Hartford Track Club
42F / 6C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 55m 10s
Overall Rank = 183/306
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 14/33
Pre-race routine:

had a pp&j and a chai tea before I left the house. Drove up early to drive the course because I wanted to check out what exactly I was getting into as far as hills. I was very glad I did this because despite it being a hilly course there were really only 2 good sized ones.
Event warmup:

Ran back and forth to my car a couple of times to organize my stuff. ran around the school once. Bumped into a few of my sister's running buds and chatted with them briefly.
Run
  • 1h 55m 10s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

The run was fine. I stopped at the 1st water station at mile 5ish and was handed blue gatorade...barf..I had to spit it out and ask for water.

I was playing leap frog with two "older than me guys" who were doing a run 4:30/ :30walk dealio. After the 3rd time passing them and them taking off on me, I told them (kiddingly) I was onto their game!..I passed them the last 1/4 mile. Told them to move their asses you should NEVER walk in the final stretch!!

Also played leap frog with a couple of girls who were much better hill runners than I was. They'd pass me on the hills and then I'd pass them on the flats. They finished maybe a minute a head of me.

The HILLS-I made it up the first huge hill at mile 6..dirt road.blech. The 2nd hill at mile 8 I was half way up and caught this guy who was walking equivalent to my run. Thought it didn't look like such a bad idea; since I was pretty much just marching up the hill at that point anyway. I think I walked maybe a hundred yards and then started running again but in hindsite it might not have been such a great idea.

The rest of the race was nondescript..just running rolling hills except for the dirt/muddy pothole covered road at mile 11. There was a drink station at about mile 11.5 I blew through it. Didn't really get the point of a drink station that close to the end.

Pulled in at 1:55:10 cheered in by Ebshot and her kids..so nice of her to come up and do that!
What would you do differently?:

Not be such a wimp and walk the top half of the hill at mile 8.
Post race
Warm down:

Not much..Chatted with Erica a bit..there was NO FRIGGN WATER AT THE END!!! WTF??

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I SUCK AT HILLS!!

Event comments:

Didn't go to the post race party so have no idea how it was...wanted to get home and get dry and clean!!!

and just a note..from the competitive side of me...if the age groups were divided into 5 year increments I would have come in 4th ag!!..Me likes 5 yr ag races much better!!

Last updated: 2009-01-02 12:00 AM
Running
01:55:10 | 13.1 miles | 08m 47s  min/mile
Age Group: 14/33
Overall: 183/306
Performance: Good
Course: 13.1 rolling hills with two monstrous hills one at around mile 6 the other at mile 8
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %iwish
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-03-01 9:19 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Subject: Colchester Half Marathon

2009-03-01 1:10 PM
in reply to: #1989299

User image

Elite
Connecticut
Subject: RE: Colchester Half Marathon
Great job Beth!  We had a blast cheering you on!  Cole thought it was the best race ever.  Way to rock the hills!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Colchester Half Marathon Rss Feed