General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running with a dog question. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-03-21 4:46 PM

Subject: Running with a dog question.
Hello Everyone,

I know that this isn't a dog website, but I know how many of you have dogs and so I thought you might be able to answer a question I have. My husband and I took our two dogs for a 30 minute run on Saturday on a concrete trail. We have done this multiple times and didn't notice anything wrong but this time both dog's paws were bleeding. We felt terrible and are now running them only on the grass next to the trail. We think they might have been hurting this time because of dry paws. Does anybody know anything else about this or why it would happen now? Does anybody use the doggie shoes? Any advice would help.

Vera

2005-03-21 7:10 PM
in reply to: #132451

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2005-03-21 7:31 PM

Master
Harvard, Illinois
Subject: RE: Running with a dog question.
I would keep your dogs off of the concrete or any hard surface. You can damage their joints fairly easily. Run them on grass or any other soft surface and your dogs will have a great time.

Mike
2005-03-21 7:56 PM

I have had this happen before. My Pit is so tolerant to pain I smooth ran all the pads off her feet playing around one day. I felt so bad but we didnt see the blood until after we were done playing around and she didnt start to limp until afterwords. Long story short I had to carry her outside for over a week so she could use the bathroom and then carry her back inside and put her back on the couch. Just put some neosporin on them and they will be fine. No vet trip needed unless they get infected but as long as you keep them clean they will be fine. As far as running on concrete, like anything else moderation is key. Although, make the trips shorter and check pads regularly since you have had problems.
2005-03-21 8:08 PM

Expert
Alabama
I always try to let my dog run on the grass while I run on the edge of the road. My other option is that I live close to the beach, so I do alot of running on the beach.
2005-03-22 8:32 AM

Veteran
Cleveland, OH
I run my dog on the concrete sidewalks and have not had a problem. However, this may be b/c our distances are relatively short. 3-4 miles at a time. This is a good thread and I'll be more aware of his feet when we start doing more mileage. Thanks, you may have saved my buddy from some pain and me some heartache.

HD

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running with a dog question. Rss Feed