General Discussion Triathlon Talk » transition equipment question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-02-21 8:14 AM

Subject: transition equipment question
I came from the biking world to the tri world about two years ago. At one of my races I noticed that somebody had rubberbanded the back of their bike shoes so that they would stay up and he could just go from coming out of the water straight to the bike and get his feet in his bike shoes once on the bike. Can somebody explain to me how he did this or how I can do it. If you have pictures that would be great too.

2009-02-21 9:18 AM
in reply to: #1974462

User image

New user
Kansas City Metro
Subject: RE: transition equipment question
If your shoes have a heel tab, thread the rubberband through the hole and tie around the loop and attach the other end of the rubberband around the rear QR skewer.  It keeps the shoe upright and helps with quick bike mounts so that you don't have to fook around with getting on top of your shoes.
2009-02-21 1:42 PM
in reply to: #1974529

Regular
Hamilton
if your shoes don't have a heel tab you can loop the elastic right over your shoe so it comes down and holds your cleat/pedal contact (is some ways a better method as it won't snap and catch bare skin and it isn't flopping around your ankle while you race)..then, the above poster mentioned..if it's the drive side..put your right pedal at the 9 o'clock position (if you're facing the drive side) and then attach the elastic to your skewer..or rear derailleur. Very handy for keeping your shoes from popping out the the pedals on the way out of transition. You can do the same with the other side at the same time..pedal in the 9 facing that side..and have the elastic looped over the bolted end of your crank arm.
2009-02-23 9:22 AM
in reply to: #1974462

User image

Regular
St. John's Newfoundland
My shoes don't have a heel tab, so I use a piece of duct tape to keep the first loop of rubber band in place, Red Green Style. Also make sure the shoes are opened up and the tounge of the shoe pulled up and the strap is loose. Powder is also a good idea.

If you try this, Practice before hand. You don't want the first time to be in a race with a dozen bikes coming up behind you.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » transition equipment question Rss Feed