General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Slower swim pace drops legs Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-03-10 10:13 AM

User image

Expert
Palm Coast, FL
Subject: Slower swim pace drops legs
Im having a problem where Im trying to slow my pace down in swimming such that I become more comfortable in the water and can swim for longer intervals. However everytime I slow it down I feel like I've come to a standstill and it makes it incredibly hard to keep my legs up so they just drop. I feel like its all or nothing. Full speed ahead or the legs are not cooperating. For instance I swam about 625 meters last night but about the most I can swim at any one time is 100 meters with huffing and puffing for 20 secs and then doing it again. I also think swimming with a friend is perhaps messing me up a little bit because my competitive nature takes over and I need to be more focused on whats best for my training.

Any advice? I plan to pick up the Total Immersion for Triathletes book a little later this month maybe thats the answer.

2004-03-10 10:27 AM
in reply to: #11638

User image

Expert
Iowa
Subject: RE: Slower swim pace drops legs
I believe you might find TI helpful. One of the components of TI is how head position helps body/leg position. Try looking straight down at the bottom of the pool when you swim, not forward or ahead. For example, the strap on your goggles should be perpendicular to the pool botton when you are looking straight down, not angled back, which would indicate that you are looking forward. Your head will feel like it's a bit deeper under the water when you do this, but if you play with head position you will see very quickly how it effects body/leg position. Give it a try.
2004-03-10 10:31 AM

User image

Agreed!

TI is the way to go if you are having boyancy problems. Infact - the first thing you learn is how to stay boyant at a very slow pace.

Keep it up.

LA

2004-03-10 10:46 AM

User image

Regular
North Carolina, USA
Another thing that I have learned is swim like you are swimming downhill. It should seem like your weight is more focused on your torso rather than your legs. This has helped me out. It does the same thing. Puts your head deeper into the water, but that's the way it should be. Another good book to check out is Triathlon 101. That book has some good information for swimming and the whole sport of triathloning in general.

Hope this helps.
2004-03-10 12:47 PM

Veteran
budapest, hungary.
if you are very competitive , its better if you dont train with a partner sometimes.
i'm like that as well ,when ever i see someone next to me i try to bypass him , it just takes me out of my pace and do more dammage then good. ( just in the pool, running with a partner helps me)
2004-03-10 1:12 PM

User image

Expert
Palm Coast, FL
Glad you said that I'ts like some sort of neanderthal takes over my brain and insists I beat this guy from end of the pool to the next. No matter how hard I try to ignore he's over there I just cannot seem to help it. I guess we're just going to have to swim at opposite ends of the pool!

2004-03-10 1:37 PM

User image

Pro
St Charles, IL
I did almost the same thing last night. Was doing a longish swim, with no breaks, so was at a "slow" pace. Guy in the lane next to me was doing 1x50's with 3 minute breaks or something. Was hard to resist the urge to speed up and keep pace with his laps. Just had to buckle down and ignore him. Focusing on stroke count and such gave me other things to keep occupied.

Regarding the keeping head lower in water, I worked on that last night, and did seem to make a difference. I worked on rolling to breath, vs. what I used to do, which was more of a head turn & lift. The whole body roll is easier for long swims. Keeping my head down also helps keep whole body in line, which in turn keeps my legs from dropping, as I also have the "problem" of not floating too well. Seems all this darn exercise has reduced my ability to float.

Most of my previous swimming has been over short distances, so i'm relearning how to swim so that I can cover longer distances/times w/o stopping. Good form has a huge impact on that, as I'm learning now.

-Chris

Edited by coredump 2004-03-10 1:40 PM
2004-03-10 2:08 PM

User image

Expert
Texarkana, TX
The TI drill in particular that has helped me the most is "Under Skate". In this drill, you hold your position nose down in the water while kicking gently. When you get it right, you will feel your hips rise to the surface as your head and chest presses down. I try to imprint that position so that I hit it while I am full stroke swimming. But all this is still very much a work in progress.

I like to count the other swimmer's strokes during my rests. It gives me a little satisfaction to know that, thanks to TI, I can traverse the pool in fewer strokes than most of the other swimmers I see. However, many of them can still go longer than I. One guy is particularly intriguging. He takes about 28 strokes to go a length of the pool, but does so while holding his breath the entire way. Then he gently breast-strokes the way back, and rests for a minute or two. Odd.

2004-03-10 2:19 PM

User image

Expert
Evansville, IN
soupaman,

I agree the TI books, drills, etc.. have a lot of great tips and information. TI has helped me quite a bit. Another thing that has helped my dragging legs while concentrating on other points is using fins. There was a thread about them awhile back. I bought some hydrofinz and they have helped me a lot. Another good brand I've heard is Zoomers. Anyway, considering trying a pair on a doing your next workout with them. I think you'll notice a difference. No expert here, just my own experience.
2004-03-10 2:24 PM

User image

Almere - The Netherlands
Maybe he's training for the 50meters race?
I saw Inge de Bruin do 50 meters without breathing, beating all her oponents.
2004-03-10 2:25 PM

Regular
Ontario
You may want to check into getting a coach for a session or two
Some pools offer the service at a nominal cost to help you with specific form?
Worth looking into.
Best $50 I have spent

2004-03-10 3:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Grand Rapids, MN.
I agree with the looking down and positioning your body more pressed down to make yourself plane in the water better. If you are having trouble breathing for longer periods try cheating by breathing every stroke until your stronger in the water and don't need as much air and then switch back afterwards.
2004-03-10 3:16 PM

Extreme Veteran
Fort Wayne, IN

Hey soupaman,

I feel your pain.  I, several months ago knew one speed.  Fast, or what I thought was fast, or sink!  I couldn't understand as I watched others swim slow how they did it.  I bought the TI book and I used to swim 25 yrds (fast) in 28 strokes, I can't remember how long it took me but I do remember reading somewhere to count your strokes.  Probably the TI website before I bought the book.  Anyway, today I swam slow, yes I do have more than one speed now, and did 25 yrds in 16 strokes and 50 in 32 strokes.  I play swimming golf every once in a while and today was my lowest score, 85 ( 32 strokes and 53 sec's on 50 yards).  I just started this a little while ago so I can't compare my earlier attempts at swimming but I guarantee they wouldn't of been below 100 for a total score, hell I coudn't swim 50 yrds at the time.  So my point is to get a coach, buy the book/video whatever but if done right and with patience you will float. 

The first thing I do when I get in the pool is to find my balance and float on my belly with my arms outstretched.  Just to remind me what I am looking for while swimming.  As for your competitive nature, same problem here even with people I don't know.  But now instead of just beating them I try to just catch them but using the least number of strokes possible.  That way I look like I am just gliding down the pool and they look like the drowning monkey.  It is tough to fight that urge to just swim and not stick with the drills.  I would recommend doing nothing but drills for a month or so.  Your conditioning will come with the drilling.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Slower swim pace drops legs Rss Feed