General Discussion Triathlon Talk » losing fitness after surgery... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-02-04 7:50 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: losing fitness after surgery...

Hi fellow tri-ers. I've been doing sprint tri and road races for years now, and train year-round without a real break (except a few months off from cycling due to NY weather conditions).If you check out my training log you'll find i have decreased my training volumes rapidly due to:

1. Loss of our YMCA pool, as it closed down Cry and

2. The snow and

3. I need gall bladder removal surgery and have had to deal with pain lately, causing me to wimp out on everything!

My concern is that I have 2 to 3 triathlons this upcoming season, plus several 5k's and a half Mary. I am petrified about losing muscle and fitness in general here.

My question for you all: If you ever had to totally stop training (injury, surgery etchow long did it take for you to regain fitness and speed? (I'm not fast to begin with, lol). If I take a few weeks off, will that totally blow things for me? My first Tri this season is June 6th. I am so worried.

Thank you for letting me rant~ I could use any advice and would love to hear your comeback storiesCool

2009-02-04 9:00 AM
in reply to: #1944758

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
Subject: RE: losing fitness after surgery...
dawnieruns - 2009-02-04 6:50 AM

Hi fellow tri-ers. I've been doing sprint tri and road races for years now, and train year-round without a real break (except a few months off from cycling due to NY weather conditions).If you check out my training log you'll find i have decreased my training volumes rapidly due to:

1. Loss of our YMCA pool, as it closed down Cry and

2. The snow and

3. I need gall bladder removal surgery and have had to deal with pain lately, causing me to wimp out on everything!

My concern is that I have 2 to 3 triathlons this upcoming season, plus several 5k's and a half Mary. I am petrified about losing muscle and fitness in general here.

My question for you all: If you ever had to totally stop training (injury, surgery etc) how long did it take for you to regain fitness and speed? (I'm not fast to begin with, lol). If I take a few weeks off, will that totally blow things for me? My first Tri this season is June 6th. I am so worried.

Thank you for letting me rant~ I could use any advice and would love to hear your comeback storiesCool

Hi, sorry to hear about your troubles! You're going to get a wide variety of answers, as this is one of those questions where the answer is "it depends". Most people get about 3-7 days kind of "free", where fitness loss is minimal. After that, you generally lose about 2 days of fitness for every day of inactivity. So, if you are out for 3 weeks, it will take ~ 4 weeks to recover, out for 4 weeks, 6 weeks to recover to your current fitness level, etc.

You can slow the losses down by finding alternative activities, water running, walking, etc. Just depends on your own pain tolerance, etc.

Good luck, keep us informed!

John 

2009-02-04 9:14 AM

User image

Champion
MA

The longer you have been an endurance athlete the less fitness you will lose or stated the other way the shorter you have been an endurance the quicker you will lose fitness.

I had surgery Oct 2007 after 4th year of tris and had to take 6 weeks off running and swimming. I had surgery 4 days after my final tri a HIM of the year. I was able to ride the trainer easy after 2 or 3 weeks.

It took me 3 months to get back to my running pace when I started and probably 6-8 weeks swimming. Within 4-5 months of surgery I PBed my 5K and 1/2 Mary times and 8 months after surgery I did my first IM.

If you are going to have surgery get it done asap so you have more time to recover and back to training would be my suggestion if that is supported by your doc.

Also ask your surgeon how long you will be unable to s/b/r. If they do it laproscopically recovery time might be much faster. The less time you are off the less you will lose obviously.

2009-02-04 9:43 AM

User image

Folsom, CA (Sacramento Area)
like somebody already mentioned, it depends on a lot of factors, age, conditioning, lenght of training, etc. I had 3 1/2 months of complete inactivity (and lots of food) due to torn calf muscle, blood clots and collapsed lung back to back in that order (I know, call me lucky) and just got back to training on the first of the year.

I lost a lot of my strenght in my legs and lost all of my cardio in all three disciplines. The Swimming is coming back very fast. I am already averaging better times than last years but my cardio is only about 80% of what it was. This is my strenght so after 4 weeks feels pretty good, your strenght discipline will come back quicker.
The bike and run is a different story. I am thinking it is going to take me about 2 more months to get back to where I was on the bike and maybe one more month for my running to come back (guess which one is my weakness)

Get it done ASAP and talk to your doctor about recovery and what you can do and can't do

good luck
2009-02-04 9:52 AM

User image

Master
Breckenridge, CO
Once you've attained a certain level of fitness, getting back there will come much, much faster as compared to the difficulty of first getting there.
2009-02-04 9:59 AM

User image

I agree, it depends. 

For me, I was totally out for 7 weeks, it has taken about 2 months.  I am almost to where I was when I got hurt.  I will add that the depression that went along with not being able to do anything (and the fear that it couldn't be fixed) hurt me the most.  Add that I am an emotional eater and you have a big problem.  Not only have I had to deal with the lack of exercise/training, I also have had to deal with the weight gain from the emotional eating.  

edit - sorry, typos  

Edited by Havin'Fun 2009-02-04 10:00 AM

2009-02-04 10:18 AM

User image

Champion
Urbandale, IA

I had surgery on 12/3 and was not allowed to r/s/b for a month.  Starting on 1/3, I was allowed to start running.  On 1/17 I was allowed to start biking.  Today will be my first day back in the water.

My surgeries was a large incision in the lower abdomen.  I spent the month that I was not allowed to excersize keeping my leg strength up by using ankle weights while I was at home.  I wore them from the time I got hom in the evening until the time I went to bed (as long as I was at home).  This helped a great deal.  Aerobically speaking, I did lose a little bit of fitness, in that it took a higher heart rate to run a certain pace for about the first two weeks.  That has settled down now.  Since I started biking while that was starting to settle down, I did not feel a huge aerobic issue with biking,  but I stressed the muscles used for biking as much as I could target them while not using my core muscles (huge chore) and I still felt some downfall there.  Swimming - talk to me around 6PM.

2009-02-04 5:56 PM

User image

Nampa, Idaho
I had my gallbladder out in October and ran a half marathon 9 days post surgery. My time was slower than initially planned (I ran an 11 minute mile for the race) but all things considering not too bad.

The doc said to wait a couple of weeks to go swimming but other than that I really had no restrictions. You should do fine. You can look through my logs if you'd like to see how I trained...
2009-02-04 6:05 PM
in reply to: #1945993

User image

Master
Muskego, WI
chosenprovidence - 2009-02-04 5:56 PM

I had my gallbladder out in October and ran a half marathon 9 days post surgery. My time was slower than initially planned (I ran an 11 minute mile for the race) but all things considering not too bad.

The doc said to wait a couple of weeks to go swimming but other than that I really had no restrictions. You should do fine. You can look through my logs if you'd like to see how I trained...

Being a nurse, and wife of a gallbladder removal pt...if the surgery is a planned surgery ie NOT emergent due to infection...and you were in a good state of fitness prior, I agree with her! The surgery is so much more non invasive than it was years ago. Recovery seems pretty easy. That said, I had hip surgery from a running injury, also recovered great, was running a month later, and competed (just a little 5k) 3 months out. My time was a bit slower, but heck, it was 28 out, and winter in Wisconsin!

GREAT luck to you! Get it done NOW and you will be tri season ready!

Edited by pjgrande 2009-02-04 6:06 PM
2009-02-04 6:17 PM

User image

Nampa, Idaho
And I want to add that I feel 100% better since having the surgery and it was such a relief to not have to worry about a flare up preventing me from training.
2009-02-04 6:41 PM

I had two open (not laporoscopic) hernia repairs on January 12.  You can take a look at my log to see how it has gone for me.  I walked a LOT right after the surgery.  I'm back to biking and running now and feel pretty good!

Full disclosure - I relished the opportunity to NOT run for a few weeks due to some knee pain I had been having.

2009-02-04 7:25 PM

User image

Expert
Two back surgeries last year and no training for 5 months, the bike and the swim came back pretty quick but the run suffered lots.
good luck and get better!!
2009-02-04 8:15 PM

User image

Regular

Thank you all so much for your quick and thorough responses ~ You guys are the bestCool and i can always count on this forum to answer my questions. Thankfully I also have a great MD and he wants this thing out pretty soon, so i'm hoping that I will be up and at 'em in March, and have three months to at least become Sprint-ready. Because it is not an emergent surgery I might have to deal with the discomfort but I'll get this done as soon as there is an opening for it! I'm not as worried about the run as I am regaining the swim (My weakest area by far). I'm assuming the bike leg will be the easiest to recooperate. I can't wait until I can hop on that road bike again. I've really missed it this winter. I'll check out the 2 training logs to, to see how you guys conquered the beast of recovering fitness 

Thanks again so much <3

2009-02-04 8:19 PM
in reply to: #1945993

User image

Regular

re::chosenprovidence - 2009-02-04  5:56 PM
I had my gallbladder out in October and ran a half marathon 9 days post surgery. My time was slower than initially planned (I ran an 11 minute mile for the race) but all things considering not too bad

Awesome- a half Mary 9 days post-op!!! I am feeling a lot better already I will have at least three months to get seriously back in gear and at least make sure I am Sprint ready. Thanks again

Edited by dawnieruns 2009-02-04 8:24 PM
2009-02-04 9:42 PM

User image

Nampa, Idaho
Gallbladder surgery is a breeze! You'll have no problem!

And compared to the pain of gallbladder attacks surgery was nothing. Get them to take that sucker out!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » losing fitness after surgery... Rss Feed