General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First race in wetsuit in 10 days - questions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-02-25 1:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: First race in wetsuit in 10 days - questions

Ok...race season officially starts for me in about 10 days - heading down to FLA to do an Oly that will allow me to wear a wetsuit.  This will actually be my first Oly and I am ok with the distances...swim is definitely my weakest leg.  I am a diver and have been in a wetsuit before but never really to actually swim any distance in one.  I have only swam in one once - and that was to try on the wetsuit after I bought it...swim in it for about 10 minutes and learned it was too big ....got the new one (smaller size) and it has been in closet for few months.  Now I have the Oly race coming up (FYI I am also doing the New Orleans 70.3 a month later and have a few wetsuit related questions.  I am actually doing this race so that I can get a good open water swim in a wetsuit that is somewhat close to the 70.3 distance.  That one will be wetsuit legal too, or so I am told.  Here are a few questions:

1.  Is it ok to swim in the suit in the pool once before my race?  If so, do I need to do anything special to it after?

2.  What exactly do you do with the wetsuit after you take it off in T-1?  Fold it or just lay it on bike?

3.  How much difference - effort wise or speed wise, will the suit provide vs swimming without one?

4.  The NO 70.3 is in Lake Pontchartrain - which I think is somewhat brackish...will this swim in a wetsuit be much different from my pool training?

Thanks in advance - I'm anxious to get racin'.

Brian

aka Trail_Runner

2009-02-25 2:04 PM
in reply to: #1981607

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Subject: RE: First race in wetsuit in 10 days - questions

1.  Is it ok to swim in the suit in the pool once before my race?  If so, do I need to do anything special to it after?  I do on occasion.  It's not the best idea (chlorine and neoprene don't get along).  But if you wash/rinse it with cold fresh water, it's fine if done on the rare occasion.

2.  What exactly do you do with the wetsuit after you take it off in T-1?  Fold it or just lay it on bike?

Since you are going to be RIDING the bike, probably don't want to lay it on the bike.    I just wad mine up and throw it under the bike, but not on my running gear.  I don't want wet shoes/hat/etc.

3.  How much difference - effort wise or speed wise, will the suit provide vs swimming without one?

I see roughly a 10 second/100 yard improvement with a wetsuit.

4.  The NO 70.3 is in Lake Pontchartrain - which I think is somewhat brackish...will this swim in a wetsuit be much different from my pool training?

OWS will be different in a lot of ways.  The race atmosphere, the wetsuit, open water...

2009-02-25 2:24 PM

User image

1.  Is it ok to swim in the suit in the pool once before my race?  If so, do I need to do anything special to it after?

Yes, just rinse it well

Can't lay it on the bike, would make riding it hard    I just shove it into my transition area, try not to let it spill into someone else's stuff.  Don't hang it on the bar, it'll be in your way when you come back from the bike.  Don't worry about caring for it in T1, time for that is after the race

Most people will be faster with a wetsuit, how much depends n your current ability.  Slower people tend to get more of a benefit

might taste worse.  Don't think you'll notice much of a difference otherwise between fresh and brackish (salt, you would)

Brian

aka Trail_Runner

2009-02-26 2:12 AM
in reply to: #1981662

User image

Master
Lake Oswego, OR
ChrisM - 2009-02-25 12:24 PM

Yes, just rinse it well

Can't lay it on the bike, would make riding it hard    I just shove it into my transition area, try not to let it spill into someone else's stuff.  Don't hang it on the bar, it'll be in your way when you come back from the bike.  Don't worry about caring for it in T1, time for that is after the race

Most people will be faster with a wetsuit, how much depends n your current ability.  Slower people tend to get more of a benefit

might taste worse.  Don't think you'll notice much of a difference otherwise between fresh and brackish (salt, you would)

Brian

aka Trail_Runner

+1

2009-02-26 12:31 PM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area

Sorry, don't mean to hijack the thread (great questions) but can I add:

What do you use to make removing the wetsuit easier?  I have heard Body glide, TriSlide, PAM/cooking spray oil.  What do you folks use?

2009-02-26 12:40 PM
in reply to: #1983724

User image

Sensei
Sin City
GaryRM - 2009-02-26 10:31 AM

Sorry, don't mean to hijack the thread (great questions) but can I add:

What do you use to make removing the wetsuit easier?  I have heard Body glide, TriSlide, PAM/cooking spray oil.  What do you folks use?

I use just a bit of cooking spray on the shins/calves and ankles.  That's the only part of the suit that seems to catch (on my heels/feet) when I try to take it off fast.

2009-02-26 12:49 PM

User image

Regular
St. Cloud, MN
If you're going to use it in the pool make to rinse it BEFORE and AFTER you use it.  The before part is almost more important because the neoprene will absorb the first water it touches.  You'd rather have that be cool fresh water from the shower than chlorinated pool water.  Good luck with your race!
2009-02-26 1:01 PM
in reply to: #1981662

User image

Champion
Richmond, VA
ChrisM - 2009-02-25 3:24 PM

Yes, just rinse it well

Brian

aka Trail_Runner

clearly ChrisM is a very smart man.  Agree with everything he said.

I would add that you might want to bring a small bottle of water for T1 for the sole purpose of rinsing out your mouth.  I did a race in "brackish" water and the RD gave us this bit of advice - proved invaluable.  No matter how hard you try, you'll "ingest" a little water and having a small bottle of water you can rinse out your mouth is a great thing for T1.  (i.e. don't waste your bike water)

2009-02-26 6:16 PM

User image

Ontario
Before my first wetsuit race I did something that really helped.  I took a few showers/baths in my wetsuit and practiced getting it off when wet as fast as I could.  t took about one day for my suit to dry out so I could do it again, so don't wait until the day before!  It makes a difference.  Good luck with your race. 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First race in wetsuit in 10 days - questions Rss Feed