Seaside Half-Marathon
39F / 4C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 55m 39s
Overall Rank = 492/1812
Age Group = F50-54
Age Group Rank = 10/88
Pre-race routine:

My pre-race routine is always the same -- get a bad night's sleep before the race! I started waking up hours before I needed to. Finally got up at 5, drank a cup of coffee and ate a Clif bar, and fretted about the weather until it was time to walk over to the start.
Event warmup:

Warm up??? YGTBSM!!! The weather was horrible -- 25-35 mph winds with higher gusts, overcast, and just plain miserable. We stood huddled behind a building until what we thought was the last possible minute, then lined up by the pace placards. Turned out that they held the race for 20 minutes, waiting for parking shuttles. So I shivvered for those 20 minutes, and my hands and feet turned into blocks of ice. Great warm up!
Run
  • 1h 55m 39s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

The conditions were terrible -- 25-35 mph winds (with higher gusts) directly in our face for the first 6.55 miles. It was 39 degrees and they held the race for 20 minutes, waiting for shuttle parking. Try running with blocks of ice for feet and hands for the first two miles!

The first mile was crowded, and as usual people didn't line up with their correct pace groups. I had to run around walkers immediately (that burns me up!), plus slower runners. The road is two lanes, so there isn't a lot of room to manuever, which made the first mile slow (that and those blocks of ice I called feet!). But after a bit the crowd stretched out and I was able to run my own pace for most of the race. My HR was unusually low for a race, though. Someone told me that may have been because of the cold weather.

Battling the wind wasn't fun. You'd be running along, then suddenly you'd get a gust and feel like you were being pushed backward. I just kept telling myself that I only had to worry about the wind for the first half, and it should be clear sailing on the second half. Unfortunately I still had to run the second half (not sail), and for the next several miles I was just able to maintain the pace I had established on the way out.

After dragging through mile 10, it dawned on me that I only had 5K to go! I conserved a little energy during mile 11, but started to gradually pick it up. Mile 13 was good, and my HR finally started to go up too. So I did the last 3.1 miles (or 3.16 according to my GPS) in 27:09 -- a respectable time for me at the end of a half marathon.

What would you do differently?:

Overall I'm pleased with my performance. I probably conserved too much energy during the first half but I was worried about the wind. My pace was pretty steady for most of the race, and I probably could have kicked it in earlier than I did. But I'm still very happy with the results! I took off about 4 1/2 minutes from last year.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, looking for my "peeps". They had my warm clothes, and I couldn't find them for about 15 minutes! So warm down became freeze up very quickly (temperature hadn't gone up a degree over those two hours). I threw on my warm clothes and we got out of there quickly.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Definitely the conditions. I was physically trained, although I had some mental games going on that were playing with me. But this was my first half in a year, and I hope it has helped me to prepare for the HIM in May.

Event comments:

The race sold out months ago. I hope they don't take that as license to increase the number of runners. That would be a disaster! There isn't enough room to handle any more runners on those narrow roads.

Last updated: 2008-12-23 12:00 AM
Running
01:55:39 | 13.1 miles | 08m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 10/88
Overall: 492/1812
Performance: Good
1 9:08 163 (had to work my way out of the crowd) 2 8:44 160 3 8:45 161 4 8:50 161 5 8:53 161 6 8:44 162 7 8:44 161 8 8:51 159 9 8:50 158 10 8:54 156 11 8:50 158 12 8:41 161 13 8:25 166 0.16 1:13 (7:36 pace) 171
Course: It's usually a pleasant course, out and back along scenic Hwy 30A. Today the course didn't change, but who cared about the scenery? Just get me to the turnaround! It was 6.55 miles out and back, and the wind was directly in our faces on the way out. There were a few rolling hills, which is hard to believe along the beach, right? But we run through Blue "Mountain" Beach so that tells you that there really are a few hills.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-03-03 4:24 PM

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL
Subject: Seaside Half-Marathon

2009-03-05 9:11 PM
in reply to: #1994930

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Subject: RE: Seaside Half-Marathon
That was a tremendous race for you. Your splits are terrific and the lower hr is positive too. I talked to a couple of folks who did the race, you sure didn't overstate the conditions. Great to have such a solid run base 2 months out from Gulf Coast. Now get on that bike.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Seaside Half-Marathon Rss Feed