General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Clipless pedals and my dodgy knee angle... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-02-19 12:24 AM

User image

Regular
Auckland, New Zealand
Subject: Clipless pedals and my dodgy knee angle...
On group rides fellow riders have noticed that my right leg (well actually my knee) sticks out when I ride. My left leg is at a completely normal angle. We were discussing this and wondered whether it was a good idea to change the angle of the cleat on my shoes to try and overcome this problem. If I turn the cleat out a few degrees it will have the effect of turning my knee inwards, which I guess will be more effective in the pedal stroke.

Any experiences with similar problems and ways to overcome it? Thanks!

2009-02-19 1:56 AM
in reply to: #1969861

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho
Subject: RE: Clipless pedals and my dodgy knee angle...

Gary, I'm by no means an expert, but first I would find out if your knee is sticking out because of the angle of your pedal cleat or in spite of the pedal cleat.  I would be careful trying to adjust your cleat angles based soley on 'appearance'.  However, if you experiencing some knee pain, perhaps an adjustment is in order.   I don't have any knee issues, but I like to have my Look-style cleats adjusted so my natural pedal stroke is right in the middle of the pedals 'float' range.   A pedal with a lot of float i.e. Speedplays or Crank Bros. may benefit someone with a more significant knee issues.  Good Luck

2009-02-19 3:30 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
This usually comes from two causes, or it could be both.

Either you have one leg longer than the other (which is much more common than you might think). In this case, you right leg might be slightly longer than your left, which means that the knee can't track staight, but is forced out. The solution to this is to put shims under the short leg (in your case, your left) to compensate for the difference and then raise the saddle so both knees track perfect.

Or, and probably most common, you have a much tighter left leg than right. When you stretch your hamstrings, do you reach further when stretching your right leg then the left? Best way to check this is to standing up cross your legs and reach for you toes (the leg that is behind is the one you stretch).

Changing the angle of the cleat will not do you any good...

2009-02-19 6:48 AM

User image

Master
Your knee(s) sticking out will also cause drag and reduce your aerodynamics. I have shimmed both my shoes in slightly to keep my knees tighter to the top tube.

2009-02-19 6:51 AM

User image

Master
Ohio

Does this happen just when you're in aero position, or all the time? My knees tend to splay outward while I'm in areo due to my tummy being to large. This off season I've really tried to concrentrate on keeping my knees stright or slightly inward when I pedal in aero, no adjusting of the cleats necessary in my case.

2009-02-19 8:53 AM

User image

Champion
MA
I'm interested in this...our 14 year old daughter who does tris has similar issue. But she bikes with her knee same position/movement as she runs in a relative manner. I figured it was just her body is unique issue.

2009-02-19 12:38 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, New Zealand
Thanks for the advice guys - I will do some more investigation including checking whether I have more tightness on one side than the other. Just in thinking about it, it could be something along those lines - I did have an accident years ago falling off a house onto a plank of wood where I landed hard on my right leg, and limped for a long time - so could be unconsciuously favoring that leg still? Maybe I can stretch more to compensate.

It is mostly while I am in aero position, but has been noticed when I am up as well. When the guys behind yell 'knees!" to me they notice me pull it in straight away and it causes me no pain or discomfort to do so, it is just that it naturally goes back out by about an inch or so when I forget about it.

Good advice all round, thanks.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Clipless pedals and my dodgy knee angle... Rss Feed