United States
45F / 7C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 35m 33s
Overall Rank = 30/120
Age Group = Male 35-39
Age Group Rank = 4/9
Pre-race routine:

I grabbed my stuff and headed out the door close to 6:00 AM. I arrived at the UF campus shortly after and just chilled in the car and got ready. I ran into a friend of mine, Angel Cuesta, who was doing the half. We finished getting ready and walked to the startline about half a mile away.
Event warmup:

Walking to the start.
Run
  • 3h 35m 33s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 08m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

The goal on October 19th, 2008 when I started training for this race was to attempt to qualify for Boston. Nothing else. My training went well throughout the 18 week program. After my last long run, a 20 miler, during my first of three taper weeks, I was laid out for a week due to a flu/cold/fever thing that just lingered. No running for eight days. It has lingered even until today as I write this race report. When I finally got back to running I just did not have the snap in the legs or the breathing/HR under control.
So, enough of the excuses, I just wanted to give some background as to the reason for the crazy/boneheaded decision I made at the start of the race. At the start, I ran the jock math in my head and figured out that I could easily run at a 7:40 to 7:50/mile pace without any problems. I had run this pace for all my long runs including two 20 milers and one 22 miler. However, a 7:40 pace would not get me into Boston. It would lower my PR from 3:42:17 set back in April of 2000 by about 20 or so minutes. But, the goal was to qualify for Boston, right? Right! Being an experiment of one, I told myself to get into BQ pace from the start and see if I could hold it for the entire 26.2. This plan was a one way ticket into the unknown. Prefontaine-like, race to see who has the most guts. All or nothing.
The gun blasted and we all headed out on our personal quests. I got on pace shortly after mile three and held it there. I felt good throughout the first half. My time check told me a 7:27/mile pace. Great! As I headed out for the second half things were looking good. I got to mile 16, and felt a little familiar twinge in my right calf. This was strange because I had not cramped in any of my training runs. I did take notice that the weather was now far from the 45 degrees we started at 2 hours ago. It was getting closer to 70. I made a conscious effort to periodically adjust my running gait to hold off the cramp. This method seemed to be working, I was still on my 7:27 pace. Awesome! Not so fast! Between mile 20 and 21, my calf and both thighs (probably due to the changing of my gait and the hills) decided to not play nice anymore. I was stopped dead in my tracks. I took a moment to work it out and started walking. Once I felt good again, I started running without issues. I kept it together, but my pace for miles 21, 22 & 23 was 9:13, 9:13 & 9:25, respectively. Game over! The answer to the question I had asked myself just two and a half hours ago - was 21 miles (Remember? - How far can I run at a 7:27 pace). The last 3.2 miles was a run/walk while working out the cramps/run some more until you cramp up again sort of deal. I finally made it to the finish. I saw my family, as well as the crowd, cheering for me as I headed towards the line. I was glad it was over.
After the race, I hung out with my wife and boys and just chilled as we watched the other runners come in. We took some pictures, ate and listened to the music the band was jamming out to. A little while later the results were posted and I found my time 3:35:33. A new PR was my consolation prize. I'll take it. I know most people would love to have this finishing time and I understand that. Since my whole training was to run a 3:15, I am guilty of having lost sight of the enormity of the accomplishment. I am not going to downplay my time for the sake of all the runner's out there. I am proud to have run a 3:35:33.
After thinking about my performance yesterday and doubting my decision, I made up my mind that it was the right choice. Yes, I could have felt better physically at the end of the race and not suffered so much during the last 5 miles, but that was not the plan. I probably would not feel so beat up today if I would have run a conservative 3:22.
Pre would be proud - yesterday I ran with guts.
What would you do differently?:

Not a damn thing.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a bit and stretched what I could.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Maybe missing some training runs toward the end of the program. Maybe being sick. I do not know. It does not matter.

Event comments:

A fantastic small town race. The race organizers and sponsors did a wonderful job. I am proud to live in a town with a race weekend like this.

Last updated: 2008-12-10 12:00 AM
Running
03:35:33 | 26.2 miles | 08m 14s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/9
Overall: 30/120
Performance: Average
Course: Almost looks like a figure eight with a loop to the north and a loop to the south.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes