General Discussion Race Reports! » The JCC Scottsdale Spring Sprint Triathlon (Former Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

The JCC Scottsdale Spring Sprint Triathlon (Former - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Scottsdale, Arizona
United States
Tri-Family Racing
ColdF / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 10m 23s
Overall Rank = 5/7
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 2/2
Pre-race routine:

For breakfast I had a bowl of Generic Knock-off cheerios and some 2% milk. I tossed back a protein shake when I left the house. I spent a lot of time setting up my transition area, trying to imagine myself running out from the pool and getting my gear on, where would I want stuff. In the end, I totally failed, but I learned pretty much exactly where I *don't* want my gear next time.
Event warmup:

I imitated Michael Phelps as best I could before getting into the water. One can only hope I didn't look like an idiot. In the warm-up pool I did a ton of mini-laps trying to get the blood flowing to my arms, I think it helped some.
Swim
  • 06m 16s
  • 250 yards
  • 02m 31s / 100 yards
Comments:

The water was amazing, and warm, and felt awesome in the cold weather. There was a thick cloud of steam lifting slowly from the surface, and the warm-up pool connected with the main pool at one end.

I switched strokes a bit towards the end, freestyle was killing my arms, so I switched to breast stroke where I feel a bit more natural, though it's tougher on the shoulders.

I realized about 4 people away from my own start that I had to pee, very badly. And I've had this phobia of peeing in pools since I was younger stemming from a bad experience involving pool chemicals that react in vivid colors. So I swam with a full bladder.

I didn't do too well changing directions at the end of each lap, I need to practice that a bit more. I used the end of each lap as an opportunity to get in a quick breath, which cost me some time. I need to build up my endurance.

As a side note, I met Chad (Slidell4Life) in the warm-up pool, he had a couple good bits of advice for me which I used on my swim (most notably pushing harder on the second half of the swim, so the muscles are warmed up for the run to T1 which I was convinced would be absolutely freezing but thanks to his advice I didn't mind it as much, even welcomed the cold as a chance to cool myself off a bit.)
What would you do differently?:

Pee before I get in the water. Practice my turns, and stop less.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

I felt like I kept forgetting something. I didn't have a solid checklist of what to grab for the bike ride. My gear that I had meticulously set up using zero experience and a lot of guesswork (and peeking at other competitor's transition areas) turned out to be pretty inefficient, stuff felt like it was everywhere.

I chose a spot before I really knew where everything else was located and so I ended up at the far end of the transition area. Also, I am happy with my actual spot on the rack, I nabbed a curb spot, and so when I finished the swim I had a place to sit and put my shoes on.

I saw a lot of people with buckets, and didn't know what they were for, but that became apparent quickly, paul pointed out that they were probably to sit on.

I chose to go sock-less in my new tri-shoes and it was the right choice, the vents in the shoes dried my feet fast, and socks would have kept my feet wet during the bike ride.

I didn't get a time for my T1 or T2 because I never started my timer. And the "official race results" didn't have T1 or T2 listed.

I need to practice transition in my home, figure out where I want stuff. And go over it a few times before my next tri. Paul suggested we set up a bar at his house near his pool so that we can swim a couple laps, hop out of the pool, practice T1, then go for a bike ride around the block, back to the bar, and practice T2, then run around the block.
Bike
  • 44m 45s
  • 9.5 miles
  • 12.74 mile/hr
Comments:

The road was relatively clear of debris. No trash other than the occasional dropped water bottle, some cups from the hydration stations, and some leaves and twigs from the trees.

There was very little wind, I noticed a slow breeze as I headed south on hayden, but the breeze was going north so it was hitting pretty forcefully.

I don't have aero bars yet, and I still had a full bladder from before the swim, so I was limited in how much I could lean over to stop my body from acting like a sail. I am now convinced that aero bars will have a noticeable impact on my next tri. I will definitely have that set up by then.

I stayed most of the course with my front gears on the big ring and my rear gears on the second biggest ring and only switched up one ring in the back to pass. I was comfortable like this, which is a problem. I have very strong legs, and could have pushed my ride time down easily by 15 minutes by upping the gears a bit.

Use harder gears. I wasn't even winded at the end of the ride. I need to pick up aero-bars.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

T2 went much smoother than T1, I got off the bike, sat down, rolled my socks on, swapped shoes and decided to take that opportunity to finally empty my bladder. I forgot to lock the door to the port-a-potty, and got walked in on by someone. Clenching off a solid stream on a frigid day when you've got two legs of a race behind you and your muscles are all tight already is not a remotely pleasant experience. I thoroughly suggest you avoid it.

Lock the door
Run
  • 19m 24s
  • 2 miles
  • 09m 42s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt really motivated going into this final leg, because at the end of it, I not only finished a race, but I earned a title. Triathlete. Plus my wife, kids, and in-laws were out by the start of the run cheering me on, so I had a solid head of steam going for the first half mile, probably a 7 minute mile pace. My legs felt great since I hadn't pushed myself particularly hard on the bike.

I kept pace with a few people here and there, a younger guy named Jacob, a Girl named Sarah with a stressful job, even passed by chad (Slidell4life) and my buddy Paul on the run. I find it much harder for me to run if I'm by myself, there's no motivation in it for me, but if I can find someone and keep pace with them, I can strike up a conversation, meet someone new, and be a little better for it.

I'd like to get my stride analyzed and maybe get some better running shoes and some instruction on proper running form.

Stop less, keep a steady pace. I can do 9 minute miles without much trouble, I'd like to aim for 8 minutes by the next tri.
Post race
Warm down:

As I crossed the finish line with a triumphant cheer, some of the people I had met on the swim, bike and run were there or were there shortly after and were cheering me on.

My family came over and my son sprinted (He's only 3 but he's pretty fast for a 3 year old) over to me with a huge grin on his face.

I couldn't have asked for a more exhilirating finish.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Experience, Training, and ultimately I competed with the wrong mindset. I had convinced myself that even a sprint triathlon would push me to my limit at this stage, so I came with the intent on merely finishing. If I could do that I would be happy, and I did, and I am. But had I known that the bike and run would't have pushed me really, I would have pushed myself more.

I feel mildly unhappy with my performance, but at the same time I'm ecstatic that I completed my first triathlon.

Event comments:

Overall it was probably the best race I could have chosen for my first Tri. It was an easy course, one that I could have pushed myself on without fear of major injury, the water was warm, the road was flat, and the weather was cool (Okay, I froze my a** off at 6:30 in the morning, but I wouldn't trade it for the world).

I also stuck around afterwards through all of the awards presentations and managed to score myself a big tub of "Heed" (Electrolyte powder drink stuff) from Hammer, and an extra t-shirt.

My buddy paul got a $50 gift card to Landis Sports.

To anyone looking for a good first tri, this one is perfect. It's shorter than most sprints, and everyone is very helpful and friendly, even the race coordinator himself was out on the course cheering us on as we passed by.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-01-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:16 | 250 yards | 02m 31s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/2
Overall: 6/7
Performance: Average
Suit: Zoot blue and gold tri shorts.
Course: 25 Yard olympic pool, 10 lengths.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:44:45 | 9.5 miles | 12.74 mile/hr
Overall: 5/7
Performance: Below average
3 laps
Wind: Some
Course: West on Sweetwater to Scottsdale Rd, North on Scottsdale to Thunderbird East on Thunderbird (Curves north to become Redfield) to Hayden South on Hayden to Sweetwater West on Sweetwater to Start. Very flat, through residential areas, police barracaded and coned off the course to keep it safe, and officers were posted at each turn.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:19:24 | 02 miles | 09m 42s  min/mile
Overall: 3/7
Performance: Average
Out and Back
Course: Sweetwater to Hayden and Back. Aid Stations at the 1/2 mile and 1 mile mark.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-02-15 11:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: The JCC Scottsdale Spring Sprint Triathlon (Former

2009-02-16 12:27 AM
in reply to: #1963902

User image

Elite
Mesa, AZ
Subject: RE: The JCC Scottsdale Spring Sprint Triathlon (Former
FANTASTIC job!!! Welcome to the thrilling, exciting and addicting world of multi sport! You are officially a triathlete!
2009-02-16 9:49 AM

User image

Elite
Phoenix, AZ

It was nice to meet you yesterday! I'm glad you had such a good time. It's awesome that your family was there to cheer you on.

For running-shoe advice, check out Runner's Den. They will watch you run and work with you find the right shoe for your stride.

Congrats!

2009-02-16 11:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Phoenix, AZ
Great job finishing your first Tri!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The JCC Scottsdale Spring Sprint Triathlon (Former Rss Feed