General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hip Pain--Replace run with bike tomorrow? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-03-22 9:01 PM

Regular
New York, NY
Subject: Hip Pain--Replace run with bike tomorrow?
OK, here's the background. On Saturday I had what I thought was a great bike ride. Cut over 4 minutes off my 12 mile loop time. I really pushed myself, but also was working on stroke and cadence etc, which I think helped. I felt sore afterwards, particularly in my left hip, but I stretched and didn't feel any significant lingering pain.

Then, Sunday I did my run on the treadmill rather than outside (it was raining) and the first half was fine, but the second half my hip got tight (but not painful). I probably shouldn't have pushed my pace as much as I did, but what's done is done. I stretched thoroughly and felt totally fine after the run, no hip pain.

But boy, Sunday night I was in a lot of pain. Major aching in my hip, couldn't sleep, very sore. This pain continued Monday, which was my swim day. I did a full round of stretching twice on Monday, and iced my hip before I went to bed. Still had pain, but was able to sleep. Today I iced in the morning and did some stretching and the pain was definitely better than yesterday.

So, to my question: tomorrow I am supposed to run for 20 minutes. Again, it will be raining, so it will be on the treadmill (which I find is always harder on my body than running outside). Should I:
A. Do the run anyway, but keep it slow, and concentrate on keeping my hips loose?
B. Do an easy bike ride on the stationary bike at the gym just to get the blood flowing?
C. Don't do anything, since its unclear whether it was the bike or the run which caused the problem with my hip?

Thoughts? I have a history of chronic sports injuries, and I definitely don't want my new triathlon activities to go down that same path....

--Jennifer

2005-03-22 10:13 PM
in reply to: #132981

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2005-03-23 2:08 AM

Veteran
Seattle, WA
Subject: RE: Hip Pain--Replace run with bike tomorrow?
I'm not a doctor or anything, but I have personally had hip pain coming from the low back. There is a muscle called the psoas muscle that runs from the back, through your pelvis and to the hip. This can get aggrevated on the bike very easily.
If the pain is in the front of your hip, and/or if you have tightness in your lower back, be careful about substituting a bike for a run, as the bike might make it worse.

You could consider a gym reclining bike ride at a low intensity to keep the legs moving but not stress the back.

Hope you feel better soon
2005-03-23 2:42 AM

Expert
Denver, Colorado
I don't think anyone can predict whether running or biking will be worse for your hip. I have found that both aggravate my hips in different ways. If you must work out tomorrow, just run or bike at an easy pace and see how it feels. If it hurts too much, stop. Experience will teach you how to treat different aches and pains, and there's only one way to get that experience. Or if you're not an experimentalist, do some swimming or pool running and keep stretching and icing the injury until you feel 100% again.

I must say, the fact that the hip hurt when you were just resting and it kept you from sleeping raises concern, so the second option I gave you is probably the better one. Good luck.

-dave
2005-03-23 11:26 AM
in reply to: #133068

Regular
New York, NY
Thanks everyone. I wound up skipping my workout entirely today--I couldn't substitute a swim b/c I have to book pool time a week in advance. But I think it was the right decision: my hip is feeling better, but not well. Hopefully I'll be able to start training at mostly full speed by the weekend.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hip Pain--Replace run with bike tomorrow? Rss Feed