Midwest Sports Events
40F / 4C
Sunny
Total Time = 33m 50s
Overall Rank = 170/418
Age Group = F 20-24
Age Group Rank = 16/30
Pre-race routine:

Got up around 5:45, got dressed, had some water, and left at 6:20am. Didn't take long to get there and we parked really close which was awesome! Picked up packet and then went back to the car to sit for like 45 minutes. Got out to walk around at 7:45am. The 15k gun went off at 8am and then we lined up for our start.
Event warmup:

Not much of a warm-up except walking around before the start and taking some pics of the people and Sister Madonna Buder.
Run
  • 33m 50s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

Well, as I was waiting for the gun to go off, I was talking to myself telling myself I am not going to go out too hard and that I am going to stick to the 8:2 run/walk plan. Finally we got a 10 second count down and the gun went off. I started off really watching my pace but trying to move with the crowd and watch for ice on the roads. About a quarter of a mile into it, I fell into a comfortable rhythm and just kept moving. There were occasionally people walking in front that I had to pass because they started out too fast, but I just moved carefully around them. I was actually really worried the whole race about ice. The last thing I want is to hurt myself on a little 5K this early in the season. The first 8 minutes went well and took my walking break but found myself counting down the seconds till I could run again. The scenery was beautiful and the weather was just warm enough that about 10 minutes in I was really starting to get warm. Ran for a while and at about 7 minutes hit a water stop, grabbed some water and started a walking break 30 seconds early, but walked till the next set. I was really feeling good and enjoying it, but starting to get really warm. Started the next running set and got to the point where the 15K and 5K broke apart. At this point you could actually hear them announcing at the finish line and it was a teaser. Did the next 8 minutes and then the two of walking. The final road to the finish was a little icy so I was careful and tried to find a spot I was safe. But just short of 4 minutes later I was at the finish and celebrating with my dad who crossed just ahead of me!
What would you do differently?:

Not much... it went really well. I am very happy with the race and I am right on track for where I need to be for Ironman Moo 2009!
Post race
Warm down:

Just walked around a bit and got some water and gatorade with Dad. Then we went to go get some food and some chocolate and get our cheese and chocolate bar. Walked back to the car and headed home! Came home to a wonderful breakfast my mom made :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The wind... but I can't control that. I am doing really well this early in the season with Ironman prep!

Event comments:

This event was okay. Part of the Midwest Sports Events, these races tend to be okay for the beginners but not at the high quality of some other local races. It was amazing to be running in Feb and it was so nice out!!

Last updated: 2009-01-19 12:00 AM
Running
00:33:50 | 03.11 miles | 10m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 16/30
Overall: 170/418
Performance: Good
Course: 5K - Run or walk this great scenic course. Starts off at Seroogy's Chocolates on Broadway and goes north traveling through the beautiful St. Norbert Abbey. This is a gradual uphill reaching Webster Ave and turns right headed south towards Ridgeway Boulevard. Course is then a downhill headed back to Seroogy's Chocolates.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No