General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Finishing the your first Sprint swim leg, one way or another. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 1

2009-02-25 5:04 PM

User image

Subject: Finishing the your first Sprint swim leg, one way or another.

Do you have stories of your first Tri (Sprint) that you could not do the 1/3 of a mile in Free style and either did the doggie paddle or backstroke???

Is it ok to do this if for what ever reason you get spooked or just screwed up??

Can't wait to hear your stories

Rich

2009-02-25 5:13 PM
in reply to: #1982017

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Finishing the your first Sprint swim leg, one way or another.

I've not had that experience, but I have watched others have this experience.  They looked comfortable and relaxed.  Just finish and let your stronger sports take over.  Swimming is my strong suit, but it is also the shortest leg of the race, so plenty of people I pass on the swim blow by me on the bike or run.

If you ever decide to do the NJ State Triathlon, you could swim the 500m course by swimming about 20 meters to each safety kayak...well, at least it seemed like there were that many.   

2009-02-25 5:14 PM

User image

Get through it the best way you know how.  Perfectly fine to paddle or backstroke.
2009-02-25 5:15 PM
in reply to: #1982026

User image

Wow I like that idea of swimming to the next kayak.  At least it gives one a peice of mind.

Take care

2009-02-25 5:41 PM

User image

Elite
Evergreen, CO
My 1st tri I did freestyle, breast stroke, back stroke and side stroke.  Breast stroke was a bad idea because waves kept hitting me in the face and I would choke.  I finally just put my head in the water (temp in low 50s) and swam to shore, ending up about 40 yards too far right, which was only a problem because I couldn't run in a straight line right out of the water.  Good times
2009-02-25 5:58 PM

Champion

I did an entire 1/2 Ironman swim (1.2 miles), doing the back stroke just about the whole distance.  Due to being a backstroke swimmer in high school, I'm just as fast that way.  Plus it let's you breathe at your own pace instead of whenever your stroke rate dictates.  The negative side is obviously sighting and trying to avoid swimming over other racers.  On the plus side, you can sort of gauge your direction by watching those swimming behind you!  Not recommended....but you do what you have to do in order to get through it!

Edited by max 2009-02-25 5:58 PM

2009-02-25 6:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver, CO
The very first sprint tri I did I was only able to practice OWS a couple of times (I didn't have a wetsuit and the water is COLD here in colorado!). I stayed towards the side and back at the beginning because I knew I shouldn't be up front. However, I totally freaked out when the mass start of 100 of us all entered the water. I would do some freestyle, feel a foot in front of me, get kicked, get freaked out and lose my breath, breast stroke, then do the side stroke. This was pretty much the routine the entire swim.
I found that I felt the most comfortable doing the side stroke in that race b/c 1: I could see where I was going 2: I could see where all the other swimmers were, and 3: I didn't get kicked swimming like that. I think it took me about 19 minutes to swim that 1/2 mile...yikes!!! but I made it to the end and was just happy to be done with it!

I don't think there's any shame in having to side stroke, backstroke, etc... if that's what you have to do to make it through!

Good luck! Aimee
2009-02-25 6:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denton
Do what you gotta do - no one's going to judge you.
2009-02-25 6:57 PM

User image

That's great to hear all of your stories,,,thanks for sharing!!  I have to tell you I have 6 months to prepare to go 1/3 of a mile in one peice, but i now feel very good about knowing it can be done in different ways if needed.  I can go miles on my back. I least I know I could resort to this if needed. hahaha.

Take care all and keep 'em coming

2009-02-25 8:16 PM
in reply to: #1982028

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

My first tri was a pool swim, they really didn't care how you got through the water as long as you did a serpentine thing up and down the lanes.

My second tri was my first OWS race and I had minimal real OWS swimming background.  Can we say panic attack?  It fits!  Felt too constricted in the wetsuit and had to partially unzip it so I could breathe.  Waved a kayak over, asked if they would let me finish the race if I got out.  "NO"  Okay, I said, "stay with me"  I had a lovely man named Ken kayak alongside of me for most of the swim.  He'd ask me every so often if I needed rest.  I did side stroke and backstroke...ANYTHING to get through that swim.  It took me 30 minutes to swim 750 meters.

I am going back to that race this year to do an OLY, that lake owes me a decent swim.

(see my race reports if you want to read about the details, Cayuga Lake 2007)

Edited by QueenZipp 2009-02-25 8:17 PM
2009-02-25 8:24 PM

I breastroked the entire way in my pink flourescent cap with my very own 14yr old life-saver on a kayak behind me for most of the way asking if I was ok..... My swim time was 14minutes vs 4minutes for fastest guys - and - I wasnt last out the water...! The biggest miscalculation I made was going wide to stay out of the way of the racing pack behind me - which worked - until... the last buoy when I realised i was directly in the path of the fastest way to get out hte water and 40 age groupers from the wave behind me were about to swim over me ! I really honeslty did tread water until they passed ;-)  I guess I had lost the eye-of-the-tiger by then and was more worried about not drowning from kick in the head. 

Everytihng is ok - nobody will worry - there are loads of people watching you which is a bit of a kicker and mildly embarrassing but mentally remember that those lard- aren't about to swim,bike,run.

Once you got a swim cap on and goggles you are anonymous and in the zone. 

2009-02-25 8:31 PM

Royal Oak, MI
It wasn't my first tri, but I ended up breast stroking most of an oly swim once. Was the second to last person out of the water too, but oh well, I finished it Also caught and passed a lot of people on the bike and run, which was fun.
2009-02-25 11:33 PM

User image

Keep them coming!!!!  These are all  great.
2009-02-26 1:01 AM

User image

Veteran
Had my first tri swim last year..750m. looking back I remember thinking wow that looks far. It was not a mass start which was nice and I started going strong then about 150m into it I panicked. Still dont really know why but I sure wanted to swim to the shore and get out. I was sooo scared. (I had done quit alot of open water swims so I thought I would be OK). The urge to get out of the water ws really strong but I swam on my back for the next 250m and on the way back (loop)seemed to get over it. I think mental being prepared for this helped me out. Listing to other peoples stories before hand really helped. So good thread. The second race I had no problems at all and the third race was an oly and I really enjoyed the swim on that one.
2009-02-26 6:36 AM
in reply to: #1982748

User image

Master
Suwanee, Ga.

Did a 1500 yd swim in Wilmington N.C.  Salt water but in the waterway and not out in the open ocean.  Went about 500 yds. and cramped in each leg.  Also first OWS with a wetsuit.  Went over to kayak #1....started up again...cramp....etc....etc.  I went boat to boat (about 10 in all)for the last 1000 yds.

I was past by people 5 waves behind me...so what.  I still finished.

Best part was the Southern Hospitality...Kayakers were in radio contact with each other and by the time I was at boat 5 or 6 as I swam up they would ask, "How are the legs, Steve?"  "Only x more boats to go"...etc.  I also saw 4 of the teenagers from the boats when I was on the run and they were screaming as I ran by..."Great job Steve...your legs are looking better".

Steve

2009-02-26 10:33 AM

New user
Woodstock
My first tri was an Olympic Tri at Walt Disney. I had trained in a pool with no open water training at all. My nerves were so shot by the time I hit the water I didn't know what I was doing. I did a little freestyle at first, A little backstroke, sidestroke, and yes even the doggy paddle all within the first half of the swimming leg. By the second half i think my nerves settled down and I was able to look like I knew how to swim. To be honest I saw alot of people doing all types of swimming techniques. It was a blast!!!!

2009-02-26 11:07 AM

User image

Veteran

I did what I call "tarzan" swimming in my 1st open water tri. It was 1.2 miles of freestyle without sticking your face in the (cold) water. My neck was a little sore, but I  beat my best pool time by 25% (47 min.)!  I felt so good just to have survived that the rest of the day was awesome from there out. It also didn't help that it was a beach start and I was pushed so far to the front that my toes were in the water. "Tarzan" doesn't belong up front. I felt really stupid for swimming that way, but then 1/3 through I heard a guy actually singing while swimming and it reminded me that I was there to enjoy it and have fun. The buoys did look tempting a few times, but I didn't want to throw away months of training, even if it did only include one OWS.

2009-02-26 11:17 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-02-26 11:20 AM

Expert
Oak Creek, WI

did my first tri last june...  was a sprint...  1/4 mile swim...  even though i was new to swimming i had been hitting the pool with some regularity....  and could swim freestyle for over a mile without any sort of recovery...  so while i was naturally feeling nervous about my first tri...  i assumed the swim would be okay... 

i'm not a great swimmer by any stretch (generally around 2:00 per 100 yd)...  however i was so jacked up for my first race race... that i went out flying...  was the first in my wave to the first buoy (probably about 100 yds out)...  and probably about the last out of the water...  i was soo out of breath after the first 100 yds... and not being used to how tight the wetsuits feel...  i simply could not catch my breath...  and my arms felt like anchors....  i could barely breaststroke...  i almost stopped!!!  i ended up doing the backstroke for the majority of the rest of the swim... and finally caught my breath about 5 minutes into the bike...

huge lesson learned there!!!

2009-02-26 11:38 AM

Expert
Earth
Just go read my first race report for a tri.  That was a horrible swim.
2009-02-26 11:48 AM

Veteran
Canton, GA

Rich,

Your fear is obviously a common one as you see from all the above posts.  I was a competitve swimmer growing up.  Granted that was many years, and POUNDS, ago.  I did my first triathlon in Oct. and it was a very short 400m swim.  I only trained a little bit before the triathlon and honestly hadn't swam (other than 1x a week for that two months getting ready for the race) in about 10-14 years.  I was so pumped and excited at the beginning of the race that I took off like a bullet.  It was a in water (wading) start in age group waves (about 100 in each wave).  I started all the way to the outside edge, but in the front so that I wouldn't get trampled in the middle.  I went out so fast that I pretty much ran out of gas after the first 150 yards and wound up having to do a lot of breast to catch my breath and composure.  It was also easier to pull up occasionally so that I didn't keep running into people around me.  I still got out of the water 6th in my wave (30-34m) and caught several people that started in the wave 5 minutes ahead of us(25-29m).  My biggest issue was that I was so tired from going so hard on the swim, that I pretty much had to walk up the giant hill to the transition area.  I got out of the water in 6th position and got to the top of the hill in 19th (not to mention the others from the first wave that passed me going up the hill.)  Having learned a lot from that experience, my advice to you is to stay within yourself.  If you feel more comfortable doing backstroke and breast, then do it.  The minimal gains you make killing yourself on the swim are so far outweighed by what you'll lose trying to recover, that I now know to relax more on the swim and try to build a solid base in all three areas.  Next race I do, I'm coasting more in the swim! 

Just my two cents.  I hope it helps!

Good luck and happy racing!

Duane

2009-02-26 11:50 AM

Master

During a few of my PAOWS (Panic Attack Open Water Swims) last year I used the "snow angel" stroke to get to shore. It wasn't pretty but it worked.

2009-02-26 11:52 AM

Such great stories everyone, I feel very honored that you all have shared with me and everyone else that read this post.  I look forward to doing my first swim in OW this spring. but for now its the Y pool. 

GREAT JOB BY YOU ALL THAT POSTED AND FINISHED YOUR SWIM!!!!!

2009-02-26 8:00 PM

Extreme Veteran
Fleming Island, FL
I felt lucky to survive my first OWS in my first sprint having had zero swim training prior to the race. Two buddies talked me into doing the sprint about 2 weeks before the race. I have been running for years, but hadn't biked in a long time and only thought I knew how to swim freestyle. The morning of the race I was very nervous since it was a 1/4 mile ocean swim and was so rough they almost changed the race to a duathlon. Fortunately, I was in the last heat with the rest of the first timers so I didn't get swam over. I remember being so tired just getting out past the breakers that all I could do was the side stroke the whole way. What made it worse was that the last buoy before the turn was being slowly dragged by the rough surf and the 1/4 miles turned out to be longer. My wife was very happy to see me when I finally came up out of the water. When I finished that sprint I swore that it was the hardest thing I had ever done. After the race she told me that a guy that was coming out of the water before me had a heart attack and later died.
I did my first HIM 2 years later and pretty much had to resort to the side and/or breast stroke because I could not catch my breath. I'd swim about 10 strokes freestyle and then it was back to any stroke I could do to keep from hyper-ventilating. I've gotten a little better on the swim, but it is still my Archilles heel of the 3 disciplines.
2009-02-26 11:34 PM

Wow. great story,  I would have crapped myself if I hadn't done any traning and saw an ocean in front of me with rough water...nooooo thanks.  Great job by you though. Especially for sticking with it.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Finishing the your first Sprint swim leg, one way or another. Rss Feed  

of 1