United States
47F / 8C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 34m 49s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 4/44
Pre-race routine:

Drank a boost about an hour before the race. Decided to run in a tank and shorts. Good decision. Temps were in the mid 40's with drizzle. Absolutely ideal conditions. I knew my effort would be enough to keep me warm on the course and didn't want to over heat
Event warmup:

Ran about 1/4 mile. Loosened up the legs. The legs felt about 75%. Last weekends race and last weeks workouts were tough on them.
Run
  • 1h 35m 49s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

Solid Half Marathon as I make my way back to a decent fitness level. Went out strong. First two miles were in the 6:50 per mile range. After that, low 7's and where the hills kicked in, mid 7's. The real hills come from miles 10 through 13.1. The point where the 10k runners turn around to head back is pretty much the start of the difficult portion.

I kept pace with a girl in front of me, 100% of the way. I could not gain on her, and she could not gain on me. She had some monster calf muscles. Anyway, I tried to gain on her, but no go. She was a super consistant runner.
What would you do differently?:

Lose weight. eeeesh. How many times and different ways do I have to tell myself this. It's rediculous. Take 10 lbs off me today, and I would have PR'd. Stupid, and I'm getting tired of it.
Post race
Warm down:

Swung back out on the course and watched as 7 others came in. Had some muscle tightness in my chest, that I am pretty sure was from the push ups that I am doing, but I will watch it. It definitely didn't feel deep. Felt like center rib cage. My heart rate was excellent the whole race.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Fat Fat Fat Fat Fat Fat Fat Fat Fat Fat Fat Fat

and mabye going hard on my legs recently with no recovery.. THIS.. is now a recovery week, through Friday.

Event comments:

They do a good job with this race. LOTS of people out there, cause there is also a 10k, 5k, and 1 mile fun run for kids. It could use some chip timing, and a gel station for the half runners, but that is just a wish list. Great Value for what you get right now.

Last updated: 2009-02-14 12:00 AM
Running
01:35:49 | 13.1 miles | 07m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/44
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back on a closed Ronald Reagan Parkway. Hilly course. Great run, but boring scenery. Road conditions were perfect, but wet.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-02-14 6:56 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga
Subject: Run the Reagan

2009-02-14 7:29 PM
in reply to: #1962500

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Run the Reagan

Solid run, man!

You probably PR if you're rested! 

2009-02-15 8:55 AM

Extreme Veteran
Solid race dude, but d*mn no kidding on the chip timing thing, they didn't even hardly notice when I had crossed the finish line.  My watch time was 1:24:21, but I think they didn't realize my actual time so just rounded it up to 25 min, BLEH.  I was on a ridiculous pace and then miles 10-13 sucked the life right out of my legs.
2009-02-19 7:29 PM

User image

Veteran

I think it's a really good performance for this time of year, etc.  Solid per mile times for sure.  Frankly I'm impressed that you stayed awake for this one.  (Snore the Reagan!)

Seriously.  A good, good day.  Congrats.

H.  Laughing

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Run the Reagan Rss Feed