United States
The Cowtown
38F / 3C
Total Time = 52m 20s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = F35-39
Age Group Rank = 12/213
Pre-race routine:

Woke at 4:20am. Got dressed and had a Boost and banana for breakfast. Babysitter arrived at 5:00am.
Event warmup:

Raegan and I got parked at 6:30am and then went to reg. and pick up pkts. Ran back to car to put stuff away and stay warm until race start. We then ran to the start line as a warmup.
Run
  • 52m 20s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

Very, very windy and cold today!!! The winds were between 25-35mph with a wind chill in the low 30's. Surprisingly, once I was running, the winds really didn't seem as bad as I was anticipating.

My watch dist. was off by alot, but as i passed the 1/2 way mark, I heard the time of 25:41 called out. That means that since I started :16 secs after the gun, I ran the first 5K in 25:26. Excellent for windy conditions.

I did walk briefly one time.. it was around 4.25mi and I was going uphill into a strong headwind. I just had to catch my breath! Once I did that I was fine and really picked it up the last .5mi.

I felt completely out of breath and sick when I crossed the finish line. I was so happy that I ran the time that I did especially since it was soooo windy and hilly. I actually didn't think i would come close to PRing, so I was just going to be happy with anything under 1 hour. But, I was able to PR my 10K time!! :) Now I wonder what I could do on a less windy day. Maybe I'll have to test that out next year! :)
What would you do differently?:

pick up packet before the day of the race, because it just added unnecessary stress
Post race
Warm down:

Raegan and I met up with my brother and a friend and hung out for a little bit, but then we started to get too cold. We all packed it up and headed to Whataburger.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

the wind

Event comments:

This was the first time for Raegan and I to do any part of the Cowtown. I really liked it! It definitely has a different feel to it then White Rock. Even with 17,000 people running in the various races, it didn't feel like that large of a race. It had a more hometown, cozy feel to it.

I thought that the post run food was good. We were handed a bag of food- yogurt, raisins, banana, candy, etc.. Then there was a place to get chips and guacomole, beer, hot chocolate, hot soup.

I also liked that the expo tent was right there to go in and get warm and walk around picking up some free goodies.

It was a good thing that we had to get there early for pkt pickup and to reg. Raegan, because we didn't have any problem finding free parking at all. I did hear of some missing their race because they were trying to park. Fort Worth is great with all of their free parking!

This is definitely a race that I want to do again!!

Last updated: 2009-03-03 12:00 AM
Running
00:52:20 | 06.21 miles | 08m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 12/213
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
no accurate splits due to my watch being off on distance by .4miles. Here are my inacurrate splits to show my pattern: 7:55,7:22,7:27,7:56,8:08,8:21,5:08 (7:47 pace) HR- 184/195
Course: started in Sundance Square and went through the city, thru Trinity Pk, and back through the city mostly an east/west hilly route
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-03-03 8:48 AM

User image

Veteran
Texas
Subject: The Cowtown - 10k

2009-03-03 9:30 AM
in reply to: #1993616

User image

Veteran
Austin TX
Subject: RE: The Cowtown - 10k
Wow!  Great race!  Congrats on your new PR!  
2009-03-03 6:59 PM
in reply to: #1993616

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas
Subject: RE: The Cowtown - 10k

Awesome job Sue! There were TONS of people out there. I am helping put on Joe's Run which is a 10k right near downtow on March 28th and it is a flat course, maybe you need to come back over and test that PR theory again!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Cowtown - 10k Rss Feed