Spectrum Health
32F / 0C
Precipitation
Total Time = 23m 57s
Overall Rank = 339/1567
Age Group = Males 30-34
Age Group Rank = 48/118
Pre-race routine:

Didn't feel very warmed up for my last 5K a month ago, was really tight going out and didn't eat right the day before. So this time I fixed those things. Ate well on Friday (and chose not to stay up to watch MSU).
Event warmup:

4.2 mile jog around Reeds Lake as slow as I could stand, finishing up about 10 minutes before race time. I felt very loose at the start line and my muscles were warmed up, which was key since it was snowing/raining/sleeting as the race began. Was a long warm-up for a 5K, but I had 15 miles to squeeze in today, so had to get the mileage in anyway. For me, on this day, a very smart move.
Run
  • 23m 57s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 42s  min/mile
Comments:

BIG TIME EXCITING DAY FOR ME:
Good 5K;
Passed and beat some members of my running group;
Went sub-24 minutes;
7:42 pace (previous fast 5K was 7:56 pace);
and a PR by about 38 seconds;
All under less than ideal weather conditions.

Felt good, in fact it felt VERY good. One of my running buddies was about 15 feet in front of me for the second half of the race. I couldn't catch him, but he is a great runner and my goal was to keep him reeled in. I dialed in a good pace I thought I could maintain and it felt right. At the 2 mile mark, I nudged it up just a hair and I found I could maintain that too. I opted not to go balls-to-the-wall only because I had already run 4 miles of warm-up and still had 8 miles to come for marathon training AFTER the 5K. Nevertheless, opened it up for the last quarter mile down my favorite ending stretch. I'd love to know how I could have run this if I didn't have the marathon training. I would have left EVERYTHING on the course.

Gun clock read 24:15 as I crossed, which made me think I might have gone under 24 minutes for my chip time. (Yep!! 23:57!! I jumped around when I saw it) First time I've ever been in the top half of my age group (48 of 118).
What would you do differently?:

Very little. Might have wanted more speed, but had to conserve a bit.
Post race
Warm down:

Lots of walking, plus 8.4 miles of marathon training.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

No doubt: 12 additional miles of Marathon Training. And perhaps some sloppiness on the course. It had snowed about one inch immediately before the race. Normally I like a little snow underfoot, but it got a little sloppy and slushy underfoot. Not really slippery, but very wet (heavy shoes and socks) and a felt my foot slide a couple times. No big deal, but a dry course and slightly warmer temps would leave room for improvement

Event comments:

The traditional kick-off to the Grand Rapids race season. These folks do a great job, but caught some bad race-day weather which kept their numbers down.

Last updated: 2005-03-20 12:00 AM
Running
00:23:57 | 03.11 miles | 07m 42s  min/mile
Age Group: 48/118
Overall: 339/1567
Performance: Good
No spotwatch and no split times. The mile markers actually all blew over anyway. Almost no one knew where the splits were.
Course: Fairly flat course with several straightaways through an area I run in weekly. Fairly wide, except for a short stretch at about the 1/4 mile mark which was quite narrow. Got boxed in here, but it didn't last long. Was very fun to run in the streets when I'm used to running up on the sidewalk there. Final 1/2 mile rolls gently, ending with a short downhill segment, a soft right turn, and the finish line. I love this ending, since the finish line was almost exactly where I finish every Monday. It's as if I had been training for this finish for months.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-03-20 10:07 AM

User image

Regular
Austin, Texas
Subject: Irish Jig 5K

2005-03-20 8:59 PM
in reply to: #131935

User image

Expert
Adrian, MI
Subject: RE: Irish Jig 5K

Congrats on the PB, Matt

Isn't it cool to see all your effort and training pay off ?  I see no reason why your times will not continue to plummet...  You'll be knockin' on the 20 minute door within a year I bet!

Now get that knee fixed!!  LOL.  You didn't stay up for the MSU game?  Tsk, tsk

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Irish Jig 5K Rss Feed