General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Chi Running Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-03-23 3:49 PM

User image

Western North Carolina
Subject: Chi Running
Who is using Chi Running and what kinds of problems (if any) have you run into?

I just started using it as a way to overcome a heel spur. It seems to be working, at least no new pains are developing. I was wondering if there are any long-term users out there who have modified the program to their specific needs, specifically, it says to restructure you posture to land with a straight foot as opposed to pronating. Won't his cause knee problems?

2005-03-23 5:47 PM
in reply to: #133313

Regular
New York, NY
Subject: RE: Chi Running
I've been following Chi Running for the last three months and it has been great. I don't pronate, so I can't speak to that specifically, but I have found that all of his other suggestions have helped my knees, shins, hips enormously--I have much less pain while I run and after I run than I used to have. So I would say go with his suggestions even if they feel weird at first.
2005-03-23 9:51 PM

User image

Master
Harvard, Illinois
I have been using Chi running. It made a huge difference in my running. I recently strained my right Achilles Tendon jump roping a little to hard one day so I haven't been able to run too much lately.

Mike
2005-03-23 11:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Winnipegosis

I'm kind of a Chi Weirdo. On my long runs, I run some of my run Chi-Style, and some of it using my normal running gait. I find it lets me rest a bit as I work different muscles. I haven't been able to practice my chi form all that much over the winter, what with too many hours on the treadmill and too few on the slippery streets, but I hope to work on my form more when the ice and snow melts up here.

In the meantime, I'll keep mixing it up.

2005-03-24 8:10 AM

User image

Expert
Potomac, Maryland
I've been using it for about three weeks.  The book is pretty detailed and lays out  the system like a whole new philosophy and style of running, but I think the changes advocated are pretty basic and make intuitive sense, particularly for longer distances and older runners (like me).  I'm a bit of an underpronater and so far I have not had any problems.  In fact, being more conscious of posture and how and where my foot lands has made me more secure about avoiding  a recurrence of an ITBS injury I suffered in January.  I think Chi running is helpful, but hardly revolutionary. 
2005-03-24 8:16 AM

User image

Veteran
Hawkins
What IS Chi Running?

2005-03-24 8:32 AM

User image

Western North Carolina
Simple answer: Using Tai Chi as a running technique.

The idea (as I read it) is to keep a strong core, and relax the rest of your body. While maintaining a strong core you lean forward and let your legs/ankles and arms relax as you "fall".

Get the book by the same name for the details.
2005-03-24 8:36 AM
in reply to: #133537

Master
Brooklyn, NY
kpar - 2005-03-24 8:16 AM

What IS Chi Running?

Do a google and you'll see.
2005-03-24 1:20 PM

Atlanta

I am trying to Chi.  I bought the book and I am trying to run like they say, but I am not 100% sure I am doing it correctly.  Mainly incorporating the relaxation.

Did it take anyone some adjusting to?  Was anything more sore than normally starting out with the new technique?

It also seems a bit more difficult on a treadmill.  Maybe it's just me learning how to run again.  I ran two miles in 11:34 at the age of 18, now at 34 that's one mile!

2005-03-24 4:54 PM

Regular
New York, NY
I DEFINITELY find Chi Running on the treadmill harder than it is outside. In fact, I've been having hip pain all week since running 3 miles on the treadmill this past Sunday. :-(

Here's my theory on why it is harder: in Chi Running, you are essentially supposed to get speed accidentally, by increasing your lean (using your lean as a "gas pedal," as the author puts it). However, on the treadmill you increase your speed by pressing a button and then keeping up with the machine. This makes it much harder to use your lean, because you have to lean enough to keep up, rather than naturally running as fast as your lean allows (as you would outside). To compensate, you have to push off more with your legs (rather than just picking up your feet), which for me puts more pressure on my hips in particular, but also on my knees.

I think focusing on relaxation is a good way to start. The two other parts of the technique which had the most impact for me were:
1. Focusing on landing my feet underneath/behind my torso, rather than in front of me (this helps reinforce the lean, and takes a ton of pressure off the knees)
2. Lifting up my foot above the ankles of my other leg, what the author calls "prancing" (this took pressure off my hips and allowed me to keep them loose while I run)

Edited by jtat17 2005-03-24 4:57 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Chi Running Rss Feed