Premier Sports
30F / -1C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 28m 45s
Overall Rank = 7/196
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 1/27
Pre-race routine:

I had a normal dinner, I laid out all of my race items, had a couple of beers and got to bed at a reasonable hour.
I got up just before 6am. I have bathroom issues so I need to maximize potty time -otherwise I'd sleep in longer race days. I had my usual race morning routine. Small bowl of cereal, cup of OJ, cup of coffee, and nibbled on a peanut butter power bar and sipped a cup of gatorade over the next hour. Hit packet pick just after 7.

My wife sacrificially got up at 6:20 to support me here - and I am a race premadonna with lots of special needs and particulars. THANKS. I saw Rita once during the race and once right after I finished- she was lookin good- as always. Great job Rita! I didn't see anyone else I knew.
This race is cheap at $35. Like last year parking and packet pickup were easy. Nice shirt (Amanda took it). The weather, which was forecasted to be worse, was very pleasant. It was in the 30's no precip, 5-10 mph winds. This was nice to run in but Amanda was not liking it on the sidelines. Restrooms were sparse but this didn't seem to create a problem. The race started on time. The half seemed like it was less competitive from the start. Results showed this to be true.

Event warmup:

I ran a one mile warm up. Got my wife situated with all of my stuff .1 mile before the finish line, did some leg drills and lined up.
Run
  • 1h 28m 45s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 06m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

It was weird that this race started so slow. I really expected more people out ahead early on. My wife was flashing signs of my goal lap times. I was good through 8 miles but fell slightly behind after. Mile seven I was not mentally with it. The final lap I was able to pace behind someone. I finished with in my goal range.
This was nice weather to run in but Amanda was not liking it on the sidelines.
The other complaint I have is lap counting. last year I didn't count and counted on them. They also didn't count. This year I had Amanda post signs for me each lap. At the end of my 11th lap they told me I had finished 10. This is worse than saying nothing. I stopped at the real 13.1 and there results match but it was very frustrating. I was passed by someone in the last half mile which helped pull me in to a PR finish. I ran a 1:28:45 and I finished first in the 40-49 age group. Last year they messed up the distribution of awards - they may have done it again this year but it didn't affect me. We grabbed some post race treats which were nice (no coffee though) and headed out.
What would you do differently?:

I would remember to use my inhaler BEFORE the race. I tried taking a gummie bear each lap - this didn't work for me so I ditch them after 4.
Post race
Warm down:

I did a little over half mile - it hurt. I should do more.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I need to stay focused every mile. It helps to have a pacer - friend or rival. I know I can always put more miles in on the road and get in more speed work and cross training.

Event comments:

A couple key factors make this race - LOW cost and time of year. Other benefits are it is fast, fluids are available, music is playing, crowds are out, it is a fast course. These positives far outweigh the problems.

Last updated: 2009-02-16 12:00 AM
Running
01:28:45 | 13.1 miles | 06m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/27
Overall: 7/196
Performance: Good
(unofficial mile one 6:05 + 39 tenth) 1: mile 1.1- 6:44 mile 2: 6:39 3: 6:38 (5k 20:00) 4: 6:51 5: 6:49 6: 6:54 (10k 40:32) 7: 7:00 8: 6:57 9: 6:59 10: 6:55 11: 6:56 12: 6:55 13: 6:35 I don't have a heart monitor - I just kinda guage how I feel. i know the first mile will be considerably faster and it is OK as long as my breathing and comfort level are good.
Course: 1 mile loop - which was fine. Flat. turns a re a little tight. Again it was a little crowded on the course. I wish they would eliminate the 5k. It just adds to congestion and doesn't seems to have a real purpose. With all the weaving in and out of traffic it adds distance BUT it keeps the mind going.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-02-16 11:24 AM

User image

Expert
Columbus
Subject: Last Chance for Boston

2009-02-17 3:22 PM
in reply to: #1964488

User image

Master
Ohio
Subject: RE: Last Chance for Boston

So, did you qualify or not? If so, are you doing Boston?

Either way, Great run!

2009-02-17 10:38 PM
in reply to: #1966896

User image

Expert
Columbus

Thanks.

It is called the last chance for boston for those registered in the full marathon.

The pace I had wouldda put me WAY in.  But since I was doing a half - no.

My next marathon I have plannned is Columbus in 2012.  Maybe boston in 13.

2009-02-18 4:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Latonia, Kentucky (near Cincinnati)
Well, if SOMEONE had to beat me, at least it was a BT'er!  Great job!!!!!!  Yea, they messed up calling out my laps as well.  At least my Garmin reminded me of how many miles I had done.  If I would have know another bt'er was there, I would have hooked up with ya!  Take care, and AWESOME RACE!
2009-02-18 6:33 PM
in reply to: #1969370

User image

Expert
Columbus

definitely let me know when you are racing again timebaron.  I always want a buddy at races - regardless of pace but in your case you could double as a pacer.

And it is thanks to you I am on BT.  I searched for last chance for boston photos on google and your race report came up. 

This is an AWESOME website.  I am glad I found it.

I never did find race photos.  not that I ever buy them but I like to look through them all.

Great job at the race!

2009-02-18 6:47 PM

User image

Expert
NW Suburbs, Illinois
Great reace!  And FWIW, you qualified for the NY marathon...which is really tougher to get into.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Last Chance for Boston Rss Feed