UCSD
58F / 14C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 23m 45s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

This is my first Tri and I wasn't sure what to expect. I didn't get my packet until race day, by the time I was done I couldn't find a spot for my bike in the transition area. I literally had to ask someone to make me room and they did which was surprising and intimidating since I was asking someone to mover over that probably had a $5000 bike comapred to my $200.00. Everyone was nice and helpful. But I was still able to set up my towel and shoes with a few water bottles and Gel packs with enough room to move around.
Event warmup:

I went to the start area and put my feet in the water expecting my feet to freeze that early in the morning. But considering I walekd in the wet mud before I got there my feet were already freezing. So when I got in the water felt warm. I warmed just a bit to make sure the cold water to my body would not be shocked. i felt very comfortable and calm.
Swim
  • 11h 00m
  • 500 yards
  • 2h 12m / 100 yards
Comments:

Being an ex swimmer I thought this was going to be my best event. (Yeah Right) I had never worn a wetsuit before and I wasn't planning on it. I consider myself an above average swimmer. But when I heard the what the temp was going to be I decided to buy one 6 days before they race. Well it turns out that after about 250 meters I couldn't breathe correctly. I thought I was going to die. I didn't even feel the first 200 meters but at midway it's when it hit me and I felt like quitting. Of course I wasn't serious about quitting but I stopped for a moment did back stroke for a while and the last 200 meters I swam with my head above water. Some people say it was panic that struck me but I think it was my lack of experieince with the wetsuit. I didn't start off to fast either because I was very concious about taking it easy from the start. What do you think?
What would you do differently?:

Not where a wet suit. or
Practice but at this point I am scared of wearing it again.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Liek Isaid final results are not in so I am not sure what my times are. But I think I was fairly quick considering I was still trying to catch my breath from that terrible experience in the water.

Pick up my packet the day before or get there extra early in order to get a good spot in the transition area.
Bike
  • 40h 00m
  • 12 miles
  • 0.30 mile/hr
Comments:

I was still trying to catch my breath at this point so I decided to start at a very low gear just enough to catch. After the first lap I gradually increased my speed and felt great the rest of the way.

Not sure other than getting clip pedals, shoes and train more. I am new to road bikes and I just started riding in Nov and it's frustrating to see people pass you up when you think you are going so fast.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

I don't have clip on shoes so I just jumped off the bike and took my helemet tore into a Gel pack and a water bottle in my other hand.

Nothing I was very fast and I will probably slow down on my next Tri becuase i will probably use clip pedals.
Run
  • 32h 00m
  • 3.1 miles
  • 10h 19m 21s  min/mile
Comments:

I am not a very good runner and it's is probably my worst event. In a normal 5k I have improved my times each race my first ine ever was 44 minutes and my last one in Jan was 26 minutes. So I have made a big imporvement from my first. But this is a Tri and the last leg at that. I obviously didn't expect to break my personal best considering I just swam and Biked 12 miles. It took me about 32 minutes unofficialy.

I probably could have run at a faster pace and for the first time ever I actually passed somone on the last mile. But overall I think I held back and could have pushed a little more at the end.
Post race
Warm down:

Not much of a warm down, my girlfriend and sister and Mom were waiting for me at the finish line.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The wet suit, held back on the run. Other wise in the bike I was a bit faster than normal.

Event comments:

Im hooked, I just signed up for my next one on March 8th a day after my 35th birthday. I guess that means I move to a diffrent age group.

Still traumitized about the wet suit at this point I think I would rather brave the cold water than put it on.

Last updated: 2009-02-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
11:00:00 | 500 yards | 2h 12m / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Bad
Suit: Neo Sport
Course: Calm Water
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 58F / 14C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
40:00:00 | 12 miles | 0.30 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: I practice a lot in this same spot so I was very familiar with the course. To my amazment very little head wind compared to my practices. This not my official time but what I can remeber from looking at my watch I actually did it about 2 minutes faster than in practice.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
32:00:00 | 03.1 miles | 10h 19m 21s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: Out and back with some running on dirt that was very unstable.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %na
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-02-23 5:58 PM

New user

Subject: Tritonman UCSD Sprint

2009-02-23 6:08 PM
in reply to: #1978022

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carlsbad, CA
Subject: RE: Tritonman UCSD Sprint

Edgar,

Great job, congrats!  Since you asked for opinions, though, I will venture to say that the wetsuit wasn't your problem with the swim.  I had the exact same experience as you in my first two races, and I swim in my wetsuit often.  Others here have felt the same way ... it's not unusual.  Relax, you'll find your groove and get more comfortable on the swim, and I'd be willing to bet that every bit of advice you get here on BT will be in strong favor of using a wetsuit whenever possible.

Congratulations, again!!!

2009-02-24 12:07 AM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA
Great job ... I'm glad people were friendly and offered to make room. You did an awesome job!! Are you doing the Toyota Desert Tri in 2 weeks?
2009-03-03 3:56 PM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV

Great job on the race, and see you there next year.

Good luck this season.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tritonman UCSD Sprint Rss Feed