General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sprained ankle-What are your plans Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-02-17 6:56 PM

User image

Expert
Alpharetta (until we find a home)
Subject: Sprained ankle-What are your plans
Finally had a day that wasnt so mucky and above freezing  so went on a trail run. Hit a root and sprained the ankle pretty good. Walked back to the car and have done the RICE thing. I havent had a sprained ankle in awhile. I am going to take wed off. I plan on swimming thursday and friday. I'm then going to hop on the trainer this weekend to check tenderness. I think I will avoid running for at least 7 days.  It is Feb and I dont plan on racing anything until first week of March. How would you approach the injury?

2009-02-18 6:18 AM
in reply to: #1967246

Veteran
Subject: RE: Sprained ankle-What are your plans

I did a similar thing in September last year. I'd been training for four months for my second ever sprint tri, and sprained my ankle the week before. To say I was upset is an understatement.

Mine was pretty bad - I couldnt' put any weight on it the next day, so went to hospital for an x-ray. It turned out to be just a severe sprain, but it was about 8 weeks before I could run on it again.

I visited the physio after about 4 weeks, and he did various massages on it, and gave me exercises to do to speed up the healing process. I wished I'd gone sooner, as he really helped.

Having said all that, I've heard of people spraining their ankle, and then running again within a week. I guess it depends on the severity. If you are still struggling to put weight on it after a week, I would highly recommend a trip to the physio. And swimming/biking will help the process, as you will be getting the ankle moving again, and getting blood flowing in the area, without putting strain on it (so long as it doesn't hurt when you swim/bike).

Hope this helps.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sprained ankle-What are your plans Rss Feed