United States
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 45m 9s
Overall Rank = 6598/8686
Age Group = F 40-44
Age Group Rank = 380/551
Pre-race routine:

Looked around for friends....ran into a guy I used to work with 9 years ago!
Run
  • 45m 9s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 14m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

It was crazy crowded and I saw 2 folks need ambulances. One of the people probably fell off the median knee first into brick...but I heard the other one had heat exhaustion.

Ran too fast the first mile and suffered through the rest of the race. I'm very disappointed with my time....but what can I expect with all the weight I've gained?

At the end of the day though, my corporate team won FIRST PLACE for Women Masters 5k....we won 6 awards total...4 of them for the women's team!! Thank goodness only the top three times counted!
What would you do differently?:

Learn to control myself...both with pace and with calories in the months preceding the race.
Post race
Event comments:

They let too many people do the race this year....the organizers did their best to get people seeded well by having signs with expected finish times...but everyone ignored them. There were grandmas at the start line next to the Kenyans. What a mess.

The first water station was a total mess...I didn't stop, but you had to wait in line as they poured water into your cup...Crazy!

Last updated: 2009-01-17 12:00 AM
Running
00:45:09 | 03.11 miles | 14m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/551
Overall: 0/8686
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2009-02-28 12:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Gasparilla 5K

2009-02-28 5:12 PM
in reply to: #1987639

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: RE: Gasparilla 5K
Hey there..I didn't have a very good day either..it was bloody hot.  I bet it was a lot worse for the 5K.  I hope your 1/2 tommorrow goes much better
2009-03-01 1:36 PM

Tampa, FL
This was the worst 5k for me in memory. I was running it for the experience of running a race after taking a few years off and wasn't concerned with time, that much. But Wow, I could not get into any kind of rhythm. From the start, I was having to go around people walking. It seemed that the mass of people could not get lined up in their appropriate estimated paces. I feel like I ran intervals the entire time, sprinting past people, slowing down so as to not hit any one, speeding up past people, jumping on the sidewalk/median, moving left to right then right to left. I was going to let this be my only race before the first tri. I will have to run another 5k for vindication now.
2009-03-03 6:11 AM

User image

New user

I just gotta say "grandmas next to Kenyans" ... LOL! Laughing

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Gasparilla 5K Rss Feed