General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Whats your boss done for you? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2009-02-12 12:08 PM
in reply to: #1958533

User image

Master
NJ
Subject: RE: Whats your boss done for you?
LaurenSU02 - 2009-02-12 10:17 AM

My boss is awesome. At my last day in the office before leaving for IM, my former boss (in cahoots with my current boss) had invited me to lunch. Well, he invited me like a week prior. Anyway, he drives me over to the restaurant of my choosing, and I walk in to discover a big table full of my work friends who all wanted to treat me to lunch and send me off to my IM. It was a great lunch, and it was awesome because they all asked so much about training and racing, and my race plan, etc. It was great to talk about it in depth with everyone, especially since they all planned to track me on race day.

Then, later that same day, I am sitting at my desk and suddenly hear "Chariots of Fire" playing from another part of my building. I turn to my boss as if to say, "Um, do you hear that?" and I discover that NO ONE is at their desks. Suddenly, like 50, maybe 60, co-workers come marching down the hall to my cubicle complete with music, cheering, balloons, noise makers, signs, and lots of fun gifts, including some gag gifts (e.g., swimmies in case I run into some problems during the swim). They also gave me a generous gift card which covered all my gas to LP as well as some other expenses. My boss organized the whole thing. Then, on Monday morning after a race, the whole team got into a conference room to call me to see how the race went .

Wow! That's awesome

2009-02-12 12:18 PM
in reply to: #1958087

User image

Veteran
Lakewood, CA

I am fortunate to work at a health and wellness company.  The company in general is very supportive of any physical activity.  They have an on site gym and encourage employees to use the gym.  My company also sponsor sports teams and Pro athletes (including Triathletes). 

My CIO is a former AG winner at Kona and is very supportive of my triathlon endeavors.  My boss is also supportive and turns a blind eye when I occationaly come into work late and take long lunches due to training.  He asks me how my training is going and is genuanly interested.

I also manage a team of 12  people and encourage my staff to use our company provided gym and allow them extra time at lunch.  I have also encouraged / conviced 3 people on my team to compeate as a relay team in a triathlon. I did the full triathlon and they did the spint relay. <ManagerTalk> It was an amazing team building exercise and everyone really enjoyed it </MangerTalk>

2009-02-12 12:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Dodge Center, MN
Wow that's great!

My boss hasn't laid me off and that's good enough for me right now.
2009-02-12 12:25 PM

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL

Well I am the boss so no one has done anything for me.  

However one of my employees is also into tris and running so we are going to be building a shower when we move into our new building.  I've given him the day off after races a few times.

Is that nice enough?

2009-02-12 12:43 PM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana

I'm the boss and I make everyone workout from 0630-0730 M-F, and they must take a physical fitness test for record 2x a year, and a diagnostic 2x a year...fail it, and there are consequences. Do well and it helps evaluation reports and promotions.
But then again, I'm in the Army and we all do that.

BUT, in my Army job before this one where I was not the boss and I was on staff, because I could produce a training and race schedule, they let me do my own thing instead of with the unit because they knew I was doing more than I'd get there.  We have some other various programs for folks too, like 5 of my Soldiers are currently going to boxing training in the morning instead of working out with the unit, and then in March they will participate in a "Boxing Smoker."  They also have pregnancy PT specifically designed and run well (finally) for pregnant Soldiers, and it's even broken down by different trimesters to accomodate what can be done. 

Edited by TexasMPGal 2009-02-12 12:44 PM
2009-02-12 1:03 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2009-02-12 1:35 PM

Extreme Veteran
Wausau WI

My dad is my boss and he hasn't done anything like that.

When I was training for my IM I would come in 1/2 hr late but work through my lunch and he complained about that. I did it anyway.

2009-02-12 1:52 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-02-12 2:57 PM

Extreme Veteran
San Jose, CA
LittleCat - 2009-02-11 9:45 PM

Please tell me there are other bosses out there who are openly, or secretly rooting for you?!

That's awesome of your boss!

Oh yes, I love mine. She lets me work from home so I can fit training in however is best in my schedule. She doesn't care if I take time off for races, training camp, etc. And she's sympathetic to my concerns about travel when it might happen around upcoming races or big training weeks - lets me figure out what is best when possible.
2009-02-12 3:56 PM

New user

Ironically, my boss called me right before I left work last night and told me to take a 1/2 day today and come in at 1:00 so I could sleep in a little and get my training in before work.

Overall, they've been very supportive.

2009-02-12 7:11 PM

Expert
Sun Prairie, WI

You guys are going to want to shoot me but here it goes.  I am fortunate enough to be in a leadership position in the military.  My boss, U.S. Navy, dictates that we workout, or make available, 3 workout days a week at 1.5 hours a shot.  We will do command PT and other individual workouts.  We also have a full gym, treadmills, spin bikes, elipticals, lifecycles and locker room on site.  I know life is rough.

On the flip side, we are held to height/weight/body fat % standards and are tested in a physical fitness assessment every 6 months.  This is not a problem for most but many military careers are cut short due to lack of adherence to standards.  Not a perfect system but effective none the less. 

Greg

2009-02-12 7:25 PM

That's very thoughtful of your boss, but it definately says something about you and your work ethic that your boss thought enough of you to do that.  So, yay! for you AND your boss.
2009-02-12 7:28 PM

Expert
Wellington, North Island
At my organization my supervisor told me I could rearrange my schedule during IM training to do things like work an extra hour on my rest day and come in an hour late on my long run day. They also sent around an e-mails telling everyone about the race.

I'll be doing an inaugural marathon in the area where our southern Illinois office is located and one of my co-workers offered to let me stay with her, they are volunteering at the race, and having a pasta dinner the night before.
2009-02-12 7:57 PM

When I was in the USAF they used to encourage longer lunches in order to work out.  Now, I have the perfect job for triathlon, teaching!  Come June I can work out like a fiendLaughing
2009-02-13 4:20 AM

My boss on a group conference call commended my attendance at my first tri by pointing out that I must have finished because there were no reports of middle aged deaths in sporting events... i retorted that I had not yet, unlike everyone else on the call, reached middle age. :-) in his own way he was being nice.

As a boss myself I tell every one of my guys about my exploits in buffoonery in running,biking,swimming, they all know what Im doing and over the 6mths Ive been bleating on about it about 5 or 6 have started to train as well.  I just paid for our team entry to a singapore marathon which we are doing in may.  None of us work in the same country so I cant do much else.  Just as someone enlightened and encouraged me to do this - so Im doing it for them, and its cool when someone takes up a sport because you evangelise it. On that subject they do consider that i have taken this as a religion (as do my entire family), i reply that I had considered taking up heroin but the bike was cheaper. 

2009-02-13 10:20 AM

Expert
Ontario

Nothing from my boss but when I returned to work after my 70.3 last year the 5 people I work with regularly gave me a nice card and a gift card for a running store.  I work with great people !!

2009-02-13 10:41 AM

Veteran
Maine
My company "Tyler Technologies" paid the 750.00 Community fund for IMLP. They also allowed me to run a Biggest loser fund raiser for the make a wish foundation.

They allowed me to create a site called "Tyler Fitness" on our Sharepoint server so all 17 divisions of Tyler could collaborate and participate in the biggest loser challenge/other fitness events.

We also have a gym and they are well aware that I take 1-1:15 hours to workout everyday.

The president of my division and the CEO ask me how training is going every time they see me.

PS: Tyler is doing very well and is always hiring. I'm looking for a SQL admin as we speak.

www.tylertech.com
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Whats your boss done for you? Rss Feed  

of 2