General Discussion Race Reports! » Myrtle Beach Half Marathon (Dasani) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Myrtle Beach Half Marathon (Dasani) - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
United States
Myrtle Beach Marathon
50F / 10C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 50m 7s
Overall Rank = 490/2829
Age Group = F40-44
Age Group Rank = 28/236
Pre-race routine:

The race started at 6:30am, so I got up at 4:30. I ate breakfast and dressed. Then I hung around until 6:00. I didn't want to leave too early. I decided to wear shorts and a short sleeve shirt to run in. It was too cold to just stand around in that though, but I didn't want to check a bag. So I tried to time it so I would show up at the race sight with just a few minutes to wait for the start.
Event warmup:

I stayed at the Sheraton Broadway Plantation. It was just on the other side of Broadway at the Beach from the race site. I decided to just walk to the race site. But this wasn't a hotel, it was a large complex of what they called "villas" - they were like small condos. We were in the last building, so it took almost as long to walk out of the complex as it did to walk from one side of Broadway at the Beach to the other.
Run
  • 1h 50m 7s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

I had planned to just treat this race as a training run. It was not an A or a B race for me. I hadn't trained specifically for it. I am in the middle of training for a HIM. I had actually decided to do this race because I was also planning to do the 63 mile bike ride the next day.

It was extremely crowded at the start of the race. I spent a lot of time trying to get around walkers that had lined up at the front of the line. After a couple of miles, I was able to keep a steady pace though. So, I just found a comfortable pace and stuck with it.

I was no where near my PR time with this race. But that was fine. I finished with a respectable time and I had fun.

The last time I did this race, I did the full marathon. The half marathoners and marathons run the same course for the first 13 miles, then the half marathoners turn off at the finish line. It was mentally tough as a marathoner to know I was only halfway when the half marathoners were running for the finish. But this year, it was fun to turn off and be finished - while watching the others continue.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. I kept a good, constant pace. It was a great training run.
Post race
Warm down:

My DH stayed in the room while I ran. I told him not to bother to come. I would probably be back before he woke up anyway (which I was). So, after I finished I grabbed some water, a banana and a pack of crackers and started the walk back to the room.

The only problem was that I was not soaked in sweat. So it was chilly out and I was wet. By the time I got back, I was one big goose bump!

When I crossed the intersection at 29th Ave, a cop stopped me. She wanted to show my medal to one of the other cops because she thought they were cool. Since the race had been on Valentine's Day, the medals were heart shaped.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not running any faster.

Event comments:

This is a great race and a good course (especially if you want a flat, fast course).

Last updated: 2008-11-24 12:00 AM
Running
01:50:07 | 13.1 miles | 08m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 28/236
Overall: 490/2829
Performance: Average
Course: Start and finish at the baseball field across from Broadway at the Beach. Run around Broadway at the Beach, then down to Ocean Blvd. Run from one end of Ocean Blvd to the other, then turn around and run back up King's Hwy. Then back over to Robert Grissom Pkwy to the finish.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-02-16 7:51 AM

User image

Veteran
Fayetteville, NC
Subject: Myrtle Beach Half Marathon (Dasani)
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Myrtle Beach Half Marathon (Dasani) Rss Feed