General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cleat positioning Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-02-21 6:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Cleat positioning
So whats the deal with the burning on the bottom of the foot during a ride?  I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the cleat positioning.  Could it actually cause injury or is it just annoying?  And how can I fix it without messing up my fit?  Thanks!

2009-02-21 8:26 PM
in reply to: #1975024

User image

Elite
Preferably on my bike somewhere
Subject: RE: Cleat positioning
SeminoleTriathlete - 2009-02-21 7:08 PM

So whats the deal with the burning on the bottom of the foot during a ride?  I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the cleat positioning.  Could it actually cause injury or is it just annoying?  And how can I fix it without messing up my fit?  Thanks!

Ooo, I had the same problem. Fixing it was fairly simple. What I did was pay real close attention to where the burning sensation was, and relocated the cleat. I found by locating the cleat to directly UNDER the burning, I made it go away. It's hard to mess us a "fit" with your cleats - they are really only minor adjustments. That's my $.02.
2009-02-22 12:50 PM
in reply to: #1975024

Master
portland, or
What brand of cleats and shoes are you using?

I don't agree with the sentiment that cleat adjustment has a "minor" affect on bike fit. You only five contact points with a bike. Your right and left foot make up two of those and are the only points that are in constant contact.

Improper cleat positioning can be the cause of knee, ITB, hip and lower leg pain. It can also affect your power output.

scott
2009-02-22 5:39 PM
in reply to: #1975754

User image

Veteran

yaqui - 2009-02-22 1:50 PM What brand of cleats and shoes are you using? I don't agree with the sentiment that cleat adjustment has a "minor" affect on bike fit. You only five contact points with a bike. Your right and left foot make up two of those and are the only points that are in constant contact. Improper cleat positioning can be the cause of knee, ITB, hip and lower leg pain. It can also affect your power output. scott

To put it nicely, I don't have the best pedal system for racing.  I have Forte cleats, shoes, and pedals.  They are SPD.  I bought them before I decided to start racing.  I've talked to other people who are knowledgeable about this stuff, and they've never even heard of that brand, Forte.   

2009-02-22 6:58 PM
in reply to: #1976006

Master
portland, or
SPD pedals are notorious for hot spots. Combine them with shoes that likely don't have a very stiff sole and you're asking for problems on longer rides.

Personally this is an area where I wouldn't skimp on quality. But shop around and you can find some good deals on shoes and pedal systems that will be an upgrade to what you're currently using, and will likely eliminate the hot spots.

Pedal systems get significantly more expensive as they get lighter. The benefit of titanium spindles over stainless or cro-moly is marginal. Regarding shoes I suggest a carbon sole, but there are some non-carbon sole shoes that are pretty good. Again the price goes up exponentially as the weight of the shoe goes down. The buckle/bindng system also affects the cost of a shoe.

scott
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cleat positioning Rss Feed