General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Don Fink's Be Iron Fit Plan Question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-02-06 8:42 AM

User image

Master
Chicago
Subject: Don Fink's Be Iron Fit Plan Question

I'm using Don Fink's Competitive 30 week Ironman Training plan for CDA.  I'm in week 11 now and my Sunday workout calls for a long run with a short (30 minute) high cadence easy ride. 

For those of you that have followed this plan or something similar to it, how soon after the run do you do the ride.  I've heard of people who do it immediately after the run to "flush out the legs", and I've heard others that run in the morning and ride in the late afternoon.  Any benefits or negatives to either method.  Thoughts????

Matt

2009-02-06 10:04 AM
in reply to: #1948660

Regular
TwinCities, MN
Subject: RE: Don Fink's Be Iron Fit Plan Question

I used the competitive plan for IMLOU last year and I did the rides before my long run. The rides range from 30min in week 11 to 90min near the end.  I took about 5 to 10min break between workouts enough time to get a drink and use the restroom before my run.

This season I am using the same plan for Vineman full and IMMOO I will maybe seperate the two. Run in the morning and ride in the afternoon. It just depends on how much free time i have in the morning. I myself think there is a benefit from doing them back to back as long as your body can handle it. You get some time in the saddle and a long run after that. So you would be pulling a long 4 to 7 hour day on saturday with long ride and run. A 2 to 4 hour day on sunday with the bike and run.

Finks plan is good it has a good run and bike volume in it at least for me. I looked at the BT plans and I felt the run volume was not enough. I like to run at least 35-40 mpw. Good luck.

2009-02-15 11:07 PM
in reply to: #1948660

User image

Veteran
Huntington Beach
Subject: RE: Don Fink's Be Iron Fit Plan Question
Don Fink is my coach so I know exactly what you are talking about. He has not old me which order I should do it in and I have not asked. I think it is personal preference. However, I know he stresses the importance of high cadence rides to build efficency. For this reason I recommend doing the ride first then run or run, take a break, then ride later in the day (this is what I do). A well executed high cadence ride takes effort and concentration so I would not want to do it after that long run.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Don Fink's Be Iron Fit Plan Question Rss Feed