", balance on 1 leg on this disc, step ups. 

-Then we hit the weight room for some leg presses, and single leg presses, hip abductor, and hip adductor, donkey kick machine for glutes, seated leg curl.

-Then one of his slacker assistance half heartedly stretch my quads and hams, sometimes we uses the ultrasound on the lower 2-3 inches of the it band, electric stimulation, and the occasional forearm to the it band.

2009-03-31 9:15 PM
in reply to: #2052915

Regular
staylor36 - 2009-03-31 7:58 PM

That is really all he does for soft tissue work. He did pay some attention to the glute/tfl area on my 7th visit but that was it. I will give you a rundown of what I do.

-Warmup on Arc Trainer 15mins on resistance 50.

-Bridging and Marching on the ball, Bosu squats, air squats, jumping around in the "plyo box", balance on 1 leg on this disc, step ups. 

-Then we hit the weight room for some leg presses, and single leg presses, hip abductor, and hip adductor, donkey kick machine for glutes, seated leg curl.

-Then one of his slacker assistance half heartedly stretch my quads and hams, sometimes we uses the ultrasound on the lower 2-3 inches of the it band, electric stimulation, and the occasional forearm to the it band.

At the risk of sounding rude, I am really sorry you are paying for that.  That sucks!

Why bosu squats?  The actually place the hip into a more bow-legged position which shortens the attachments of the IT-band.

Why not re-groove basic movement patterns?  And I can't believe they use the leg press and all that machine work.  That is horrible.

Also, why is he not addressing the soft tissue quality first, before performing exercise?  You want to improve the tissue quality to help enhance the movement.  I would actually do my soft tissue work first, then some dynamic warm up (the arc trainer...come on!), then re-groove movement patterns.

Ugh, so much about the way PT's treat needs to be changed!

Patrick

2009-03-31 10:21 PM

Expert
Morgantown, WV

I'm really finding that  my issue seems to be the TFL, more so even perhaps than the IT band, becuase when I push there, the pain refers to the knee- and the hip is very sensitive and sore.

I'm also finding that I have to massage/roll/tennis ball myself 5-6x a day.  2 or 3 isn't enough.  I'm also finding that while 2x icing was helping, but 4x is WAY better.  Biofreeze seems to be a help too, if for nothing else than for masking the dull, chronic pain- which allows me to sit normally, which protects other portions of my body that were getting injured from me trying to protect the knee.

PLUS, I'm having my finance' massage me every day for 15min.

So, I literally am doing something every hour for my injury, but I really think I've made more progress in the last 4 days than I have in the last 2 weeks.

Hopefully I'll be getting off the ib profen soon.

Point of this post: be aggressive, and work on other parts of the body that are probably as much, or more, to blame for the injury than the actual IT band.

2009-04-01 11:34 AM

Extreme Veteran
Webster, Ma

I am getting more good info here than at the PT! I just scheduled my follow up visit with the Sports Med Dr. for Tues so hopefully I can get a referral for more PT(so I can go to one that does Graston) or the Chiro(for some ART)

I have been going at it hard with the steps outlined in Patrick's article, with some ice and IB Profen afterwards. I ran another mile today and didn't have any pain, then rolled, stretched, and iced after.

I think I have isolated the cause to be the F.T.L and Psoas Major. I noticed that both of them are considerably tighter when stretching and rolling on the left side(which is the injured side) I also have some tightness in the left glute as well. I guess I will start paying extra attention to those areas.

Thanks for the help guys! I should have just skipped PT and sent Patrick my $200 in co-pays lol.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » yes......another IT band question Rss Feed  

of 2