General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What to Drink.... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-02-26 8:41 AM

User image

Regular
So. Cal.
Subject: What to Drink....
I’ve gone back a few pages on this forum and couldn’t find anything on my question so I’ll go ahead and post.

I drink soda, way too much soda. But after spending 4 months training for a marathon and then the last 3 weeks starting in on a sprint training plan, I have not lost much, if any weight. I know nutrition is at the root of the problem with the sodas being the #1 issue that I plan on targeting.

My problem is I don’t like coffee or tea, juice has a lot of sugars and just drinking water gets old after a few days. Anyone have some good alternatives?

2009-02-26 8:54 AM
in reply to: #1982978

User image

New user
St Paul, MN
Subject: RE: What to Drink....
I am pretty much just a coffee and water drinker...but when I find that water is just getting old I will do a nalgene bottle of crystal light.  It's made with aspartame so I try to stay away from drinking alot of it, but it usually does the trick to cure water boredom.
2009-02-26 8:55 AM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

Have you tried putting lemon or lime slices in your water?  I just saw that someone else tried orange and lemon in a water bottle and really liked it.  You get flavor that way without all of the calories.

You could also try something like Crystal Light or U hydration tabs (made by the people who make Nuun, but with less electrolytes).  The only problem with Crystal Lite is the fake sugar.  Some people don't like to drink that either.

2009-02-26 9:42 AM

User image

Veteran
Columbia, KY
Apple Cider Vinegar (raw, organic) is supposed to be insanely healthy...I always add a swig to my water bottle. It took a little getting used to, but now I don't really enjoy my water without it! Definitely ditch the soda, regular or diet, for the calories and the health!
2009-02-26 11:07 AM

User image

Mountain View, CA
Have you tried moving away from soda gradually? For example, first switch to carbonated fruit juice, e.g. Crystal Geyser's juice squeezes. Or switch half of your soda to carbonated juice, and over time increase the juice-to-soda ratio in your fridge. Yes, juice has sugar, but it's no worse for you than soda, and the point here is that you're replacing soda with something that's similar in taste and feel. That way you won't miss the soda as much, and it will be easier to sustain the change.

Once you get used to that, switch to flavored mineral water (carbonated if you like), and when you're happy with that, change over to water (or unflavored sparkling/mineral water). The point is that weaning yourself off the soda slowly might be more sustainable in the long run than just quitting cold turkey. Everyone's different, but since you mentioned getting bored with plain water (which I assume you tried after going cold turkey on soda), this might help.
2009-02-26 1:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I gave up pop last year... but I was never a big pop drinker. My favourite drink is Club Soda and Cranberry Juice. I use a big pint glass and mix the entire can of Club Soda with about 1/4 cup of juice. You can use any kind of juice you want... I just like tart juice. Club soda doesn't have any sugar or anything in it... it is ultimately carbonated water.

I also do the lemon slices in my water. It makes it yummier.

2009-02-26 5:07 PM

User image

Champion
MA

I just drink water. I used to drink a lot of diet soda...I gave it up in the  No Sugar challenge 2 months ago. At first I did tea, but I just drink lots of plain water and rarely anything else. Once in awhile I'll have tomato juice.

2009-02-28 11:34 AM

User image

Veteran
, Washington

I was like you-impossible to give up the bubbles, sugar, caffeine...water got old in a real hurry.

Eventually, your tongue WILL get used to just water, but it's a matter of weeks, not days.  I went with zero soda for 3 weeks, and now drink it about once a week, and have found that now that I'm off it, many sodas I can't STAND the flavor of any more (especially Coke).

I'll second the idea of squeezing fresh lemon or lime (I don't reccommend the bottled stuff...it tasted like carp).  Also chocolate milk as an after-workout treat helped with the sweet/sugar factor.  Might be cheating to the no-sugar challenge folks, but I do what keeps me saneLaughing

Good luck!  It ain't easy, but its SOOOOOO worth it.

Edited by deskjockeyjim 2009-02-28 11:35 AM
2009-02-28 11:07 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
I thought I was doing so good to switch from regular soda to diet soda about 15 years ago. I suffered from some gastro-intestinal problems for a while and quit drinking soda altogether. Most of my gastro-intestinal problems went away. That was about 2 years ago. Was pretty good about drinking water. I still love a cold bottle of water (I drink about 20oz a day) but I too needed something else. I can only tolerate a certain amount of milk a day and try to limit myself to one small glass of juice a day. Lately I'm on a G2 kick to get my fluids for the day. I drink about two quarts a day. I like the taste and lack of calories.
2009-03-02 7:29 PM
in reply to: #1988961

User image

Champion
check out the la criox soda waters, most stores carry them (or a canada dry version), it comes in about a million flavors- lemon, lime, orange, mixed berry, grapefruit, plain, cran/rass, and maybe more, and is a great alternitive to plain water if you are looking for some flavor.
2009-03-03 9:38 AM
in reply to: #1983024

User image

Master
Artemis - 2009-02-26 9:55 AM

Have you tried putting lemon or lime slices in your water?  I just saw that someone else tried orange and lemon in a water bottle and really liked it.  You get flavor that way without all of the calories.

That's me! If you put an orange slice and 1/2 a lemon slice in water, it mimics the taste of Diet Dew (although, obviously, the taste is weaker). But this has gotten me through 6 days without soda, and eventually I probably won't need the fruit slices, or maybe only very small slices. I put them in 32-ounce Nalgene bottles.

I think giving up soda is a process ... at least it was for me. It's taken me several months to get to this point.

Hot (or cold) tea also helps, but work toward where you can drink them without sugar or honey.

But if you're just subbing Crystal Light or flavored water, you're still having the aspartame. I don't know how much better that is for you health-wise, than just drinking diet soda.

You can also experiment with diluted fruit juices at first.

2009-03-05 11:05 PM

User image

New user

Also for the water think about what you have it in.  A nalgene bottle is good but I just recently got a metal water bottle which is an amazing difference in taste.

Other things you can add to water to make it taste more interesting are cucumber slices or mint.  I stay away from club sodas and such because they can have a lot of sodium.

If you like the taste of juice a half a cup in a 32 oz bottle gives the whole thing a nice taste with only one serving of juice/fruit for your daily intake.

I don't reccomend flavored items in a camelbag or anything - the taste almost never comes out. Tongue out

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What to Drink.... Rss Feed