General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Probiotics: yogurt or supplement form Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-03-01 3:09 PM

User image

Regular
NYC
Subject: Probiotics: yogurt or supplement form
Has anyone tried using probiotics for digestive health? I have some digestive issues (IBS, I admit it, not fun) and would like to try using probiotics to keep things moving along.

Any ideas on how I should start integrating this into my diet? I just bought some Activia yogurt, and I have also tried Stonyfield Farms (which is not advertised in terms of digestive health as Activia is, but I like it a lot and I believe, as yogurt, it still has the live and active cultures in it).

Has anyone tried a probiotic supplement before? Any thoughts on this- or any tips on how to keep the digestive track moving along?

Thank you.

2009-03-01 6:09 PM
in reply to: #1989750

User image

Master
Riverside, IL
Subject: RE: Probiotics: yogurt or supplement form
Yup...I'm currently using probiotics and digestive enzymes (see my thread titled "Any gluten-free folks out there?"). I've been having a myriad of digestive-related symptoms. I was recently tested for Celiac's disease (gluten-intolerance), but the test results were negative. According to some online research that I've done, the probiotic yogurts that are out on the market don't have nearly enough probiotics that the supplements offer. I'm thinking that a person would have to consume a very high quantity of yogurt to equal the amount of good bacteria that is found in a good-quality probiotic.

Have you tried pin-pointing the cause of your IBS? I have it too, so yeah...I can relate...it's NOT fun at all. If it's not due to a bacteria (like h.pylori) or some other digestive disorder that can definitively be diagnosed through a positive test of some sort, then most doctors like to use the diagnosis of IBS as an "umbrella"...simply because they don't have a real diagnosis. It could very well be a food intolerance or sensitivity (which is what I think my problem is) that is causing the IBS flare-ups. Another thought I had, was Candida. I didn't know a lot about Candida until I started researching it...and was very surprised to discover that Candida can develop in your intestinal tract. Candida feeds off of sugars..which in turn, causes the bloating, gas, diarrhea/constipation, stomach gurgling, cramping, etc. Gluten/wheat is another big trigger for lots of people. I actually think my issues are a combination of fruits & gluten sensitivity. I had been eating Activia ever since it hit the market...I figured it could only help, right? Well...I'm beginning to think that the Activia yogurt was partly contributing to my tummy troubles...and I know lots of other people who have experienced the same outcome after consuming Activia. For now, I've stopped eating it and will stick with the regular probiotics and enzymes for now and see how things go for about a month or so. If I feel no improvement, then I'll go see a gastroenterologist and have an endoscopy done.
2009-03-02 2:44 PM

User image

Expert
Sugar Hill, GA
you can also try Kefir, which is fermented milk.  Many benefits over yogurt, you can do a google search and find lots of information.  I started using half milk and half kefir in my morning cereal about a year ago.  I got accustomed to the taste pretty quickly and have been happy with the results.
2009-03-02 3:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Traverse City, MI
Interesting, I just wrote a paper on probiotics. As noted above, it does wonders for IBS symptoms. Plus it is a natural remedy! The supplement form offers better doses, but the yogurt and kashi cereal are still great. I don't experience any problems but still love Kashi's probiotic health - good source of fiber & carbs and provides that "morning relief" leaving me light for day.
2009-03-03 8:14 PM
in reply to: #1992259

User image

Regular
NYC
Taffle - 2009-03-02 3:18 PM

Interesting, I just wrote a paper on probiotics. As noted above, it does wonders for IBS symptoms. Plus it is a natural remedy! The supplement form offers better doses, but the yogurt and kashi cereal are still great. I don't experience any problems but still love Kashi's probiotic health - good source of fiber & carbs and provides that "morning relief" leaving me light for day.

How would you recommend I go about choosing a probiotic supplement? There are many out there and I'm not sure how to determine what does what. Any suggestions? Also, do they help with bloating?

Thanks!
2009-03-03 9:23 PM

User image

Master
Riverside, IL
Well...I can tell you what I did in trying to choose one. I was told to look for one that had the most amount of different "strains" of good bacteria. I went to Whole Foods and they have a huge selection. I've also heard/read that the refrigerated ones tend to be better. Of course, I don't know if that's actually true...just basing that on the research I've done on them. I chose one called Primal Defense...it has like 10 different strains of good bacteria, and 50 billion live cultures in a dosage. From what I can tell, you have to take them for a good while before you start to notice a difference.

As for the bloating...I've heard they're supposed to help...at least I certainly hope so! I'm also taking a digestive enzyme with my meals, too...so I'm hoping that will help with the bloating too.

2009-03-08 10:17 PM

chicago
itll be weeks from daily use of probiotics till u notice it.
2009-03-09 9:31 AM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

Slightly off topic but just another thing to keep in mind...

Sometimes digestive problems are a symptom of something else...like stress.  I'm serious.  I had really really bad digestive problems for quite some time.  I had an endoscopy, a  colonoscopy, blood tests, other intestinal xrays...etc. etc.  I shudder to think the amount of money the AF spent on my GI system.  All they found was that I was lactose intolerant.  But cutting out lactose didn't fix me either.  Just made it a little better.  I tried eliminating all sorts of foods like gluten and wheat to see if it was an intolerance.  Nothing worked.

In the end, I pretty much self-diagnosed that my problem was STRESS.  If I was stressed out, I had issues.  Unstressed out, MUCH more normal.

My acupuncturist best explained it.  She said when you are stressed your body's weakest link is the first to suffer.  In some people (like me) that weak link is my digestive system.  So when I'm stressed, that's where it shows up.

2009-03-12 2:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Ft. Myers, Florida
My father was prescribed probiotics regularly. He has a degenerative brain disease that is shutting down his body and organs and his digestive system gets really messed up and doesn't know what to do with food sometimes. I know this is an extreme case, but the probiotics have helped tremendously. We avoid giving him fermented foods and anything with anything artificial in it because he just can't tolerate it, but the probiotic capsules have been wonderful. I highly recommend them.
2009-03-15 1:45 PM
in reply to: #1990056

I am trying to follow a candida diet and gluten, sugar, and to a lesser extent, fruit, is supposed to be eliminated.  I can't find any info on applying this diet to athletes.  I need carbs for training, but have to limit.  I have been limiting my sugar to before and after workouts. 

Anyone in a similar circumstance out there?  How are you managing?

2009-03-15 4:34 PM
in reply to: #2019027

User image

Master
Riverside, IL
anadeaa - 2009-03-15 1:45 PM

I am trying to follow a candida diet and gluten, sugar, and to a lesser extent, fruit, is supposed to be eliminated.  I can't find any info on applying this diet to athletes.  I need carbs for training, but have to limit.  I have been limiting my sugar to before and after workouts. 

Anyone in a similar circumstance out there?  How are you managing?

I hear ya! It's a tough diet to follow...especially if you're training for an endurance event. I'm basically in the same boat as you...I think I have Candida, so am trying to follow the no sugar & gluten diet...but I'm having a really hard time with it. I love fruit, and practically live off of whole grains! I'm anxious to hear some advice on this, as well. I can do pretty good for about a day or two...but then I cave in and end up eating something that isn't allowed. Hence the reason why I'm taking the probiotics and digestive enzymes.

Edited by nscrbug 2009-03-15 4:35 PM

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Probiotics: yogurt or supplement form Rss Feed