General Discussion Triathlon Talk » for the north group Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-02-22 8:18 PM

Elite
Laurium, MI
Subject: for the north group

I'm thinking about organizing (or starting the ball rolling) a regular sunday breakfast ride starting in the Broomfield/Superior/Lousiville area.

When I was living in Indiana, we did a 'casual' 40ish mile ride every saturday morning where we rode 10 miles to a small diner, had breakfast, then rode 30 more.  The ride was a ton of fun, with riders of all sorts of abilites.

I'd like to try and get something like this going, but I'm new to the area and don't know the good routes or the small towns where we could grab food.

Does this sound interesting to anyone else?  It probably wouldn't start for another few weeks (weather dependant), but it would be nice to have a route mapped out.

For a starting place, any of the open spaces would work well.  I'm thinking the one on sheridan just north of Midway, possibly even the Broomfield Rec center parking lot.

2009-02-22 10:26 PM
in reply to: #1976285

User image

Lafayette, CO
Subject: RE: for the north group
I would be interested after ski season on occasion.  I'm actually in South Denver but I have lots of family and friends in that area and it might convince me to come up more often. 
2009-02-23 8:30 AM

User image

Expert
I'm definitely interested. I tried to do this several months ago but no biters. I think there may be more interest now though and people are ramping up their training instead of ramping down.

I'd actually be more interested if we didn't stop for food. I have three young children at home so any time away needs to be productive. That said we could end the ride at a diner and I could just take off and go home.

I'm not very familiar with the roads around Broomfield but I know the roads pretty well riding north of Louisville and Lafayette. The roads are fairly flat with a few rollers (Lookout Rd or Hwy 36 north of Boulder) so they are good for a group ride as people are unlikely to get dropped on hills. We can add Lee Hill/Old Stage/ and Left hand canyon once a month though for hte climbers.

Let's get riding!
2009-02-23 9:03 AM

User image

Expert
Denver Area

GREAT IDEA!!  I'm totally up for it, I don't know the area much though.  COgirl knows some.   

I heard that Louisville Cyclery does a Sat or Sun ride, has anyone done this? 

Anyway, just a bit of lead time and the wheres, I'll be there.

2009-02-23 9:23 AM
in reply to: #1976851

User image

Expert
AdaBug - 2009-02-23 8:03 AM

GREAT IDEA!!  I'm totally up for it, I don't know the area much though.  COgirl knows some.   

I heard that Louisville Cyclery does a Sat or Sun ride, has anyone done this? 

Anyway, just a bit of lead time and the wheres, I'll be there.

I have not done the Louisvlle Cyclery ride but they scare me just watching them. They are all over the road and spread out for at least a mile. It just doesn't seem very safe to ride in a group that way. Maybe others who actually have experience with them can tell me differently. I hope so.

I come from a very dicsiplined group ride in Georgia and expect a nice orderly paceline. Eveyrone rides faster this way anyway so it just makes since. The surging and waiting I see around just burns the slower people up and causes resentment from the fast people when they have to wait.
2009-02-23 10:06 AM
in reply to: #1976890

Elite
Laurium, MI

I've been meaning to ride with them, but I don't have my legs under me yet and don't like getting dropped, so I haven't.

That's actually what made having breakfast 10 miles in so nice.  The ride would splinter into the fast group and the slow group within the first few miles; the fast group (and those chasing) would kill temselves before breakfast, then we would all regroup, eat and head back out.  After breakfast, those who weren't quite ready for 40 miles would take a shorter 5 mile route back, while everyone else was too full to pull stupid stuff.  Once warmed back up a little, there would always be a few attacks, but there would always be a group left together... it was the faster riders goofing around that would end up strung out.  We would also regularly have 20+ riders, so you were pretty much guarenteed to be riding with at least 4 other people of your ability (or willing to go your pace).

Indiana actually has a group called the Central Indiana Bicycling Association (CIBA) that was a non-profit pro-bike group that provided an easy foundation for organizing rides like this.  You paid some nominal yearly membership fee, and they provided webspace to promote the ride, waivers, etc.  Does colorado have a body similar to this?

Edited by vortmax 2009-02-23 10:10 AM

2009-02-23 2:49 PM
in reply to: #1976890

User image

Veteran
Golden, CO
but they scare me just watching them. They are all over the road and spread out for at least a mile. It just doesn't seem very safe to ride in a group that way.

And that pretty much sums up any ride over 5 riders that I have ever been on.

Hence, the lonely triathlete.

I much prefer the 2-5 group of like minded individuals.
2009-02-23 3:50 PM
in reply to: #1977702

User image

Expert
bvfrompc - 2009-02-23 1:49 PM

but they scare me just watching them. They are all over the road and spread out for at least a mile. It just doesn't seem very safe to ride in a group that way.

And that pretty much sums up any ride over 5 riders that I have ever been on.

Hence, the lonely triathlete.

I much prefer the 2-5 group of like minded individuals.

The group I rode with in Georiga was very organized with identified ride leaders who ENFORCED ride rules. If you couldn't follow the rules you were not invited back. What evolved from such strict rules was a group of experienced riders pulling the less experienced riders and making everyone better. It was awesome. A well-trained group of 10-20 riders working together can fly....I learned to ride with them. It would be nice to see a disciplined ride develop in Colorado and maybe it exists (I'm still really new here) but from what I see watching groups ride is a dangerous messy pack of wasted energy spread out all over the road. I understand the need to kill each other (male bonding, etc.) but does every ride have to be that way. It is a beautiful efficient sight being passed by the Garmin-Chiptole boys.

I actually should save my judgment until I've ridden with a few of the larger groups but from what I have seen (and only seen not experienced), it just looks unorganized. Until then...I'm with you...the lonely triathlete.
2009-02-23 4:29 PM

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN
Sounds like we may already have 4-5+ like minded peeps ready to play! I live downtown, but I'd love to find some smaller pacelines in the area. I've ridden in some large pacelines out in Boulder. It's no wonder they've been cracking down on large group rides out there. Not alot of organization. Inconsistent speeds (gotta love surgers). A properly managed 6-10 person line can be just as fun and efficient as a 100 person line, and potentially safer. Not sure what pace you all are targeting, but I would be willing to make the trek out West to tag up.
2009-02-23 5:05 PM

User image

Lafayette, CO
I'll readily admit that  I have never ridden in a well organized pace line so it would be a bit of a learning experience. I know the rules on paper but riding it is a whole other thing.  The only group rides I've done are pretty beginner level but I'm feeling more ready to move into a more organized ride after a winter of trainer rides.  And I'm not afraid to drop off and finish alone if I just can't keep up as well.  So, if you'd have a pace line newbie I'd love to join you.  I am done coaching at the end of March so may start having some Saturdays available after then. 
2009-02-23 9:17 PM

User image

Expert
Denver Area

What with the 'pace line' talk and what not, I think y'all should gimme something to look at 'rules' wise before I make an outta myself.  Gotta link? 

And dittos for me too,COskigirl, re: drop off if I can't keep up.

Edited by AdaBug 2009-02-23 9:18 PM

2009-02-24 8:33 AM

User image

Expert
That is what is great about group rides in my opinion...no one gets dropped. The whole group rides faster this way and the stronger riders just do more of the work. Once you learn to find the draft, pacelines are a great way to improve your cycling. CO Outdoors pulls my A$$ most of the time (okay Brad...all of the time) I ride with him but I'm getting stronger too. Part of the "rules" to group rides in my mind is being willing to slow down for your fellow riders and encourage/help them to ride faster. We ALL have bad days and need a wheel to suck on. Here are the Frazier cycling rules I'm used to...note that there are some rides or points in a ride even that a surgue or sprinting is encouraged but the point is to get everyone from A to B as fast as the group can go.

http://www.fraziercycling.com/fcsite/index2.php?pg=partner_rule_boo...

I agree with COOUTDOORS...sounds like some pacelines are forming...he just needs to pull us along at 25 mph!
2009-02-24 9:56 AM
in reply to: #1978304

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN
AdaBug - 2009-02-23 8:17 PM

What with the 'pace line' talk and what not, I think y'all should gimme something to look at 'rules' wise before I make an outta myself.  Gotta link? 

And dittos for me too,COskigirl, re: drop off if I can't keep up.

Like any organization, each group or ride may have it's own rules or etiquette. When linking up w/ a group, the best thing you can do prior to joining is talk to a couple of the riders, or if you can identify a leader, talk to him or her. They can usually clue you in on the type of ride you're about to experience, such as pacing, drop rules, pull expectations, etc. If you're not sure, best bet is to link up in the back and watch how the group operates for a bit. If you don't feel strong, let riders dropping off slot in front of you (note: if you start creeping up, there will likely be an expectation you'll need to pull the line, so watch your position).

In short:
- Set/Understand protocol up front
- It's not a race
- No sudden movements
- Even pacing (unless ride setup includes point-to-point breaks)
- No sudden movements (ya, that important)
- Tight spacing
- Have fun

Group Ride Etiquette

Unfortunately, there's more and more flack coming down on side-by-side group riding. This is mostly due to poorly managed and inconsiderate group riding that's occurred lately. Regardless of the ride setup, just sharing the road w/ other cyclists makes the ride potentially faster and more entertaining.

70 degrees and sunny today! {hint hint}

Edited by cooutdoors 2009-02-24 9:59 AM
2009-02-24 9:58 AM
in reply to: #1978746

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN
cayrip - 2009-02-24 7:33 AM

I agree with COOUTDOORS...sounds like some pacelines are forming...he just needs to pull us along at 25 mph!

Haha...downhill and with the wind at our back...YOU'RE ON!
2009-02-24 10:22 AM

Elite
Laurium, MI

Riding in a pace line is much easier then a lot of people think.  If you can hold a line, you can pace line.  The biggest 'skill' involved is trusting your fellow riders to not do anything stupid, and getting over the 'panic' of riding that close to someone.  Really single file is easier to learn, as you are only really worried about one rider ahead of you.  Side by side takes a little getting used to, especially the first time someone comes in really tight.

We should have a riding skills 'clinic' today.  Lets all ditch work.  I'm game

cooutdoors - 2009-02-24 10:58 AM
cayrip - 2009-02-24 7:33 AM I agree with COOUTDOORS...sounds like some pacelines are forming...he just needs to pull us along at 25 mph!
Haha...downhill and with the wind at our back...YOU'RE ON!

25 mph in an organized rotating pace line really isn't that hard.  I'd say it's about the same effort as holding 20-21 solo.  You'd actually be surprised how fast a good group can move and how little energy it takes.

Edited by vortmax 2009-02-24 10:24 AM
2009-02-24 10:22 AM
in reply to: #1978977

User image

Expert
cooutdoors - 2009-02-24 8:56 AM

Bike's at home today or I'd take you up on the offer. Trainer ride planned tonight in the garage with a friend after SO gets home from swim workout and kids are asleep. Good music and brutal intervals go hand in hand. You are welcome to join us.

2009-02-24 10:26 AM
in reply to: #1979051

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN
cayrip - 2009-02-24 9:22 AM

cooutdoors - 2009-02-24 8:56 AM

Bike's at home today or I'd take you up on the offer. Trainer ride planned tonight in the garage with a friend after SO gets home from swim workout and kids are asleep. Good music and brutal intervals go hand in hand. You are welcome to join us.

Seriously. Quit your job. Your priorities are all out-of-whack
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » for the north group Rss Feed