General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Speed work outs for a sprint and olympic tris Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-02-28 4:51 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: Speed work outs for a sprint and olympic tris
Been working hard this past 8 months on distance running. I'm averaging at least 8 minute miles on 10K distance and 7:30's for 3 to 4 miles. I'm trying to build more speed. Any suggestions? I run mon-Fri about 3 to 4miles a day and Sundays are my long days at 7.7 miles. I need to incorporate speed training, I just don't know a drill to assist me with this. My first Race for the season is in the end of next month. Thanks.

2009-02-28 6:06 AM
in reply to: #1987279

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-02-28 6:16 AM

Master
Houston, TX
Subject: RE: Speed work outs for a sprint and olympic tris
You will see speed gains if you just increase your volume(your run volume isn't too low, but you're just grinding out 3mile runs all the time that won't cut it for a 10k). Something tells me you're probably running too hard every run right now so you probably don't need anymore speed work. Still endurance is most likely your weakness right now. Start increasing 2 or so of your week day runs a little bit at a time over the next few weeks and do the same with your long run on the weekend. Once you get comfortable with running 8-10+ more miles a week start tossing in a tempo or run or two a week. You'll get plenty fast by just doing that and mainly slowly upping your miles.

Are you running 6 times a week? Are you basically just focusing on running? If you're goal is triathlon you're going to need to bike more or all the running fitness is for nothing. I would cut back a run session and just get each runs volume up, and bike a lot more!

Edited by smilford 2009-02-28 6:17 AM
2009-02-28 6:25 AM

Expert
Wilmington, NC

I think you have quite a solid start going, especially with the frequency of your running. I would like to see you continue to build your volume over the next few weeks so you have 4 runs in the 5/6 mile range and a long run towards the 10 mile number.

As for getting faster. I think you would need to start by adding a "tempo"/"steady state" run into your week as opposed to what drills and what most people call speedwork (intervals and repetitions).

Maybe get it to look something like this:

Mon   5mi

Tues   1.5 mi warm up slow, 3mi tempo, 1.5 cd slow

** NOt sure where you are at but you want to do the 3 mi tempo at a pace about 20sec slower/mile than your current 5k race pace. So if you can race a 5k at 7:30pace (23:18) then you would run your tempo run at 7:50 - 7:55 pace/mile.

You can start out the 1st couple of weeks breaking this down into intervals with very short recoveries (I know I know, I said no intervals earlier) These will get you adjusted to the faster longer 3mi run.

You can do 3 x 1mi at 7:45 - 7:50 pace with a 1 minute recovery between each.

Wed   5mi

Thur   5mi

Fri      8 - 10mi

I think a strength oriented "speed session" will result in great gains at thi spoint of your running.

That is my $0.02 If you have any questions about what I wrote, feel free to ask.

2009-02-28 7:14 AM

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

You are not looking for "speed" you are looking for a faster pace at the same level of effort.

That comes with mileage and time.  As you get closer to an event you will want to work on your VO2 capacity as in general any gains you get from interval/track work are fairly short lived.

Incoporate some different paces into your effort as smilford mentioned and try to get in some more runs.  You will see gains by mixing it up and increasing your volume.  "Speedwork" is not required at all to be faster paced in events.

And if you REALLY want to be able to run well in a triathlon?  Up your cycling mileage a LOT and give yourself the opportunity to come off the bike fresh.  For example, being able to run 6 minute miles doesn't mean squat diddly if you can't pace the bike right and come off it toast.

2009-02-28 12:12 PM
in reply to: #1987313

Champion
he speaks the truth about the bike

last season i missed over two months of running due to injury, biked more, and came back and PRd in the 5k part of the next 3 races i did, mainly because bike fitness carried over and i could hammer the bike and still come off feeling decent

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Speed work outs for a sprint and olympic tris Rss Feed