The Austin Marathon Foundation, Inc.
50F / 10C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 16m 57s
Overall Rank = 3775/6959
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 362/516
Pre-race routine:

Where do I even start? My first ever half-marathon. The most I've even done in training was 10mi. I had to work the night before the race (and tried, but couldn't get off work). I got off work at 330am, got home around 4a, changed and then made a breakfast taco around 430a, relaxed a little, and then left the house with my wife at 515am. Picked up a friend then got to the race around 550a. Walked to the event area and just hung out for about 1hr. Stood in line for the bathroom for about 30mi. Found a few people I knew from work and chatted until race time. They had us (supposedly) line up according to what pace your wanted to run at so we were all packed in a huge line about 1/2mi long.
Event warmup:

Just did some light stretching. Since I had never done this kind of distance, my goal was to start slow and see how I was feeling and then increase the speed later if I felt ok.
Run
  • 2h 16m 57s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 27s  min/mile
Comments:

Race started about 10min late. I lined up in the 2hr 15min pace group so we were way far back. We heard the gun (or noise - so far back we couldn't tell exactly what it was!) go off and saw people in the front take off running. It feels weird to know the race is starting but you are not even moving because of so many people in front of you. Slowly the pack started walking forward and it took us 12min to get up to the start line and finally begin running.

There were so many people that finding a pace at the beginning was really tough. It was very annoying that so many people don't care and just line up where ever b/c there were people walking right out of the gate (I don't mind the walkers, I just wish they would line up towards the back). It made it tough for a lot of people as we were having to dodge in and around all the runners and slower people. I think the first mile marker was a little off b/c when my wife and I got there it was showing 13min. I knew we were not going that slow, but my wife freaked out and sped up a lot. She is small and can dart in between people that I just can't fit between! I ended up losing her before mile 2. I never saw her again until the finish. So...I ended up running this alone, but it was nice and I really got into a good groove. I spent the run just in my own zone and just thought about a lot of different things and really battled myself mentally towards the end, but I'll get to that.

Anyway, come mile marker 2 I was back at normal time (22min). At this point, I decided to stay at this pace (11min/mi) b/c I wanted to make sure I could finish. The weather was nice...cool, but not cold. I wore just the right apparel. They had water stops at every mile and had like 40 some odd local bands playing along the entire route. The entire route (and I mean the entire route) was lined with people. It was amazing and really helped you stay motivated.

The water stops were a pain at first until I figured out a way to deal with the idiots (I mean fellow runners) :). I was running on the right side of the road to begin with (since I was slower I thought I would stay to the right, right?) but come the first water stop I was about bowled over several times. The water stops were on the right side of the road and there was a mad dash by people to get to the water. So as I was running straight, a lot of people were darting all the way across the road from the left. Needless to say it was a big mess and after doing this the first 2 stops I finally learned to run on the far left to avoid any major collisions. I also realized the water stops were very long, so once I started getting water (at mile 4) I would stay to the left then dart to the right at the very last possible moment and grab a water from end of the water line), and this kept me out of danger.

So, I continued to chug along and decided that starting after mile 8 I would begin to speed up. My first 8 miles I avg'd around a 10:55 pace. I felt good so I did mile 9 at 10:39, mile 10 at 10:05, mile 11 at 9:06, mile 12 at 9:10, and mile 13 at 9:31, and then another 51sec for the last 1/10mi.

My feet were burning, but I ended up with ZERO blisters!!! If anyone needs any sock recommendations then let me know, the new socks have been great. Around 2mi left, I started to get some stomach cramps but fought through it. Around 1mi left I could feel my calves tightening up. This really scared me b/c I was afraid of what would happen if they fully cramped up. But I kept moving and they never did. We had the biggest hill of the course at mile 12, but I just lowered my head and chugged up it. I finished the run without stopping the entire time and finished within 2min of the pace I was trying to keep. Doing the 11min pace early slowed me down but I think I made up for it the last few miles by running near a 9min pace. I only counted about 2-3 people that passed me in the last 5k of the race and I was passing a lot of people. That actually also helped me stay motivated.

I did have one close call, and ended up with a big cut in my left arm. It was around mile 11 and I was running my 9min pace and passing a lot of people. Well, there were still a lot of people walking and they were spread out all across the road forming these human road blocks. I had to squeeze and dart all over the place to get through. Anyway, I was trying to run on the left edge of the road to stay out of the way but one girl was walking about 2-3ft away from this left edge and we were coming up to an intersection. Well, she decided to look to her right and start talking to someone as I was coming up on her left to pass her. Well she then drifted left while talking and this forced me to go out wider to avoid her...unfortunately the police had a large barricade on the left edge of the road right where I was trying to pass this girl. So she basically forced me off the road and my left arm near the shoulder struck a screw sticking out of this barricade and cut my arm. I didn't realize it had cut me, but heard ripping. I thought it was just my shirt but I looked and it was not torn so I didn't think anything else of it. The area was a little sore but figured nothing happened. Didn't realize until later after my shower, my wife asked what happened to my arm...I looked at it and had the cut. Oh well. I just wish people would be more aware of their surroundings when in big groups like that.

That was my exciting race!
What would you do differently?:

Probably train more than the 5 weeks I put into this!! :) Would like to do more and run them faster.
Post race
Warm down:

My legs stiffened up pretty quickly, and they had us herded into these lines to pick up our after race awards and shirts. About 10min later, I was finally able to stretch. Had some water, powerade, and some hot chicken noodle soup (never thought that would taste so great after a run - but it was!). It was now about 10:30a and we left as quick as we could so I could get home and go to bed. Got to bed around 11:45a, slept til 3:15p, then got up and went to work. Got to bed last night around 12:30a and slept for 11hrs!!!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training

Event comments:

Great race, great atmosphere, and a nice course. Would do it again!

Last updated: 2008-12-15 12:00 AM
Running
02:16:57 | 13.1 miles | 10m 27s  min/mile
Age Group: 362/516
Overall: 3775/6959
Performance: Good
Course: It was actually a very nice course. There were some rolling hills but nothing too bad at all. I live/train in a very hilly area so I was very comfortable with the course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-02-16 4:42 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Subject: Austin Half Marathon

2009-02-16 9:08 PM
in reply to: #1965092

User image

Elite
In The Peleton
Subject: RE: Austin Half Marathon
Congrats on your first half mary!  Impressive that you did it on no sleep at all!
2009-02-16 9:24 PM
in reply to: #1965543

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Thanks!  I think I was running on adrenaline!
2009-02-16 9:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

No sleep!!! Are you mad?? Imagine your next race if you can actually get some sleep the night before and train for more than 5 weeks - you will kick some butt I just know it.

You didn't say how your wife went? Did she kick your butt?

What the hell is it with walkers??? Don't they know they are not a thier early morning stroll with friends??? How frustrating for you.

Paris has something like 37,000 people signed up just for the marathon ie: no half marathon or 10k etc run at the same time. I could still be waiting to start at lunch time

When is your next half scheduled for or are you going to join in "the big one" and do a full marathon??

2009-02-17 12:11 AM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX

Michelle, thanks!  My wife did awesome...beat me by 5.5min.  I am so proud of her.  I knew she would run fast since she has been training for months.  I told her to not let me slow her down and to run the best she could...and she did!

37000 people...holy cow!  Ours was around 11000.  I hope the streets in paris are wider than ours cuz it was jam packed! 

There is one more marathon and half scheduled in April in the area but is the last until the fall.  I really don't have the desire to do the full one, but would like to do another half and try to get under 2hrs.  

2009-02-17 9:10 AM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
Very imporessive Tim! I am so ready to race again myself. I am definately putting a Half on my list this year!

2009-02-17 8:09 PM

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio

Ha ha.  Loved that you called the gun going off "the noise."  Really great imagery.  I felt like I was there.

Big, big, big congrats on completing your first half-mary!  That's awesome that there were people all along the entire route.  I totally don't get walkers at these things.  I'm not anti-walker, just pro-simple courtesy.

Congrats again, Tim!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Austin Half Marathon Rss Feed