Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Favorite Part of Your Wedding? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2009-02-11 2:40 PM
in reply to: #1954730

User image

Champion
Calgary
Subject: RE: Favorite Part of Your Wedding?
I am not detailed orientated.

Our wedding was awesome.

The MOST important thing is to have people you trust to host or hostess the party. You don't want people coming to you with problems. You set it up, you explain to your buddy what you want to happen, but you try to leave most things with other people, on the big day.

One thing. We had TONS of pictures. Most sucked. If photos are important, make sure you devote the time to get them. I mean we have tons of pictures and they are great to look at but NOTHING that can go up on a wall.

One other thing, make sure you have some buddies the next day to help you deal with stuff. Someone you can call to help get you to the airport or clean up stuff or whatever.

We spent some bucks on music for the ceremony, well worth it.

We had an open bar, you know, came to 1200 bucks or so, but whatever, people had a blast.

Have a great wedding.

2009-02-11 3:31 PM

User image

Pro
Helena, MT

Well, you know I think my wedding was the most awesome ever in the history of wedding-kind. For a lot of things, we just plain got lucky (ie, a really good band that would play for a 2 or 3 hundred bucks... Also, I'm from one of the most beautiful places in the country, so we just picked a spot on Forest Service land for the actual ceremony... My cousin is a wedding photographer and did the photos for free). Of course, it was the great people and, secondarily, the beautiful place that made the wedding so awesome. But it was facilitated by a) good beer and wine in plentiful supply, b) good food, and c) good music. Decorations, flowers, etc, are extraneous if you're in a pretty place, but good people with bellies full of good food and some social lubricant (beer and music) makes for a great party.

My big wedding planning mistake? We served dinner at 5 and the party raged on till almost midnight... until everyone got hungry and headed off to the bars to continue partying, but with some food around! We should have put out some snacks at 8 or 9, then the party could have continued on-site rather than splintering off to bars.

So basically, my advice is skimp on what you must to provide plenty of food, beer, and wine and pick a great venue. And ultimately, don't get to stressed about any of it. It's just one day and you'll want it to be nothing but good memories in the years to follow (or at least memories you can laugh about).

2009-02-11 3:31 PM

User image

Master
Reston, VA

i haven't read everyone's posts, so i apologize for any repeat.

We just got married in october, my thoughts.

what to pay for:

photographer

booze & food

music.. we opted for a good dj, but good music makes the party.

what not to pay for:

dumb favors that no one is going to do anything with.  instead, make something.  we got married at the beach and instead of place cards I handpainted clam shells with their names on the front and table names on the back.  i attached a ribbon loop to them so that they could hang.  as we visited our friends and family during the holidays everyone had them either hanging on their trees or elsewhere in their houses.  we got a lot of positive feedback from them

cameras on the tables: they don't turn out, instead hire a good photographer

expensive cake.  ours was very affordable, but a friend had an even better idea.  they had a small tiered cake for show, but what they served was costco sheet cake that was cut up in the back.  it was still very yummy.

expensive dress.  in my opinion, anything over $1,500 (including alterations) for a dress is just silly.  with some research you can fine affordable dresses.  I adored mine, and it was well under $1,500 with alterations.

we handmade our centerpieces and our arbor, saved lots of money.

what made it personal and fun:

we researched laws in the state we got married and find a way to have my husbands best friend marry us

we discovered the vitamin string quartet.  they have done covers of almost any music you can think of.  we played their covers to some of our favorite songs for the ceremony.  we used madonna and the cure for the ceremony and nine inch nails for the reception.  they have a TON of stuff on itunes.

i hand made the programs with notes thanking guests for traveling

we asked guests to come "casual elegant" which is essentially business casual for parties.  actually, we listed hawaiian shirts welcome on the invitation.  a lot of people mentioned how happy they were that they didn't feel stuffy and uncomfortable.

we had a theme (the beach) and carried it through everything.

what i regret:

not hiring a videographer.  i priced it and got shell shocked, but I would have loved to have it now. 

pics if you want them: http://www.samellis.com/2008%20Weddings/483737

Edited by hooslisa 2009-02-11 3:40 PM
2009-02-11 4:00 PM

User image

Expert
Chicagoland

My wedding was perfect except for my drunk BIL trying to tell me how great my late alcoholic father was , my wife's grandmothers gettting into a fight over who should dance with me and the SWAT team that was accross the street trying to talk a guy with a loaded shotgun off this boat.  True story.  Actually that was pretty cool.  No one got hurt and my wife still to this day says it was a despondent boyfriend.

However, the reception was on the beach.   Beautiful sunset with dolphins jumping in the background.   Everybody dancing to a great band and Greek Music.  A good band is extremely important otherwhise it just becomes a another event like any other!

Oh and congratulations!!!!

Edited by TeddieMao 2009-02-11 4:01 PM
2009-02-11 9:11 PM
in reply to: #1957346

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edgewater, CO
hooslisa - 2009-02-11 2:31 PM

cameras on the tables: they don't turn out, instead hire a good photographer

I actually came back to post to do this. We put them out, and got some great pictures. They don't replace the professional ones, but they are wonderful mementos of the day in a more casual setting. It isn't that expensive to do, and you may get some really fun shots.
2009-02-11 9:14 PM

User image

Pro
Brooklyn, NY
Don't get caught up in the wedding itself. Just remember to slow down and enjoy it, take it all in. It will go fast and in the end, it's not the party that matters.

2009-02-11 9:22 PM

User image

Elite
Cheesehead, WI
Here's a great idea for after the wedding...get thank you notes made up with a pic of you two! My cousin did that with a very relaxed candid pic of the two of them and it was such a nice way to say thanks for my wedding gift. Love that idea!
2009-02-12 9:31 AM

User image

Expert
Chicagoland
One thing we got rid of in our wedding was the receiving line.  300 people one by one takes a longggggggggggggg time.  Plus 90% of those people were friends of my wife's parents and they spoke only Greek.
2009-02-13 11:41 AM
in reply to: #1958580

User image

Champion
Eat Cheese or Die
TeddieMao - 2009-02-12 9:31 AM

One thing we got rid of in our wedding was the receiving line.  300 people one by one takes a longggggggggggggg time.  Plus 90% of those people were friends of my wife's parents and they spoke only Greek.

I hated this part too.

Another good memory was the Pastor coming in and asking if we knew who was tailgating in the parking lot of the church.

It was my wife's Grand Parents, her uncles and 15 year old nephew.
2009-02-13 2:45 PM

User image

Expert
Milwaukee, WI

Our wedding was awesome! It was a party like no other. We were married shortly after graduating from college. Twenty-one years later friends and family STILL bring up stories from that night...unbelievable.

The best part actually happened about one month later. We received a bill from the hotel for $975 for the open bar (1987 prices in a small town). We didn't HAVE an open bar (or so I thought). I pulled my copy of the contract and saw that the "Cash Bar" box was checked on the contract. We met with the banquet manager and she ended up tearing up the bar bill in front of us. EVERYONE AT OUR WEDDING GOT HAMMERED FOR FREE.

2009-02-13 3:00 PM
in reply to: #1957346

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
hooslisa - 2009-02-11 3:31 PM

expensive cake.  ours was very affordable, but a friend had an even better idea.  they had a small tiered cake for show, but what they served was costco sheet cake that was cut up in the back.  it was still very yummy.

OK this is a great idea! Filing this away...

2009-02-13 3:09 PM
in reply to: #1961304

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Congratulations!  So far, getting married has turned out to be a really good decision for me

The best part that first comes to mind is the vows.  I made a point to really really pay attention and it meant a lot to me, even though the vows were just the standard fare.

But looking back and reading the other posts, I will add that have a video and going the cheap cake route turned out great.  We enjoyed eating our little fancy cake at home later too!

My best advice:  Do Not Worry about what's expected.  ESPECIALLY skip the favors.  None of that wedding hoo-ha that you think you must do is remembered or appreciated.  It will all be a distant memory the day after, so save yourself the hassle.

2009-02-13 3:37 PM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
My favourite part of our wedding was when my wife smiled, looked into my eyes and said "I do!"  Well, that ... and the trip to Italy for our honeymoon ...

Edited by Machiavelo 2009-02-13 3:38 PM
2009-02-13 4:21 PM

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY

Congrats Chippy! You kids grow up so fast. It seems like only yesterday you got your first tri bike.

Pretty much everything that could have gone wrong at our wedding did. It's a funny story but it takes a while to tell. We've been invited to dinner parties to tell it.

BTW, my avatar is us crossing the finish line at a half marathon in celebration of our 10th anniversary.

2009-02-13 7:43 PM
in reply to: #1955212

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
Okay, since I couldn't find the webiste, I'll just attach a copy of our vows. Feel free to plagerize all you want (we did). First page is my vow to Donna, second page is her vow to me.

Edited by briderdt 2009-02-13 7:44 PM

Attachments
----------------
Our vows.doc (26KB - 17 downloads)
2009-02-13 7:48 PM

User image

Master
Franklin, TN
16 years ago we got caught up in the magazines, pleasing her family and pleasing mine.  After hour wedding night at a swanky hotel (Gaylord) we flew to Acapulco to stay a week.  Upon arrival, we slept solid 18 hours; exhausted.  Please yourselves, not others.

2009-02-13 8:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Congratulations! I have been married a little over six months now and I can understand what you are saying about everything being frustrating. My wifes Brother in law gave me some really good advice before the wedding and I will share it with you (but take it with a grain of salt...) Focus on each other and the rest doesn't really matter. To that I would add that if you are going the whole nine yards with the food, cake, etc...take time to enjoy that together. Make sure you get to actually eat some of this tasty food you picked out (not to mention it will give you a lot more energy later on for that late night Pizza. Also remember that your groomsmen/bridesmaides are there for two reasons, you want them there as close friends/family AND to help out with anything that needs done before, during, or after the Ceremony. Heck one of my groomsmen even got up and offered to get me and my wife seconds on food. Congrats, good luck, and remember at the end of the day...it will just be you two!
2009-02-15 9:23 PM

User image

Expert
A Husker stuck in VA
A picture the photographer set up.... father in law pulling me in the door to the church, best friend pulling me out!
2009-02-15 10:46 PM

Extreme Veteran
Northbridge, Massachusetts

Things I loved:

The venue:  I paid $300 to rent it and it was so beautiful, having a wedding that I paid for meant I kept it low budget ($8000 total) and about 75 guests kept it intimate.

My dress.  I went a little out of the norm and had red and ivory for my dress.  

Laughing during our vows and having a great pastor who kept the tone light and loving.

The cake.  I wanted fondant, but the gal that was making my cake had me taste it first..yuck...each layer was a different flavor

Most of all was that I shared it with the man I had waited a long time to find.

Things I missed:

Only one...that my dad passed away before I got married or met my husband.  I think he would have really liked my husband.

Relax and enjoy.   Pick what means most to you and let the small things go.

(Shannon.gif)

(alter.gif)

Attachments
----------------
Shannon.gif (71KB - 9 downloads)
alter.gif (82KB - 8 downloads)
2009-02-15 11:06 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
The video of our wedding was kind of a waste. We did it because we weren't sure my grandmother would be able to attend, but she made it and I think we maybe watched the video once. On the other hand, I love to look at our photo albums. We put all of our proofs in little mini-albums and they're still really fun to look at with my son sometimes.

Best part was the involvement of our family. My Dad gave the toast, my sister-in-law sang, and my grandfather gave the blessing. And that my wife and I just had a great time and didn't stress out at all once it started.

The best piece of advice I can give is: no matter how much you plan, it is almost guaranteed that something will go wrong. Something will break or spill or be forgotten or whatever, but chances are, you will be the only one who notices and as long as you remember to have fun, no one will care, not even you.

What went wrong at our wedding? One of the bridesmaids didn't pick up her dress until the night before the wedding and didn't take it out of the bag until the morning of. The store had forgotten to remove the big security tag from the dress. It was the kind that's full of ink, so we couldn't even bust if off with a screwdriver. The wedding was in the morning on a Sunday, so the store wasn't open, so she walked down the aisle with the tag on her dress, looking like she'd shoplifted it. On the plus side, she was able to go in the next day and return her dress, something I'm sure every bridesmaid wishes she could do. It was kind of a panic back then, but 16 years later, it's just a funny story.
2009-02-15 11:10 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Oh, and...

Instead of traditional favors, my wife found these cool little evergreen seedlings that came inside a glass tube with some sorta cheesy thing about asking guests to plant them and the tree growing as our love grows blah blah.

Anyway, who knows what most people did with them, but 5 or 6 people ended up planting them and they send us pictures occasionally of these fairly good-sized 16-year-old evergreen trees that in some cases are taller than their houses. That's pretty cool.

2009-02-16 8:11 AM

User image

Master
Lake Norman, NC

Congrats!

It's been 16 years for me.  My two favorite parts...

Hiring a "club band" and not a "wedding band".  When we were looking, we were getting frustrated with all the tuxedo-wearing, drummers-with-brushes, Jon-Lovitz-singing wedding bands.  So we were out at a club one night and this band, 'Bryce Street', was just ROCKING!  In between sets I went up to them and asked if they've ever done a wedding.  "Years ago when we first started.  We don't do things like that now."  "A gig's a gig," I explained.  "If you've got no venue and want to earn the extra cash..."  The leader, Mike, thought about it and pulled out his datebook, "When?"  They were free and we agreed on a price.

"Do we have to rent tuxedos?"
"NO!"  "You got brushes for your drums?"
"Yeah."
"Leave 'em at home!"
"What songs do you have in mind?"

And my wife handed them a list containing songs like "My Life", "The Chicken Dance", "Under The Boardwalk", "Faithfully", etc.

"These are the songs you want us to play?"
"No," Amy says.  "These are the songs that if you play them, I'll personally kill you.  We want to have fun.  Screw the tradition and the old folks."  (To this Mike smirked.)
"One other thing...  Ever do a Jewish wedding?"
"No.  That'll be a problem, won't it?"
"Nah!  You just play Havah Nahgilah and we all dance the Horah.  It's easy and I'll get you the music.  Piece of cake.  You just have to make sure you don't cut it short - people hate that.  Keep going until the first old person drops... which will be after 20 minutes or so - it's the only exercise they take seriously all year.  Then you start to wind it down."

So we muddled through the "traditional parts" with a direction list I gave them.  They did great!  We gave them dinner and free reign at the open bar.  Then after dinner at around 9pm, it was straight-up party time.  They kept playing and we kept rocking and dancing.  At around midnight we noticed that the club in the Sheraton had emptied out and everyone had crashed our wedding.  At 2am the mgt was telling us to shut it down.  At 3am they finally just flipped the circuit breakers and killed the power to force everyone up to their rooms!

Mike and the band had so much fun, he knocked $200 off his fee!

My other favorite part...  We did the bouquet-throwing thing and the garter thing.  For the garter ceremony, I got both arms all the way under her dress and motioned like I was reaching waaaaaaaay up.  Reached into my coat sleeve instead (hidden under her dress) and then pulled out and displayed to everyone...

A pair of 60-inch waist granny-panties!  Laughing

Got it on video too with Amy saying, "OMG, what are you doing?!"

Hey, I gotta be me!  Tongue out

2009-02-17 11:33 AM
in reply to: #1963895

User image

Elite
Cheesehead, WI

jmk-brooklyn - 2009-02-15 11:06 PM  What went wrong at our wedding? One of the bridesmaids didn't pick up her dress until the night before the wedding and didn't take it out of the bag until the morning of. The store had forgotten to remove the big security tag from the dress. It was the kind that's full of ink, so we couldn't even bust if off with a screwdriver. The wedding was in the morning on a Sunday, so the store wasn't open, so she walked down the aisle with the tag on her dress, looking like she'd shoplifted it. On the plus side, she was able to go in the next day and return her dress, something I'm sure every bridesmaid wishes she could do. It was kind of a panic back then, but 16 years later, it's just a funny story.

THAT is priceless!!! LOL That alone would be good fodder for America's Funniest Home Videos! 

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Favorite Part of Your Wedding? Rss Feed  

of 3