General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Spring 2009 12-week "No Sugar" challenge Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 26

2009-06-12 10:55 AM
in reply to: #2199545

User image

Veteran
Gainesville
Subject: RE: Spring 2009 12-week "No Sugar" challenge
Cool!  I'm excited to see that people are still posting!  I am also trying to keep up the sugar-free lifestyle!  I stayed sugar free for several days before going to Cold Stone for the ice cream that I had been craving!  It was wonderful, but it also was not hard to stay on track afterward.  I feel like I have broken the habit/cycle of sugar cravings that was such a problem for me before.

In trying to stick to the rules, I have found that it is difficult to find 100% whole wheat bread w/out sugar in the top 3 ingredients, and all of the breads that my husband likes are "illegal".  I have used my husband's bread a few times recently when I ran out of ezekiel bread, but it does make me start to crave carbs, so I really don't want it!

I had ice cream two days in a row last weekend after my big race and found that I didn't even enjoy it that much the second day.  So if I have it less often, I can enjoy it more!  I am trying to stick to one ding per week, so if I want something now, I can put it off, knowing that I can have it on the weekend, if I still want to.  I continue to learn about my body and what works for me.

I feel much more fit and lean after all of these effort.  I had a fantastic race at Mooseman - my fastest swim pace yet, a strong bike, my fastest 10K yet, and a sub-3hour race for my first Olympic length triathlon.  None of that would have happened if I had not been eating clean and whole foods, and if I had not lost weight.  That is good motivation to keep it up!

Keep up the good work everyone!  It sounds like you guys are still doing great!

2009-06-12 2:50 PM
in reply to: #2213308

User image

Master
Almost Canada, WA
carteroak - 2009-06-12 5:55 AM Cool!  I'm excited to see that people are still posting!  I am also trying to keep up the sugar-free lifestyle!  I stayed sugar free for several days before going to Cold Stone for the ice cream that I had been craving!  It was wonderful, but it also was not hard to stay on track afterward.  I feel like I have broken the habit/cycle of sugar cravings that was such a problem for me before.

In trying to stick to the rules, I have found that it is difficult to find 100% whole wheat bread w/out sugar in the top 3 ingredients, and all of the breads that my husband likes are "illegal".  I have used my husband's bread a few times recently when I ran out of ezekiel bread, but it does make me start to crave carbs, so I really don't want it!

I had ice cream two days in a row last weekend after my big race and found that I didn't even enjoy it that much the second day.  So if I have it less often, I can enjoy it more!  I am trying to stick to one ding per week, so if I want something now, I can put it off, knowing that I can have it on the weekend, if I still want to.  I continue to learn about my body and what works for me.

I feel much more fit and lean after all of these effort.  I had a fantastic race at Mooseman - my fastest swim pace yet, a strong bike, my fastest 10K yet, and a sub-3hour race for my first Olympic length triathlon.  None of that would have happened if I had not been eating clean and whole foods, and if I had not lost weight.  That is good motivation to keep it up!

Hey Karla, if you can find it in your store I ALWAYS buy Roman Meal Round Top whole wheat bread.  It's the only one I've found where the sugars are NOT in the top 3 ingredients and even got my BIL to say (out loud) that he liked it and he is, hands down, the worlds pickiest eater.  He's the type that won't eat something just because he thinks it tastes bad so if it's not steak, potatoes or fried (read: unhealthy)...forget it!!
Anyway, that is awesome you did so well on your first Oly ~ CONGRATS!!!  I totally agree that this no sugar thing was the best thing I could have done for myself and am glad that you all still pop in here from time to time also!
2009-06-13 9:32 AM
in reply to: #2213308

User image

Expert
searching for the elusive runner's high!
carteroak - 2009-06-12 11:55 AM

Cool!  I'm excited to see that people are still posting!  I am also trying to keep up the sugar-free lifestyle!  I stayed sugar free for several days before going to Cold Stone for the ice cream that I had been craving!  It was wonderful, but it also was not hard to stay on track afterward.  I feel like I have broken the habit/cycle of sugar cravings that was such a problem for me before.

AWESOME job on your race!! We eat Arnold bread and I think it is the Healthy Nut or Oat Nut that does not have sugar in the top three ingredients. I like the ezekiel bread but it costs too much for me to buy on a regular basis...with a family of four it is easier to find the next best thing. It sounds like you are doing great and as long as you can put that "ding" off a few days, you also are able to control your cravings. Good job and keep it up!
2009-06-14 12:41 PM
in reply to: #1966763

User image

Veteran
Gainesville
Thanks for the tips!  I will look for Roman Meal Round Top and Arnold's next time I shop for bread.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Spring 2009 12-week "No Sugar" challenge Rss Feed  

of 26