Cheetah Herders
17F / -8C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 27m 49s
Overall Rank = /405
Age Group = 16-39
Age Group Rank = 143/162
Pre-race routine:

Ate waffles with peanut butter and a banana around 7:00am. Then got all my gear together and drove the hour and a half to Seeley Lake. The forcast said it was going to be 30 degrees at the start, but I knew that wasn't going to happen when it was 10 degrees on our drive down.
Event warmup:

Walked to the school gym to register and was slipping and sliding all over the icey road. It turns out my trail runners aren't very good on ice. Got registered and got our shirts. Cheetah herders make some pretty cool shirts :) Went back to the car to put on my garmin and amphipod belt. Attached my "get-a-grips" to the belt and felt like inspector gadget. Restroom of course. Then stood at the race start waiting to go and trying to stay warm. The start was about 20 minutes late and my toes were frozen. I don't think I've ever wanted to start running so much! Finally, the gun went off and we sorta started moving.

Run
  • 2h 27m 49s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

I planned to use this race as a fun training run, since I'm running my first full marathon in 5 weeks. My goals were to have fun, not get injured, and hopefully beat last year's time. I thought I could beat last year's time without pushing much, because I have quite a bit more experience now and have gotten faster since then.

The first couple miles were great, then the hills started and my calves started getting really tight. Last year when this happened I had to walk a couple times, this year I was able to continue running through it... happy about that.

At mile 5 when I turned onto Boyscout road which runs along the back of the lake, I was happy the road wasn't as icey as I thought it might be. It had a thick slick snowpack, but not sheer ice atleast. I thought about putting my "get-a-grips" on, but didn't really want to stop so just went ahead without them. I probably should have taken the time to put them on. I felt pretty good, but was suprised how slow my splits were. I felt like I was working harder than that, but I haven't had much chance to run in snow this year. I've spent 99% of the Winter in Tri-cities Washington, on the flats with no snow. That made the snowy hills quite a challenge!

At mile 10, I thought I still had a chance to beat last year's time. Only 5k left and I thought I had it in me to run a 30 minute 5k. So, I picked up the pace... for about 200yds ;) I did pass a few people in those last few miles, but I just couldn't seem to pick up the pace on the snowpack. My calves and achilles had started killing me again, and all I could do is pray for pavement again. I knew I would get some when the course turned back down the highway and figured I could do a sprint to the finish.

Then, mile 13 happened. After the 12 mile marker there is a long gradual hill still on the snow pack and my calves/achilles were screaming. This hill just kept going until reaching a short steep section right before the highway. I was so happy to see the highway, but my legs didn't want to go anymore. It took everything I had just to get forward motion. Managed to continue running, well more of a shuffle, up the steep hill and then, finally, pavement! I thought now I can GO! My legs didn't agree.

Slow shuffle downhill on pavement, how pathetic is that. At the bottom of the hill as I crossed the road to go to the finish line I was finally able to open my stride a little, just in time to finish about 2 minutes after last year's time. Oh well, there's always next year. :)
What would you do differently?:

Put on the "get-a-grips" and train in the snow and on hills more.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around trying to get my calves to loosen up, but they still haven't 3 days later.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training on hills and snow. No taper before the race.

Event comments:

This is a bare bones local race, so there isn't much in the way of activities. There are only 2 aid staions on the course, but for only $10 registration fee you really can't complain. The Cheetah Herders, who organize this race, are a fun bunch of people and do a great job of putting this event together each year.

Last updated: 2009-02-27 12:00 AM
Running
02:27:49 | 13.1 miles | 11m 17s  min/mile
Age Group: 142/162
Overall: 0/405
Performance: Below average
lap 1 10:13 lap 2 10:14 lap 3 10:58 lap 4 11:07 lap 5 10:55 lap 6 11:23 lap 7 11:34 lap 8 11:34 lap 9 11:47 lap 10 11:23 lap 11 11:25 lap 12 11:42 lap 13 12:06 Average hr 158 max 203
Course: A hilly loop course around Seeley Lake. The first 2 miles is flat on paved highway. At mile 3 the hills begin. Miles 3 to 5 is hilly along the highway. Then you turn onto a gravel road that runs along the backside of Seeley lake for about 8 miles. The backroad was snowpacked and slick with rolling hills. Mile 12 brings a long gradual hill with a short steep hill right before coming back onto the highway. The last .3 of the course is downhill to the finish.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-03-03 11:28 AM

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
Subject: Snow Joke Half-Marathon

2009-03-03 4:21 PM
in reply to: #1994125

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Snow Joke Half-Marathon
I think you did fantastic powering on with all than snow that you hadn't trained on. Running on anything else is going to feel like ez street when the calves stop holding you hostage!
2009-03-03 4:27 PM

User image

Master
That is one tough race!! Did you feel cold during the race? Snow and ice is so hard to run on, and adding hills to that is just craziness. You are tough. Congratulations and I really hope your legs start talking more nicely to you soon! Are you taking ibuprofin??

Congratulations once again!!
2009-03-04 3:41 AM

User image

Melon Presser

You are ONE TUFF CHICKIE!!!

I can't believe you ran a half-mary in the ice and snow--that's amazing!

Probably your EFFORT was definitely more than last year's, so really, it's still a PR

Great job toughing it out that crazy last mile with the hill.

2009-03-05 1:46 PM

User image

Montana
Great job Roni! Way to push through the hills and snow and ice.  I bet the marathon will feel like a piece of cake after this!
2009-03-05 11:31 PM

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CA

Great job!  You should be proud. While you may be down about the PR you stuck with the race that you intended to run.  You're in great shape and I look forward to your Mary race report!

2009-03-07 8:42 PM

User image

Master
Robbinsville NJ
Great job. Sounds like some tough conditions to do anything much less run a half mary.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Snow Joke Half-Marathon Rss Feed