General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First good FTP test of the year Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-03-03 11:08 AM

User image

Champion
Subject: First good FTP test of the year
It finally was calm enough to get an outdoor FTP test in, i had debated which one to use for a while and finally decided to make it interesting and do a full hour test (i ended uprunning out of road and cut it short at 55 min).

my last test i was at 161 pounds, went 259 for a 2x20 min test (i frankly do much better with something like that and wanted better hour long results+the longer workout).

Today i was at 149 for the weight, 266 watts was the outcome. today was a bit colder than last time (mid 30s this time vs 60 last time, so a bit more clothing on).

now the part i am really excited about, this time vs last time, both held on the same out and back road, same wind (none), same wheels. i changed my position about three weeks ago, which put my front end about 2in lower, and moved the saddle back a tab, and moved the armrests a bit narrower (my avatar was the older position). the results were much closer elbows, head/shoulders much lower, and a bit better handling.

now the fun part. ave HR stayed the same (with the lower position i was ok with that), power went up a bit (long test, colder weather, lower position, good so far).

ave speed went up a lot.
last time on those watts i ave 25.2 in training gear (the ave speed was for the 2x20 min, not the rest in between)
this time, more clothes, not a ton more riding, 26.1

i understand the speeds on their own mean nothing without knowing the course, but seeing the relation between the two is helping to understand how you can go faster on nearly the same watts/HR with a bit of position work. i dont put out huge numbers right now so any help i can get there is great:-)

cannot wait to try this out in warm weather with some aero toys

over the next month the focus is shifting onto the bike and making that the main focus as the weather warms up, so hopefully now that i am doing better with the position the numbers will come up with it.

2009-03-03 11:14 AM
in reply to: #1994072

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: First good FTP test of the year

Sweet!

I find it interesting to compare watts and pace on same course different days. Last year seems most of my races that I had done before I had higher watts in '08 compared to '07 but same or slower times. Weather conditions can make a big difference as to pace.

You changed your position so that obviously can make a big difference. Losing 12 pounds, increasing your watts all bodes well for a good season for you!

2009-03-03 11:14 AM

Grats!  I can't wait to be where you are :D
2009-03-03 11:20 AM
in reply to: #1994088

User image

Champion
for those riding with power, i would be interested to hear how many do their tests on a road bike/trainer, and then race with a tri bike?

i have heard some epople talk about doing this, but i think wouldnt that throw off the numbers a bit? i know when i moved the PM to the tri bike the numbers were lower but i was going much faster due to the postion.

2009-03-03 11:38 AM
in reply to: #1994106

User image

Extreme Veteran
Davidson

Dude, from where I sit, you are killin' it.  I can only dream of numbers like that.  Don't know how old you are, but I am 52, 154lbs. and just started cycling a year ago in conjunction with taking up triathlon.  This weekend, I decided to do a 20' FT test so I could determine my training zones while following Jorge's 16 week bike plan.  I couldn't do it when he started it for various reasons, but I pulled all of the workouts so I could follow the plan later.  Anyway, my 20-minute FT is 200 watts even.  I haven't had ANY training or coaching and basically, I have just been going out and riding.  So, I guess I put out about as much power as I deserve.  I am going to do the 5' FT test this week so I can get that number as well.  From a couple of other high exertion intervals, I am expecting around 300 watts for that.  In answer to your question, I got my readings from my indoor training cycle, a CyclOps 300PT.  I don't have a PowerTap hub on my bike, but I would like to get one.

Congrats on the successful test and the awesome results, I know these things can be killer workouts.

Greg

2009-03-03 9:08 PM
in reply to: #1994149

User image

Champion
greg,

thanks for the reply.
I'm not too old, 22;-) so the shorter harder stuff is a LOT easier for me than longer stuff, its still taking some getting used to to wrap my mind around cruising at those levels rather than just working harder to get it over with.

i also have a LOT more free time than a lot of epople to train right now, otherwise i am sure stuff wouldbe a lot lower

2009-03-03 9:33 PM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
for the winter I do my testing indoors but FTP tend to be around 5 watts lower. As soon a I start riding outside I test again and adjust my training levels with my outdoors power. When doing sessions on the trainer I try to adjust the power (again in my experience is around 5 watts lower). Year round I try to do do a 20 min and a 5 min maximal test and calculate my critical power (when training) and use it as benchmark to predict peaks; still on racing season I shoot to do a montly outdoors 10 mile TT x2  (it takes me around 40 min +/- depending on fitness and weather). During none-specific phase I mix up my ride between the road and tri bike, also I always do the TTs on my tri-bike because I want to be as adapated as possible on my aero position. As I start the specific phase I tend to ride my tri bike exclusively. BTW, I don't pay attention to HR
2009-03-03 9:42 PM
in reply to: #1995623

User image

Champion
thanks.

I dont use HR aside from now and again just to see whats going on (something for me to think about really), and when playing with new positions.
2009-03-03 9:50 PM

User image

Regular
Buckeye

keep up the good work!!!

I'd be interested in knowing the comparison of whether the increase in watts was due to training or slight position change on the bike.   And then whether the speed increase was due to being more aero, the watt per lb increase, or a combo of both.

At the level you seem to be outputtimg, I would think that you would be wise to spend some cash on some wind tunnel time instead of tinkering in outside world conditions.

2009-03-03 10:05 PM
in reply to: #1995669

User image

Champion
i wish i had the money to do that.

the increased watts i think is due mainly to training/better fitness.

I actually went down about 20 watts when i moved, but it has sinse come back up. i am however much more comfortable, and taking up a lot less space now, and not off an older knee and hip injury that the older position was.

i think the speed increase was a mix of both, there is no way that weight change on a flat course would yeild that much time diff (we are talking about a 7 foot total elevation change).

thanks
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First good FTP test of the year Rss Feed