The Cowtown
40F / 4C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 03m 59s
Overall Rank = 313/906
Age Group = M 40-44
Age Group Rank = 45/88
Pre-race routine:

nothing out of the ordinary except I had a bowl of oatmeal which I normally eat for breakfast, except not on weekends.
Event warmup:

anything we could do to stay warm in those biting winds. Huddling with friends in a store's doorway seemed to work pretty well.
Run
  • 4h 03m 59s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 09m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

Considering I'd tweaked my left hammy the night before in my soccer game and had my bowels mutiny on me, I'm psyched to have only missed my goal by 4 minutes. If not for the 3 trips to the porta johns (miles 12, 16 and 21) due to whatever stomach virus decided to rear it's ugly head, I'd have made it. Overall run was pretty much a blur to me as I was making sure not to over exert the hammy, keep the wrap on it, focus on finding the next porta john and, after making a pit stop, trying to catch my brother and Angela. I caught Angela all three times (barely) but just couldn't get the leg to let me accelerate enough to close the 1/4 mile gap Gib had on me. Having those rabbits to chase kept me focused, though. What amazes me, is that the running gods were smiling and not more than 2 steps (literally) across the finish line, my entire left leg seized up. Really, ask Jeepfleeb. He was at the finish as I was grimacing and leaning on whoever would help hold me up. After about 5 minutes it unlocked and I was able to limp around the finishers' area for some food and yet another pit stop.
What would you do differently?:

Umm, not injure myself the night before? I can't complain, though, as it was in the first half of the game, which I had decided to play. I wasn't going to play the second half, but was called back into action by not having but one sub. We got smoked, too, so it was like a double whammy.
Post race
Warm down:

got to the food tent and ate anything i could.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

bad hammy, stomach virus.

Event comments:

Can't wait till next year!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-02-17 12:00 AM
Running
04:03:59 | 26.2 miles | 09m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 45/88
Overall: 313/906
Performance: Good
was 257/623 men
Course: Big, giant loop around north, central and the greater TCU area of Fort Worth.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-03-02 10:33 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas
Subject: The Cowtown Marathon

2009-03-05 2:19 PM
in reply to: #1993189

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas
Subject: RE: The Cowtown Marathon
Great job, now it's time to add 26.2 to your shirt!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Cowtown Marathon Rss Feed