Trievents
34C / 93F
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 23m 33s
Overall Rank = 36/254
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 7/63
Pre-race routine:

I got up before stupid oclock this morning, wanted to get up to HIllary's early even though i wasn't racing for hours. I knew there was around 1100 women racing today (biggest Women's race in Aust!) so wanted to get a car park.

Was a little concerne about the lightning striking through the sky as I was driving up the coast! the forecast was for thunderstorms, so was worried it might rain and storm for the race. however as per usual when the weather man says possible rain I should just disregard it as it never seems to happen here.
Event warmup:

I had hours to wait for my wave, I was in the VERY last wave after tge mini tri and the middle distance tri and then the long distance (sprint) I think my wave actually started a good hour and a half after the first wave went.

it was great hanging out down on the beach though watching so many people doing their very first tri! I did my first tri at this race (it was located elsewhere then)
during the briefing for the middle distance race 2 dolphins started playing around near the swim buoys! was great to watch but I also heard alot of nervous girls worried about sharks.

I was just enjoying watching the dolphins playing
Swim
  • 12m 36s
  • 750 meters
  • 01m 41s / 100 meters
Comments:

I couldn't get a very good start position, so was stuck behind about 3 girls on the beach. The gun went off and I sprinted into the water, I normally just jog but my whole aim for today was just to see if I could smash it as hard as I could. so I sprinted into the water passing a couple of girls in thep rocess.

dived and off I went swimming away. I settled down and found a godo pair of feet to draft off. she had way too big a kick though so I moved to the side and suddenly found myself passing her.

I really wanted to try and swim a hard swim today after last weeks meander I wanted to make sure I can actually swim fast in a race. so I upped the pace a few times and made it hurt! (yep have realised i'm capable of doing that when I know its only 750ms!)

i really had no idea who was in my age group and who I needed to be passing as the waves were all in alphabetical order not age group which was different.

suddenly the swim thinned out a little and there were only 2 girls in front of me in my wave. I was pretty happy with that. we started passing the wave in front of us.

turned the last buoy and I bolted for the shore. feeling quite please with myself. there was quite a long run to transition but I checked my time getting out of the water and my 750m swim time was 11m30! pretty happy with that
What would you do differently?:

not much, not wear old crappy goggles that are passed their useby date, they fogged up within 20ms.

Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

times included in the bike time. I had a good transition threw off the wetsuit it came off pretty quickly. and off I went onto the bike
Bike
  • 44m 19s
  • 21 kms
  • 28.43 km/hr
Comments:

I really wanted to push teh bike, and just hold on for the run. so I did, my legs were screaming at me on the first lap, I realised I was definitely not recovered from Husky last weekend. but I decided that it was only 20k's so they could just deal with it.

It was great being in the last wave for once as I could actually pass people~! I did feel pretty great ticking people off as I went past. I did reflect that I also was in their position when I did my first womens tri too! after last week's competition and big of a ego deflation it was great to actually be out there passing people!

I really pushed it to the limit on my 2nd lap and just tried to hold my speed over 30k's for the last lap.
(my transition time is included in my bike time so I actually got an average of 32k/h on the bike!)

only 2 girls went passed me on the bike!! (pity it wasn't in age groups :) )

ride faster, probably not race a week after a long course race, drink more
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

very fast transition into the elastic laced shoes

not put elastic laces in 20mins before the transition is due to close the morning of a race :)
Run
  • 26m 36s
  • 5 kms
  • 05m 19s  min/km
Comments:

I was stoked with my swim and bike and just wnated to hold it together for the run. I trotted out of transition and started the run thinking to myself why on earth did i think that 5k was only short, I guess after last week ti was short but when I was running the 5 k it was not feeling that short at all.

I was determined though to run as fast as I possible could, I'm damn happy with my time, my legs were really ready to give up and my calf was aching for the first time in a while but I got through it and just tried to keep my pace up as fast as I could.

Run faster. I really need to run faster!
Post race
Warm down:

I mingled with the girls and chatted to everyone I knew, I was totally dehydrated it'd been a really hot night so don't think I drank enough the day before, I downed a whole lotta gatorade very quickly as soon as the race had finished.

then headed down to the beach and stood in the water for a bit with my friend

What limited your ability to perform faster:

racing the week before.

Event comments:

I love this race! now its moved to a bigger location its even better. such a supportive and fun race. its awesome seeing girls who've never done anything like this before out there giving it a go. one of the girls who'd done the womens trainig course had apparently lost 30k!

Last updated: 2009-02-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:36 | 750 meters | 01m 41s / 100meters
Age Group: 5/63
Overall: 18/254
Performance: Good
Suit: long sleeved 2xu wettie
Course: u shaped. out to a buoy turn right swim along the shore turn right at a buoy and back into the beach.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 21C / 70F Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:44:19 | 21 kms | 28.43 km/hr
Age Group: 5/63
Overall: 29/254
Wind: Some
Course: 3 laps with a few false flats almost hills.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 98
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:26:36 | 05 kms | 05m 19s  min/km
Age Group: 13/63
Overall: 85/254
Course: out and back along the beach front
Keeping cool Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2009-03-02 7:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Perth, Oz
Subject: Women's Triathlon

2009-03-02 8:47 PM
in reply to: #1992740

User image

Expert
Herndon VA
Subject: RE: Women's Triathlon

Great race Mel, especially after having done the Long Course last week.  Top ten in your age group is awesome.  Congratulations.

Ernie

2009-03-02 11:41 PM

User image

Champion
Sydney
Sounds like you had fun Mel!!! And hooray for passing people
2009-03-02 11:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne

Top 10 indeed. Top 5 outta the water. You must have given it some.

Great work! The long distance training pays off for the shorter races.

2009-03-03 1:35 AM

User image

Master
Perth, Australia

Awesome race Mel! What a fantastic result. I should have done this race, I live about 7k from Hillarys I could have just cycled down!!! I'm glad to hear that the new location is good. I'll have to pencil it in for next year

2009-03-03 1:32 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2009-03-04 4:27 AM

Expert
Perth, Australia
wow, well done, you really blitzed it, those times are brilliant.  Couldn't do this one so glad to hear that it was a good race and that Hilarys is even better than Crawley.  I think you deserve a bit of a rest now.
2009-03-04 7:18 PM

Perth, WA

You had an awesome result! Conditions were perfect after the storm!

Considering you raced last week, you did really well, imagine doing this race fresh!

2009-03-10 7:31 PM

Extreme Veteran
Brisbane QLD
Well done Mel!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Women's Triathlon Rss Feed