United States
UCSD
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 15m 11s
Overall Rank = 180/349
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 14/33
Pre-race routine:

Let me start by saying that I've been sick all week and that I haven't really trained for the swim at all since November. Some here and there, but I've been a big baby about the blisteringly cold winter here in Southern California (that's a joke). It has been somewhat cold, but I understand that's relative. Regardless, it has kept me out of the pool for too long I was really nervous about the swim today.

Got up at 4:30, made coffee for the road and left just before 5:00am Got to the race early, and it was dark and cold. With my sore throat, I was going to make a decision about whether or not to race once I got down there. Racked my bike and headed down to the water to check the temp. It actually felt quite warm, so that was encouraging ... put my wetsuit on and decided I'd race.

I'd made the mistake in the past of drinking WAY too much coffee before a race, so I kept it to one cup (a big commuter mug full, but still just one). No food before the race, but I ate a big hamburger and fries from Chili's last night, something I haven't done in over a year, and felt good. Probably smart, as I don't do well on a full stomach.

This was a race put on by the UCSD triathlon club, so there were a ton of other collegiate clubs there from the West Coast ... Stanford, UCLA, Cal Poly, UCI, etc. Very cool, but also very intimidating to see an overwhelming majority of 20 year old in the best shape of their lives :)

Being put on by a bunch of college kids, this was not the most professional event I've attended, but it did add to the charm. More on that later ...

Transition area was kind of a mess. No AG designations so it was a free for all, and the area itself was on a slight decline, and it soon turned into mud once the first few waves ran through it after the swim. Also, they didn't do anything to keep non-racers out, so there were lots of friends and family milling around. Didn't like that at all.
Event warmup:

Before the swim, I got in to get my face wet and get used to the water. Swam maybe 100 yards and felt good to go. Air temp outside was colder than the water, so I spent some time wading around.
Swim
  • 08m 25s
  • 500 yards
  • 01m 41s / 100 yards
Comments:

Water was as calm as can be in Mission Bay. In my previous races (only two of them), I killed myself on the swim. To much nervous energy, I guess, and I spent everything in the first 100 yards, making the rest of the swim a combination of horrible breathing, occasional breast strokes and just a bad vibe.

I had met some friends before the race, and they had brought a few first-timers. My only advice to them was to sit back once the gun went off to avoid the chaos of the swim start, and to just relax and find their stroke. Don't worry about charging into it ...

I followed my own advice and simply had a great swim. Felt good all the way, good sighting, no overdoing it, no hyperventilating, just good. I passed a bunch of people that shot out before me once I found my stroke and actually had a good time.
What would you do differently?:

I probably should have trained more, but I don't think I lost any speed.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Not a great transition. Not bad, but not great. Took some time getting the wetsuit off of my heels, but again, not overall terrible.
Bike
  • 38m 50s
  • 12.51 miles
  • 19.33 mile/hr
Comments:

A flat and fun course. Passed a bunch of people, got passed by a bunch of collegiates on very expensive bikes :) Smooth and flat, a nice bike route. Used my aero bars for the first time in a race and I loved it! Cold after the swim, but I warmed up after the first loop.

Nothing.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Only comment here is that after getting off my bike, my feet were absolutely numb. Cold water, cold air and a ride do not equal fun!:) Really took over a mile on the run to get most of the feeling back!

Nothing.
Run
  • 27m 56s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

Only problem here was that I couldn't feel my feet for a mile or so. Felt strong throughout and kept a nice pace. Had to sit down at the turnaround to see if there was a rock in my shoe ... nope, just some lingering numbness.

Train harder for short distance speed.
Post race
Warm down:

Fruit and water, walking around the post race area.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Cold feet (literally) after the bike.

Event comments:

This was a fun race, though definitely done by college students. No race chips, somewhat flakey (but nice) volunteers, no sponsor tents for after the race. But it was good! They had a fun and creative raffle for a ton of nice gear gifts that really got the crowd going for a good hour after the race ... "Who has the lowest GPA? Okay, you win a wetsuit!" "First person to swim across the bay, run out and touch that tree over there and get back, you win a wetsuit!" Goofy, but fun. Really a great vibe and I would do it again.

Last updated: 2008-12-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:25 | 500 yards | 01m 41s / 100yards
Age Group: 10/33
Overall: 0/349
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Course was a short out, across and in.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:38:50 | 12.51 miles | 19.33 mile/hr
Age Group: 12/33
Wind: None
Course: Flat, flat, flat! # loops around fiesta island, one very short and very minor incline, one or two slightly technical turns, but nothing too hard. A fast course.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:27:56 | 03.1 miles | 09m 01s  min/mile
Age Group: 13/33
Course: Mostly flat, with a choice of running on pavement or on the packed sand right next to it. A couple of places where you had to run off road. Half distance out, half back.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-02-21 4:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carlsbad, CA
Subject: Tritonman UCSD Sprint

2009-02-21 4:53 PM
in reply to: #1974947

User image

Master
San Diego, CA
Subject: RE: Tritonman UCSD Sprint

Well done. I had the same problem with my feet being numb on the bike and run. I felt like I was running on stumps.

I'd do this race again.

2009-02-21 11:51 PM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Good job, Morgan...really glad you were able to race after being sick this week! Congrats!
2009-02-23 10:38 AM

User image

Master
Vista, CA
Nice RR and nice race! Good thing you're easy going. I know some really type A's that would have let the disorganization upset them. Glad the water wasn't a deterrent. You're a swimmer from way back, right? That swim form never leaves you. Good job. What's next?
2009-02-25 11:19 AM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV

Great job on your race also.  Got my splits from my HR monitor that I hit the lap button.

Great job, and see you out there next year. I will be faster hopefully, and be on the lookout for you too bro!

2009-03-03 10:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Good job on the race, Morgan. Really impressive the way you toughed it out after being sick!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tritonman UCSD Sprint Rss Feed