General Discussion Race Reports! » Bank of America Gasparilla Half-Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Bank of America Gasparilla Half-Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Tampa Bay, Florida
United States
Bank of America
60F / 16C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 50m 43s
Overall Rank = 520/3439
Age Group = M 30-34
Age Group Rank = 66/246
Pre-race routine:

Spent some time w/ wife and her family at the expo, then had an early dinner at 5:30. Had lasagna, which I was a little iffy of. Next time I'll eat something a little more bland and less fatty. Got to bed at a reasonable hour and slept well (took a tylenol pm) although I kept waking up ready to go. Finally got up for good around 4:15. Had a cup of coffee, an Oodwalla bar I'd gotten for free at the expo and took a quick shower. Left the hotel room around 5:00 to meet up w/ my in-laws to walk the 1/4 mile or so down to the race start.
Event warmup:

Didn't really do any running before the race...just stretched a little after the walk to the race start. I wanted to conserve as much energy as possible, considering I'd never run this far before. Also, I knew that the tight start would mean a slow 1st mile or 2 so I figured that would be a good warm up.
Run
  • 1h 50m 43s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 27s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt pretty good at the start,though I was a little nervous about how my right knee would hold up through the race. I've been battling IT band issues since the beginning of December; at times I've been pain free for as much as a 2 week stretch, while other weeks I had pain after as little as 1.5 miles of running. Physical therapy and hip/glute specific exercises have definitely been helping. I've also been doing a lot of cross training (swimming and biking). Although, the bottom line is that the longest run I'd done EVER, was 8.5 miles in November right before the ITB problems. Because I'd never run close to the 13.1 miles, my goal time was tough to plan. I decided I wanted to at least break 2 hours, shoot for 1:55, and push for 1:50 if I felt good halfway through.

Anyway, back to the race...the start was nice and slow in the 8:45/mi range which was a good warm up. The crowd was really packed in the first few miles, so I took these a little slower than I wanted to to avoid having to weave around too many people and waste energy. I started near the 3:40 marathon pace group and figured that I'd hang around them until 7-8 miles, or until they changed route, and assess how I felt about the pace then. I quickly lost them in the chaos of the 1st mile. The first half of the race I had trouble reading my Garmin in the dark, so my pace was a little choppier than usual.

Miles 1-3: 8:56, 8:40, 8:29

After a couple of miles I felt warmed up, the knee was feeling good and so I just tried to keep a comfortable pace going.

Miles 4-6: 8:23, 8:22, 8:20

Around 6.5 miles we left the wind-protected setting of the neighborhood and began the out and back loop along Tampa Bay. This section proved to be some of the toughest running I've ever experienced. I don't know how hard the wind was blowing, but I really felt like the effort I had to run to maintain an 8:30-45/mi pace was equal to about 1 min/mi faster...which makes sense when you see my last couple of mile splits! This section had a gentle curve to the road and I kept on wondering when we were going to turn around. It was very demoralizing to fight the wind, not to mention my knee starting to hurt a little. Finally after about 3-3.5 miles we got to the turn around. By this time, my quads were screaming at me to stop but I knew there were only a few more miles left, with a tailwind no less!

Miles 7-10: 8:28, 8:32, 8:35, 8:42

I was so relieved to reach the turnaround and feel a little wind at my back finally. I started to do some math in my head to see where I might finish. I decided I'd try and hit the gas all the way home to get as close to 1 hr 50 min as possible. The next few miles were very painful on my muscles and joints, but not really that taxing on my cardio system. I think my cross training is definitely helping my overall fitness. I also think my fueling/hydration strategy worked very well for my 1st try. I ate 2 Clif shot blocks (w/ 1/2 caffeine) at the start, then ate one at the 5, 7, 9, and 11 mile marks. I also began drinking water or gatorade at these same mile marks. Overall, I felt like my energy level stayed really high and was definitely not a limiter (my leg muscles were the limiter!).

Miles 11-13: 8:13, 7:29, 7:21

Getting close to the finish, I was very happy to almost be finished with the pain I felt in my legs. About a quarter mile from the finish, I picked up some Mardi Gras beads some people were handing out. I kept my foot on the gas and cruised into the finish w/ my beads and a smile on!

Last section: 7:12 pace
What would you do differently?:

Train more extensively; my muscles/joints are not ready for this distance although my cardio system is. I simply need to be running more pain-free mileage.

Eat something lighter/blander the night before. No real issues, but I don't like the "brick in the belly" feeling.

Run better tangents. My Garmin said I ran 13.3 miles. Though some variance is probably normal, I still know I can do better at this.

Overall, I'm pretty pleased considering this was my first 1/2 mary and my training was cut short due to an injury. Looking forward to shaving time off this in the future.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and stretched for the next 30 minutes.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

-Lack of training

-Wind

Event comments:

Only issues I saw were the crowd at the start (unavoidable, but might be better to have separate 1/2 and full starts). My wife also had some issues with her chip that she's trying to work out. I don't have a huge frame of reference, but I think it was a very well-run race. I'll definitely do it in the future.

Last updated: 2009-01-10 12:00 AM
Running
01:50:43 | 13.1 miles | 08m 27s  min/mile
Age Group: 66/246
Overall: 520/3439
Performance: Good
Course: The course is an extremely flat loop through neighborhoods along Tampa Bay that finishes with an out and back section right next to the bay along the water that is about 3 miles out/back.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-03-02 11:51 AM

User image

Smyrna
Subject: Bank of America Gasparilla Half-Marathon

2009-03-02 12:00 PM
in reply to: #1991718

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Bank of America Gasparilla Half-Marathon
Hey, I think you had an awesome first race!! Good pacing and good job reaching your goal time in that Terrible wind ! You did a great job and Im looking forward to doing more with ya in the future!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Bank of America Gasparilla Half-Marathon Rss Feed