United States
57F / 14C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 03m 47s
Overall Rank = 3/109
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 2/?
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4am(!), showered, ate PB/honey sandwich, started on my first diet coke. The car was all loaded, so all I had to do was get in and go. Checked the weather first: no rain! And...not cold. I think this is the first February trithlon I've ever done, adn it had the potential to be a weather unfriendly event. Turned out fine, though.
Event warmup:

1.25 mile run, 3 miles on the bike and swam about 400 yards. Would have liked to have ridden more, but damn, it was dark.
Swim
  • 05m 55s
  • 500 yards
  • 01m 11s / 100 yards
Comments:

Pretty good. Lots of the girl's college team swimmers raced. I started 5th and didn't catch anyone (although, I got close to the dude that started :30 up), and no one caught me. Out of the pool and into T1
What would you do differently?:

Not press the "stop" button on my watch when I finished.
Transition 1
  • 00m 30s
Comments:

Super fast T1. Left 2 of th4 people who started ahead of me behind, before I even got on my bike.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 31m 48s
  • 11.5 miles
  • 21.70 mile/hr
Comments:

Wow...turny. I'm pretty happy with 21+mph with all of those turns. I felt like I was accelerating/deccelerating the whole time. Felt really good, though.

On the first lap, I passed the 2 people left in front of me...and road that way the rest of the way.

Corner more aggressively.
Transition 2
  • 02m 54s
Comments:

Problems here. Everything was fine until I tried to put my second running shoe on, on my left foot. When i pointed my toe and tried to slip my foot in, my calf cramped up massively. Tried to work it out, but it wasn't hapopening. Every time I tried to get that shoe on, instant, excruciating pain. I didn't know what to do. I thought, for a second, that I was gonna DNF while leading the damn race.

During my cramp fest, the dude that started :45up on me came in and left.

Finally...I spotted a brick column. I hobbled over, sat down, stuck my toes in my shoe and pressed my foot up against the column. That let me wedge my shoe on without pointing my toe, and avoiding subsequent cramping. Success!

Meantime, the guy who started :30 up on me racked his bike.

Blargh. What should have been a :30 transition turned out to be almost 3 minutes.

Remember my enduralytes, stretch before I got off the bike.
Run
  • 22m 40s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

Hobbled out of transition, doing a crude imitation of running where I "run" without flexing my ankles. Because, at this point, calf #2 was cramping. I felt like I was running on peg legs.

Oh...and I took a wrong turn, going about 25 yards in the wrong direction before figuring it out.

In th efirst 400 yards, dude #2 passed me an dmy hobbling self, wich put me 3rd overall. Finally, after about a half mile, i finallyu started feeling better and could run normally. SO I picked it up and was running well.

Finished the first loop, and noticed dude #2 was coming back to me. Some guy said dude #1 was 2 minutes up, so it seemed like I was catchinghim, too. In the first quarter of the second lap, I passed dude #2 who said he felt like he was gonna puke. Back into 2nd...

Finshed lap # 2 feeling really strong and running really well. I was now about a minute down on dude #1, but with his :45 head start, I just needed to get back about another 20 seconds in the final lap. And, I could finally see him. Was I actually gonna win this race?

Just as I got that thought in my head, just past the start of the last lap, dude #2 chugs past me. Dammit. Obviously, he was feeling better. Knowing he started :30 up on me, I let him get about :10, and then marked him. That worked well for about a quarter mile, but then he picked it up and pulled away. And I just didn't have the legs to stay with him. But, close to the finish, dude #1 was only about :20 up. So I figured I got 2nd.

Have less cramps at the start. Not make a wrong turn.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around,

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Cramps, early season fitness.

Event comments:

So it turns out this sandbagger, who started 29th, won the damn race, pushing me down to third. Harvey (phatknot) finished about :30 up on me. Nice job, Harvey!

Last updated: 2009-03-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:05:55 | 500 yards | 01m 11s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/?
Overall: 0/109
Performance: Good
Not bad, considering this was a snake swim. So the 500 yards was really about 525 when you consider that not only do you do 10 laps, you also cover the width of the pool.
Suit: Oomph! onesie
Course: Snake pool swim.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:30
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:31:48 | 11.5 miles | 21.70 mile/hr
Wind: Little
Course: Four 3 mile loops, with a total of 34 turns, 12 of which were 180s. So...lots of turning.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:54
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:22:40 | 03.11 miles | 07m 17s  min/mile
Course: Three 1 mile loops.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2009-03-02 7:41 AM

User image

Giver
Subject: CRI Sprint Triathlon

2009-03-03 3:56 PM
in reply to: #1990952

User image

Elite
SE
Subject: RE: CRI Sprint Triathlon
sandbagger haha! i really suck. check my log for my race review. also, we should both note, they corrected the times and i didnt come first afterall. and you didnt get masters afterall. that part sucked. helluva race report though....
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » CRI Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed