General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Rumpass in Bumpass International : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 7

2009-04-19 6:40 AM
in reply to: #1961990

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: Rumpass in Bumpass International : Official Thread

Your son took some grat shots for you.

2009-04-19 8:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Leesburg, VA
So here is my Rumpass in Bumpass memory. The swim wasn't too bad once you get started you don't even notice the cold. My arms got tired which is unusual but that was likely due to very little practice in the wetsuit. I did well in my wave (5 last) and even pased a few from the two waves ahaed of me. I head out on the bike and I am kind of tired but not bad since my prep was kind of lacking.

I get to about mile 2.5 and my rear cogs click a couple of times and then I hear the most horrific sound I have ever heard a bike make. My chain ghost shifted from my big ring in the back and sucked my derailuer into my spokes. I know I spelled that wrong but I don't care. So I get off the bike and realize that I am not going to be able to fix this. I ask those passing me to send the support truck if they see it.

The mech eventually shows up about 10 min later and asseses the situation. He tries to bend the hanger back and it breaks off in his hand. So my options are to throw the bike in the back of the truck and walk back becasue he does not have room for me or he says he can make it a single speed so I can limp it back. I tell him to give me the best middle of the road gear that he can and I will just finish the race. The problem is that the chain broke in a couple of places so he is only able to get be about 38-15 or something close to that. Luckly there were only about 5 semi step hills to climb over the next 10 miles but I also could not stand to climb because he could not tension the chain so it was a bit loose.

I was almost the last bike at this point but I did manage to track on mountain biker down and pass her. I eventually finished the bike and started the run but I had absolutely no energy left and my legs were beyond gone. I had to interval run the 3 miles (I am not a stellar runner to begin with).

The worst part is that becaue I am a big guy and I am dying at this point everyone who passes me is yelling "You can do it, keep trying, not too much further" Now I appreciate the encouragement but this is my 5th race. Man I am not a big fan of finishing that close to the back of the pack.

Anyway I passed a few people and had my sights set on a guy who was heading out when I was comming in on the bike when my legs started locking up. I was cramping from my knees almost to my waist in both legs. So needless to say I did not catch my target.

The race was still a sucess when my 11 year old told me at the finish line "at least you didn't give up". I started tearing up. I love it when my kids get the point that exact point that I was trying to show them.

Z
2009-04-19 10:11 PM
in reply to: #2096043

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Gold member

TheyCallMeTiny - 2009-04-19 9:29 PM So here is my Rumpass in Bumpass memory. The swim wasn't too bad once you get started you don't even notice the cold. My arms got tired which is unusual but that was likely due to very little practice in the wetsuit. I did well in my wave (5 last) and even pased a few from the two waves ahaed of me. I head out on the bike and I am kind of tired but not bad since my prep was kind of lacking. I get to about mile 2.5 and my rear cogs click a couple of times and then I hear the most horrific sound I have ever heard a bike make. My chain ghost shifted from my big ring in the back and sucked my derailuer into my spokes. I know I spelled that wrong but I don't care. So I get off the bike and realize that I am not going to be able to fix this. I ask those passing me to send the support truck if they see it. The mech eventually shows up about 10 min later and asseses the situation. He tries to bend the hanger back and it breaks off in his hand. So my options are to throw the bike in the back of the truck and walk back becasue he does not have room for me or he says he can make it a single speed so I can limp it back. I tell him to give me the best middle of the road gear that he can and I will just finish the race. The problem is that the chain broke in a couple of places so he is only able to get be about 38-15 or something close to that. Luckly there were only about 5 semi step hills to climb over the next 10 miles but I also could not stand to climb because he could not tension the chain so it was a bit loose. I was almost the last bike at this point but I did manage to track on mountain biker down and pass her. I eventually finished the bike and started the run but I had absolutely no energy left and my legs were beyond gone. I had to interval run the 3 miles (I am not a stellar runner to begin with). The worst part is that becaue I am a big guy and I am dying at this point everyone who passes me is yelling "You can do it, keep trying, not too much further" Now I appreciate the encouragement but this is my 5th race. Man I am not a big fan of finishing that close to the back of the pack. Anyway I passed a few people and had my sights set on a guy who was heading out when I was comming in on the bike when my legs started locking up. I was cramping from my knees almost to my waist in both legs. So needless to say I did not catch my target. The race was still a sucess when my 11 year old told me at the finish line "at least you didn't give up". I started tearing up. I love it when my kids get the point that exact point that I was trying to show them.

Way to finish!

2009-04-20 5:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Burke, VA
Way to finish Tiny. I might have seen you on the gravel road. I was putting stuff in my car and you were getting by. I could tell you were cramping bad. You said you had to ride single gear the whole bike, so I am guessing this was you. Way to tough it out the whole way. I know it's gotta suck to finish like that, but at least you got the finish. A lot would DNF. I saw a lot of people with bike issues in the last few miles. Saw a few lost water bottles too. Oh, and the guy in front of me went over the handlebars. I hope he was able to finish.
2009-04-20 6:01 AM

Expert

TheyCallMeTiny - 2009-04-19 9:29 PM  The race was still a sucess...

Tiny! Despite adversity you did it. Good job.

2009-04-20 7:06 AM

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
TheyCallMeTiny - 2009-04-19 9:29 PM So here is my Rumpass in Bumpass memory. The swim wasn't too bad once you get started you don't even notice the cold. My arms got tired which is unusual but that was likely due to very little practice in the wetsuit. I did well in my wave (5 last) and even pased a few from the two waves ahaed of me. I head out on the bike and I am kind of tired but not bad since my prep was kind of lacking. I get to about mile 2.5 and my rear cogs click a couple of times and then I hear the most horrific sound I have ever heard a bike make. My chain ghost shifted from my big ring in the back and sucked my derailuer into my spokes. I know I spelled that wrong but I don't care. So I get off the bike and realize that I am not going to be able to fix this. I ask those passing me to send the support truck if they see it. The mech eventually shows up about 10 min later and asseses the situation. He tries to bend the hanger back and it breaks off in his hand. So my options are to throw the bike in the back of the truck and walk back becasue he does not have room for me or he says he can make it a single speed so I can limp it back. I tell him to give me the best middle of the road gear that he can and I will just finish the race. The problem is that the chain broke in a couple of places so he is only able to get be about 38-15 or something close to that. Luckly there were only about 5 semi step hills to climb over the next 10 miles but I also could not stand to climb because he could not tension the chain so it was a bit loose. I was almost the last bike at this point but I did manage to track on mountain biker down and pass her. I eventually finished the bike and started the run but I had absolutely no energy left and my legs were beyond gone. I had to interval run the 3 miles (I am not a stellar runner to begin with). The worst part is that becaue I am a big guy and I am dying at this point everyone who passes me is yelling "You can do it, keep trying, not too much further" Now I appreciate the encouragement but this is my 5th race. Man I am not a big fan of finishing that close to the back of the pack. Anyway I passed a few people and had my sights set on a guy who was heading out when I was comming in on the bike when my legs started locking up. I was cramping from my knees almost to my waist in both legs. So needless to say I did not catch my target. The race was still a sucess when my 11 year old told me at the finish line "at least you didn't give up". I started tearing up. I love it when my kids get the point that exact point that I was trying to show them.

Sorry to hear about the mechanical.  I was standing at the 2nd to last turn on the bike, where the policeman was standing directing traffic.  One of the setup guys was there on the radio trying to get the truck out to you when I was standing there.

Good job on finishing after all that mess.

2009-04-20 8:20 AM

User image

Veteran
Leesburg, VA
Thanks to all for the compliments.

We were hoping to meet some of you guys and gals this weekend but didn't get the chance. Its so much funner to have others to hang our with after the race.
2009-04-20 9:16 AM

User image

Here or there

Nerves.... So I finished my first tri!  I was a bundle of nerves Saturday morning and wound up having parenting issues Saturday a.m. which put me about 25 minutes behind.  So as I'm getting ready to leave I, against the advice in the pre race meeting, decided to put a couple of pumps of air in my back tire.  So we put the bike in the boat and head down to the marina.  On the way I look down and see that my back tire has gone flat!  Get to the race... ok I've still got twenty minutes no problem.  Swap the tube and pump up the tire.  Fiddle with the pump and break off the valve stem!  Arghhhhh..... No extra tube.  Take the wheel and run to the tent... the GREAT GUYS running the tent say we'll fix it for you and put it on your bike go ahead and go.  About 5 minutes to go (I'm in the novice, last wave).  Get to my gear and realize that I don't have any way to attach my bib number for the run!  (planned on doing that this morning).  Run back to the tent and the GREAT GUYS at the tent come through again. "Can I take a number belt and pay you at the end??!" they say "Sure".   Run back to the gear.  Scrambling toward the ramp and the horn blows!  There goes everyone... straight into the water and yelling at my wife and kids who are looking out at the purple caps wondering which one's me!  Then they see me on the left side coming up from behind!  Wasn't that a great start to my first Tri?!!!!  Anyhow the thing I was most worried about was the first 100 meters the adrenaline,adjusting my breathing, etc... Forgot all about it and before I knew it I was catching up!  I made up some time on the swim, but I really enjoyed the race.  I was spent by the run, but I finished!  Thanks to everyone for the positive comments and my family really enjoyed the atmosphere!  I'll see you at the Kinetic Sprint! 

Edited by brockadoo 2009-04-20 9:17 AM
2009-04-21 9:11 AM
in reply to: #2096754

User image

Veteran
Leesburg, VA
brockadoo - 2009-04-20 10:16 AM

Nerves.... So I finished my first tri!  I was a bundle of nerves Saturday morning and wound up having parenting issues Saturday a.m. which put me about 25 minutes behind.  So as I'm getting ready to leave I, against the advice in the pre race meeting, decided to put a couple of pumps of air in my back tire.  So we put the bike in the boat and head down to the marina.  On the way I look down and see that my back tire has gone flat!  Get to the race... ok I've still got twenty minutes no problem.  Swap the tube and pump up the tire.  Fiddle with the pump and break off the valve stem!  Arghhhhh..... No extra tube.  Take the wheel and run to the tent... the GREAT GUYS running the tent say we'll fix it for you and put it on your bike go ahead and go.  About 5 minutes to go (I'm in the novice, last wave).  Get to my gear and realize that I don't have any way to attach my bib number for the run!  (planned on doing that this morning).  Run back to the tent and the GREAT GUYS at the tent come through again. "Can I take a number belt and pay you at the end??!" they say "Sure".   Run back to the gear.  Scrambling toward the ramp and the horn blows!  There goes everyone... straight into the water and yelling at my wife and kids who are looking out at the purple caps wondering which one's me!  Then they see me on the left side coming up from behind!  Wasn't that a great start to my first Tri?!!!!  Anyhow the thing I was most worried about was the first 100 meters the adrenaline,adjusting my breathing, etc... Forgot all about it and before I knew it I was catching up!  I made up some time on the swim, but I really enjoyed the race.  I was spent by the run, but I finished!  Thanks to everyone for the positive comments and my family really enjoyed the atmosphere!  I'll see you at the Kinetic Sprint! 

Wahoo another addict. Welcome to the insanity!

2009-04-21 9:18 AM

User image

Veteran
Leesburg, VA
Here is the lovely single speed.

2009-04-21 8:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Gainesville
Wow!  You guys have great spirit to power through all that!  It was my first tri, too (other than the Tri It Now mini sprint) and my prayers and offerings to the bike-chain-and-tire gods seemed to pay off this time.  But there are SO many things outside of our control, its bound to happen to everyone at some point.

When I was on the bike in the sprint, I passed a guy on the side of the road w/ his pedals and front gears in his hand - bad deal!  I would have no clue!  But he was cheering everyone on as they went by.  I couldn't believe it!  What a great group of people.  Count me in as a new addict, too!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Rumpass in Bumpass International : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 7